Gen 3 debate, 3.5 or 3.8?

kbahus

Adventurer
Got it back from the shop with the new driver's side wheel bearing and the noise is unchanged. I am starting to wonder if it's the bad lower ball joint causing increased road noise but it's the wrong side. It sounds just like a bad wheel bearing, but it is unchanged when swerving (loading/unloading), accelerating, decelerating, putting the truck in N, 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive, etc etc. It is purely speed dependent and increases starting at 40mph and is real loud around 45-50 and starts to quiet down around 65 and is faint at 70. I did notice it momentarily will disappear when hitting a random bump in the road that causes the front end to lift which got me thinking about the ball joints. Any ideas?

Bottom line is the ball joint and a tie rod need to be replaced so I guess these are going to be next on the list regardless. I wish I could throw a better suspension on it now and do the alignment and be done.

kbahus

Adventurer
Picked up a nail the other day and decided to go ahead with tires. I was going to pick up some new KO2's but got lucky and snagged some almost new 265/75R16 Duratracs off Craigslist, they even came with replacement certificates from Discount so I couldn't say no. I am really glad I went with the 3.8 after putting these tires on. I also lucked out and my wheel bearing noise turned out to be a tire, crazy.

Attachments

• 20141205_120749.jpg
    20141205_120749.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 55

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Picked up a nail the other day and decided to go ahead with tires. I was going to pick up some new KO2's but got lucky and snagged some almost new 265/75R16 Duratracs off Craigslist, they even came with replacement certificates from Discount so I couldn't say no. I am really glad I went with the 3.8 after putting these tires on. I also lucked out and my wheel bearing noise turned out to be a tire, crazy.

Sounds like good carma, that's karma for your car.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I noticed you put valvoline tranny fluid in....I would go have a flush done with Mitsu SPIII if that's what it calls for. The universal stuff is no good.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I would just personally stick with genuine straight SPIIII personally. Not sure if the 5 speed tranny is as picky as the 4.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Common problem. Many Pajero owners have talked about it. Solutions: worn out trans mount (replace it) - others have remove the vibration dampener block attached the the rear of the tcase (it magnifies the vibrations).

There are tons of bushings in this truck. The body is not isolated from the subframe (bolted directly to it). So every component has bushings to limit vibrations. I've been replacing bushings as I've removed parts (failed or not). The front axle assembly has 4 bushings. Rear axle has 4 bushings. My rumble noise seems to have greatly decreased since replacing the rear axle to subframe bushings (not noticeable now). It not worth replacing these unless you are installing lockers / regearing. Lots of work involved. They start getting a bit sloppy over time / use.

dieseltechJay

Observer
Yes, I'm resurrecting an old thread, but this was the same exact debate I was having in regards to looking for my dream Gen3 (still looking). I worked for Mitsu from 2000-2002 and raced cars. I always prefer less weight, hate leather, and despise sunroofs and chrome. During my tenure the XLS was what I wanted, but I coveted the Sportronic 5spd from the Limited. Granted the Sportronic has always been more of a "suggestion stick" than the shiftable automatic it was touted as, I still loved having 5 gears and the 1 extra MPG it helped get. When the 3.8L was introduced after I left the XLS became the one to have even more. Now I could have more power, the 5spd, and delete the safari sunroof as well. It's on my wish list still, but I have my Gen2 for now to tinker with.

datsun72

Bringing this back up. A few questions:

-Is the LSD(01-02) worth it compared to the 03+ "electronic" lsd?
-Can I swap in a LSD to the rear of the 03+?
-If the truck has 150k miles, can I still flush the trans? Is it flush or drain and fill?
-How would the 03+ do on the beach, want to be able to drive off and on the beach with no issues.
-Should I look below 150k miles?

Last edited:

KyleT

Explorer
My 06 has 202k miles on it. I would absolutely get a 03-06 limited. You can swap the lsd and lower gears if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94