Gen 3 debate, 3.5 or 3.8?

kbahus

Adventurer
I called one "dealer" in Chicago twice today with no answer that had an 03, sent an email on another 03 with no reply. It's hard enough to find a truck that fits the bill let alone find one that I can actually purchase. I did find an 02 XLS locally with 96k on it but it was way overpriced and they were not interested in budging on the price.

Interested to see a Gen3 on 35's, I wonder how it will fill/fit the wheel wells. Also, those King's will be quite the upgrade, that is a big step up from an off the shelf shock.

kbahus

Adventurer
The rusty gen2.5 sold and I drove a couple hours to an 02 Limited that looked good in the pics but upon arrival was in very rough shape, smoked in, broken everything, and just plain expired. The hunt goes on.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I have a 2001 Ltd and agree with what's been stated. Yes, it rears up on three wheels quite a bit, but that limited-slip rear diff is truly amazing. I have the same size tires as Inyo_man (265/75 16) and in an all-terrain tread...am quite happy with the ground clearance and amazed at the traction and overall competence of the beast. I happily flew to Las Vegas for mine and had a very nice experience picking up this perfectly rust-free rig.

We pack the hell out of it...hugely overloaded when the kids come with us on cross-country camping trips...heavy roof rack with way too much crap up there, and we have no trouble driving comfortably on the interstate. Only when pulling a grade on the high mountain passes does the truck feel anemic. While I might dream about the 3.8 and TC on the '03+ models, the cost differential quickly brings me to my senses.

I've trimmed her skirts quite a little to minimize the low-hanging bits and have installed some trail armor to compensate for the modest ground clearance. I'd like to do the modest OME lift but it really can do OK without it.

12061811935_1e183a8903_c.jpg
12062209684_4e51f0ee9b_c.jpg

nckwltn

Explorer
Here is a + for the Gen 3 (at least the 3.8L version). You don't have to remove the AC compressor or Hydraulic steering pump to do the timing belt!!!

Getting the AC compressor undone is a HUGE pain on the 3.5

earljuic3

Adventurer
We have owned 3 of these rigs now,

I currently have a 2002 Limited with every dealer option that was available at the time. I have owned another 3.5 and a 2003 3.8. While the 3.8 does have a bit more power it is not amazingly different so I wouldn't necessarily base my purchase off engine size. The timing belt / air compressor issues I agree with on the 3.5 but most people don't do their own timing belt so there again I don't know if I would base my decision off that unless you are a capable grease monkey. With all that said, the 2001-2002 Montero has the best overall appearance in my opinion and if I buy another one (which is likely) it will definitely be a clean 2001-2002 Limited. The Montero's we have owned have seen everything from Minnesota winters to the Everglades in Florida and not one of the 3 we have owned has ever let us down when it really counted. I think the best take away is just that, whether you buy the 3.5 or the 3.8 you will have a very capable rig that you will most likely fall in love with :) Good luck!

@ Sabre - what brand is your roof rack? Looks great!

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Earl, that's a no-name aluminum rack that I picked up on Craigslist for $20. While it did the job I wanted it for, it was overwhelmed by the stupid weight up there (spare tire, hi-lift jack, two fuel cans, etc) combined with endless corrugated roads in roaming around the west. I've welded up a much stronger (and heavier) one as the aluminum was fatigue cracking.

kbahus

Adventurer
Drove 2 hours to check out an 03 Limited today. While it is the best one I have seen yet I am not sure it is for me unless the price comes down. It was really clean inside, very little undercarriage rust, and overall was nice. It did have the faint smell of what I would tag as burning coolant in the exhaust when I cold started it and it made a rotational noise from likely a brake pad or wheel bearing. The exhaust cleared up after a test drive and it ran really well with much more power than I expected. Also the rear wheels are sitting with a ton of negative camber on both sides, I would say neg 2.5degrees at minimum.

Does anyone elses truck smell on cold start? I suppose worst case scenario it needs headgaskets and diff bearings which is pretty bad. On the other hand the smell could be me freaking out and it just needs brake pads. Also, any way to visually tell if it has the updated crank pulley bolt?

20141029_144348.jpg

Attachments

• 20141029_152352.jpg
    20141029_152352.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
We have owned 3 of these rigs now...With all that said, the 2001-2002 Montero has the best overall appearance in my opinion and if I buy another one (which is likely) it will definitely be a clean 2001-2002 Limited.

Why? Can you offer some specifics? I am contemplating adding a Gen 3 to the stable as a daily driver, and I know it will see a fair amount of trail use as well.

Monstero

Adventurer
See looks wise I like the smooth look of the lower body trim on the 03'S and up...I never did like the ribbed trim on earlier models. I cam sing nothing but praises on my 03 that is about to turn over 148k. I have beat on mine hard and it has only asked for more with a smile on and regular maintenance.

earljuic3

Adventurer
The biggest reasons I feel that way (personal opinion obviously) are I actually disagree with most people about the ribbed trim I prefer that look, you can buy an 02 sometimes with equal or less miles on them than the 03+ trucks. I just drive around town back and forth to work and play on the weekends and I can never recall one time feeling my 02 didn't have enough power for how I use my truck. Another thing I like is I can get a fully loaded 02 limited with all the trimmings for less money than a base model 03...I also really hate the little round fog lights that come on the newer trucks, the cat-eye looking fog lights on the 01-02 have better look to me if you are keeping the stock bumper for a while.

Just my 2 cents :)

montypower

Adventure Time!
Drove 2 hours to check out an 03 Limited today. While it is the best one I have seen yet I am not sure it is for me unless the price comes down. It was really clean inside, very little undercarriage rust, and overall was nice. It did have the faint smell of what I would tag as burning coolant in the exhaust when I cold started it and it made a rotational noise from likely a brake pad or wheel bearing. The exhaust cleared up after a test drive and it ran really well with much more power than I expected. Also the rear wheels are sitting with a ton of negative camber on both sides, I would say neg 2.5degrees at minimum.

Does anyone elses truck smell on cold start? I suppose worst case scenario it needs headgaskets and diff bearings which is pretty bad. On the other hand the smell could be me freaking out and it just needs brake pads. Also, any way to visually tell if it has the updated crank pulley bolt?

View attachment 253963

You need to be parked on level ground if evaluating the camber. This is a non issue especially if you want to lift it.

No, it should not smell like coolant. However, if the coolant levels are full then probably condensation. Head gasket failure is not common on these trucks. Wheel bearings are not real common. If the noise went away it is definitely NOT the wheel bearings (they get noisier) most likely some oxidation on the brake rotors.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Thanks Earl. Sounds like your decision factors are primarily aesthetic. I was looking more for mechanical differences that translates into performance or capability.

earljuic3

Adventurer
My posts thusfar have all spoken to the power argument, if you need the power get the 3.8 if you want the better rear end and a truck with more options cheaper get the 3.5. Hope that's a little more concise! :)

kbahus

Adventurer
That is good to hear regarding the head gasket situation on these vehicles, that makes me feel a bit better.

An 02 Limited popped up for sale I am going to go look at tonight. The BMW is going in for a transmission and I start my new job Monday so I will be buying one of these two vehicles as my time has expired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles