Fleetwood Neon

MountainD

Adventurer
I am looking into some heat for the cooler months. I know Webasto/Espar/Planar make decent units and there is an (obvious) knock-off from China with pretty good pricepoint. Anyone get one of these? I know if it broke, getting parts may be hard, but we are talking 1/2 to 1/3 the price. Just looking for feedback past the obvious knock-off lessons... Hopefully from someone that got one of these...

s-l1600.jpg

Ebay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-5000W-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

pokealong

My dream is to put a slider on the tongue so that I can have a gear box that slides out to hold all my kitchen stuff. :)

Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg
Did you just bolt that on or did you weld it on? Also, what is holding your battery in place?

It is all bolted on through the frame so it takes about 20 minutes to take off. The battery box is relocated and bolted on also. My little TW200 fits on there perfectly!

I also have a pickup toolbox that goes in the same space for storage that is an easy bolt on and provides lockable storage.

Jeff

Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg
With all this added weight on the tongue, what keeps the trailer from wanting to shake. Are you balancing more weight over the wheels?
I have only used it a couple of times and never that far. It has been totally steady back there with the bike only weighing about 275 pounds.

Maybe I should test it on the highway at speed for a long drive. I usually load some large Pelican cases in the camper so that weight might be enough.

Jeff

Do you think it is unsafe to have the bike on the tongue like that?

Last edited:

NevetsG

I have only used it a couple of times and never that far. It has been totally steady back there with the bike only weighing about 275 pounds.

Maybe I should test it on the highway at speed for a long drive. I usually load some large Pelican cases in the camper so that weight might be enough.

Jeff

Do you think it is unsafe to have the bike on the tongue like that?

Improper trailer weight distribution can make a trailer very unsafe, with the most dangerous being too little weight on the tongue. Ideally, tongue weight should be about 10 percent of the total trailer weight. Too much tongue weight will make your vehicle's steering less responsive. Too little and the trailer might wag dangerously with a gust of wind or sudden lane change. So, considering the trailer has a max weight limit of 1500 lb, need to verify, but it could likely handle 2000 lbs, that puts you just a little over. Since it is such a light trailer a pickup should be able to handle this tongue weight provided you don't overload it, and a safe rule of thumb is to limit your load to 80% of GVW of your vehicle for good handling and control.

Think of your trailer AND truck like a boat, unbalanced weight can sink you.

I'm very sensitive to weight when I use my 2 door Jeep TJ to haul it, but when I use my Taco, I'm a little less worried.

Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg
Improper trailer weight distribution can make a trailer very unsafe, with the most dangerous being too little weight on the tongue. Ideally, tongue weight should be about 10 percent of the total trailer weight. Too much tongue weight will make your vehicle's steering less responsive. Too little and the trailer might wag dangerously with a gust of wind or sudden lane change. So, considering the trailer has a max weight limit of 1500 lb, need to verify, but it could likely handle 2000 lbs, that puts you just a little over. Since it is such a light trailer a pickup should be able to handle this tongue weight provided you don't overload it, and a safe rule of thumb is to limit your load to 80% of GVW of your vehicle for good handling and control.

Think of your trailer AND truck like a boat, unbalanced weight can sink you.

I'm very sensitive to weight when I use my 2 door Jeep TJ to haul it, but when I use my Taco, I'm a little less worried.

Wow, this is fantastic information and I will definitely be checking these weights and their distribution. Thank you for the education.

I got the trailer from a good friend, and he put the motorcycle rack on it and used it many times to trailer his dirtbike to events that were longer distances. I road with him at these enduros and off-road rallyes and used to bug him all the time to sell it to me. He finally did - for a great price - when he upgraded to a larger camper. I will ask him how it performed for him on the highway. His bike is roughly the same weight as mine, so I never thought about the handling of it. I have only used it shorter distances and given that my tow vehicle is a 2015 4Runner (heavier), I imagine that the weight is around 4700 pounds, and a bit more loaded - closer to 5000 pounds with awning, 2 passengers, camping gear, I am about definitely heavier than when I had my Tacoma pickup.

The Fleetwood Neon is listed at 940 pounds dry weight so loaded with gear and a 250-pound motorcycle it is probably closer to 1500 pounds - correct me if I am wrong.

I appreciate and respect your thoughts and opinions and will heed your warnings.

Thanks,
Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz