Leaf spring question???

AZ_Ray

Observer
I was just told by a Reputable spring shop that I would take a lot of work to have a weigh carring spring that is lifted 7" to match my tow vehicle, also that I "just can't use a standard lifted leaf spring and have it hold the same weight as if it was installed on the truck". Is this guy just blowing smoke, it seems that way from all the research I've done.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Trailer estimated specs 2100lbs empty(using all steel full size utlity bed) gross weight appx 5,000lbs

My build thread link

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/128482-The-quot-Monster-s-quot-tail-build-thread

dstock

Explorer
Is your plan to use the same springs as on your Excursion? Perhaps he is referring to the lightness of the trailer versus the Excursion and that the trailer would be too light for the leaf spring?

AZ_Ray

Observer
Is your plan to use the same springs as on your Excursion? Perhaps he is referring to the lightness of the trailer versus the Excursion and that the trailer would be too light for the leaf spring?

Sorry for the confusion, but that is not what he saying. He is saying that the excursion leaf springs wouldn't be capable of handling the weight of the trailer being only a single axle.

dstock

Explorer
Sorry for the confusion, but that is not what he saying. He is saying that the excursion leaf springs wouldn't be capable of handling the weight of the trailer being only a single axle.

Interesting. I guess if you plan to hit 5000lbs loaded he may have a point. Still if the internets are to be believed, if the gvwr of the Excursion is 8600lbs one would think you could get away with the same leaf springs on the trailer. My other suggestion would be to talk to Bill at http://alcanspring.com/ in Colorado. I got a quote for new springs for my M101A1 of about $500. I ended up finding used ones but they seem very knowledgeable and helpful and probably would be good to have a second opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke