Fleetwood Neon

4x4junky

Neon or Cobalt

I am looking for a Neon for one of the guys I Jeep with to lift and use as an extreme trail camper. Not much luck finding any if anyone knows about one forsale. I personally modified a Fleetwood Cobalt because I have a family or 4 and need the room, but have been able to take it on some incredible trials here in Colorado! (see photos)

Last edited:

Dave

Explorer
4x4junky said:
I am looking for a Neon for one of the guys I Jeep with to lift and use as an extreme trail camper. Not much luck finding any if anyone knows about one forsale. I personally modified a Fleetwood Cobalt because I have a family or 4 and need the room, but have been able to take on some incredible trials here in Colorado! (see photos)

Have you contacted Fleetwood? When I was shopping for mine, they sent me a list of dealers that had showed them in stock.

Otherwise, I know of one that might still be for sale in Arkansas, but I'm not sure if you're willing to drive that far.

Can you post some more info on your Cobalt? Looks like a SOA, what else? :)

PhulesAU

Explorer
kcowyo said:
From the files of BajaTaco -

L_cdd48.jpg

L_cdd47.jpg

L_cdd49.jpg

These are the only ones I recall seeing Dave. There may be others out there somewhere...... :peepwall:
Is the guy in the black hat the owner? He's looking like we're about the same height. I'd wonder about stretch out room.

4x4junky

Fleetwood Cobalt

I don't want to cloud the Neon Thread with Cobalt but it's all good. Fleetwoods in general seem to be pretty well made. I have abused mine (as you can see) and it has held up very well. Another good point is factory electric trailer brakes which help ascending extreme trails with a lighter vehicle.

TheGillz: We camp all over Colorado and Moab, Utah. A lot of remote areas in the Salida or Ouray, CO areas. Most of the previous pics are a trail up to Grizzly Lake near Mt. Princeton.

Dave: I love my Cobalt. It has so much room for its relatively compact size (compared to full pop-ups) The box may look wide at 6’2 x 8’ but I have taken this thing thru the toughest switchbacks and tightest trees you can imagine. 1,200 lbs for easy pulling, sink, stove and heater. Sleeps 4 comfortably, 6 if you had to. The beds end up being shorter than the Neon because of the orientation. I’m 6’1” and wouldn’t want to be any taller than that. I load bikes, canoes and all kinds of crap on top of it. I added about 6” of lift and changed out the 20” tires for 28” tires. I am in the process of changing out the factory leveling jacks and swapping for a low profile step. The next phase is to add a few skid plates, a heavier rear bumper with recovery hooks, and modify the tongue to put a small platform for storage. The last Phase next summer will be even larger lift/tires (when Jeep gets larger lift/tires) solar panel for long trips and a swing out bumper I designed with Grill and Storage (Crazy!)

It’s been a fun little project and it’s great to watch all the heads turn when people see you bring this camper up a super extreme trail to some beautiful remote site. I've seen some AT Chaser Trailers on some extreme trails, but never a full Pop-up! The Neon is a cross between the AT Chaser and Cobalt and I personally think it would be the perfect combination of camping luxury and trail capability after some serious modifications and 30" or larger tires.

View attachment 21970 View attachment 21971 View attachment 21972 View attachment 21973

Last edited:

Dave

Explorer
4x4junky said:
I don't want to cloud the Neon Thread with Cobalt but it's all good.

By all means, cloud away! There's enough similarities that a modification to Cobalt would likely apply to the Neon.

4x4junky

Fleetwood Cobalt

DAVE:

I did not change out the axel or bearings and did a relatively inexpensive lift since I knew I would probably change it out at some point. Even with new springs it was less than $100 in parts and did the basic cutting and welding myself. I simply bought longer leaf spring hangers and installed spring shackles (Like an older YJ Jeep). Added 2” square tubing blocks at the frame for more lift and increased welding surface to the thin frame metal. I bought new springs with a little more arch and bolt eyes on both ends. Not sure about the Neon, but the Cobalt had a sliding connection on the rear point of the spring. My design would work for the your trailer, but we are planning to lift a Neon for a friend (if we find one) and I really like the AT Chaser "Dual Trailing Arm" design. We plan on contacting Adventure Trailers and see if we can just buy the entire suspension system as aftermarket parts. I would even like to get something like this on my Cobalt since it eliminates the axel and acts like a skid over rocks

The leveling jacks I am getting are similar to the "C" type that come from the factory, but are a little more heavy duty. I am hoping to be able to tuck them more up into the frame so they are not as exposed to rocks on the trail.

Good Luck!

View attachment 22012 View attachment 22013 View attachment 22014 View attachment 22015

Last edited:

gonzo4x4

Gonzo4X4 NEON

I just bought Neon, about 2 months ago. Shipped it home to BAJA and haven't seen it since, becuase I travel for a living.

I also plan to lift it with at least 28 in tires, depends on how high it can go. The shackles are a good idea, I had lifted a previous utility trailer, an 30 inch tires, but when backing up over obstacles, the unshackled leaf springs would slip out of of their mounts, so I sold it. So now i think I will change the springs on the Neon to ones with shackles.

Can't wait to get home and start tinkering. Life on the road doesn't allow much offroading. Good to hear about ideas on these cool little trailers.

97 wrangler
06 fleetwood neon

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
4x4junky,

Just coming back to this thread, would you mind reposting any of these attachments (they're likely away until Nov). I have been very much considering the E1 but I think it is still a tad too big. Cobalt seems right, and would love some pics.

4x4junky

Extreme Fleetwood Trailers

Here are some pics again of the Coblat and Neon that our group of 4x4 buddies have modified. We have relocated the Fenders up higher on the Neon and it looks Bad AXX now! You can take the Neon on any trail for sure now!

Attachments

• 4x4c.jpg
    4x4c.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 1,232
  • 4x4b.jpg
    4x4b.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 6,128
  • IMG00021.jpg
    IMG00021.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 3,697
  • IMG00022.jpg
    IMG00022.jpg