NH Late Fall Foliage Overland Adventure Route - Completed

ExploringNH

Explorer
We just got in from a fantastic weekend of driving. In total we ran a 245 mile route. For me, this ended up being 430 miles total from my house and back. A lot of driving for just a couple of days! I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to spend a weekend with.

The photos below are a collection from the group. I don't claim credit for all of them. For all of the photos: http://forums.exploringnh.com/showt...oliage-Overland-Adventure-Tour-Picture-Thread

The plan was to start around Lincoln, NH and end somewhere near Plymouth or Sanbornton, NH. This would take us on a counter clockwise spiral through and around the White Mountain National Forest on some of the most scenic roads NH has to offer. We would be traveling off of major highways as much as possible and trying to find the best back roads around. As always, I knew that we wouldn't stick exactly to the plan, modifying it as we went to adjust for time and scenic stops.

attachment.php

The ride up was showing that the rain we have been having for the past couple of weeks has really done a number on the foliage. Most of it was knocked off of the trees. We were expecting this, so no big deal. Things were still VERY scenic.

attachment.php

We started in Lincoln, NH with a quick stop for supplies. We had a good mix of vehicles for the trip and an eclectic collection of license plates. Texas, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and of course, NH. Everyone was well prepared and we would all be sleeping inside the vehicles, except for Nick who would be camping out in his roof top tent.

IMG_6282.JPG

We took off and made our way straight to the Kancamagus Highway. This first day would include significant pavement driving and lots of opportunities for short hikes.

IMG_6289.JPG

IMG_6300.JPG

We made our way along the Kanc and through an old covered bridge. This one was labeled as having a height clearance of 7'9". My truck is 7'8" and I was a little nervous. After slowly working into it, it was obvious that the bridge was closer to 10' than it was to 8'.

IMG_6329.JPG

IMG_6334.JPG

Out of time, so I will have to update text later. More photos in the following posts.

Willman

What a cool trip. Man your Ford Excursion is a nice platform! Looks like a queen size bed back there.

Thanks for sharing!

ExploringNH

Explorer
THanks everyone. It was a good trip. I'm looking forward to next year.

What a cool trip. Man your Ford Excursion is a nice platform! Looks like a queen size bed back there.

Thanks for sharing!

One night a while back I had parked on a little bit of an angle to the side. I woke up in the middle of the night to find myself laying sideways across the mattress. Apparently I fit that way. It's a big truck which has it's drawbacks on the trails but it is nice to have the interior space. The only thing lacking is headroom.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Beautiful pics, beautiful colors, neat JKU and a happy pup-

Great trip-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
looks like a grand time was had by all

wanted to attend but the rig was in the shop, hoping next year

& your ford towers over the other lifted rigs

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
Had a great time, thanks again for all the planning & leadership Ryan. Great group of guys, girls, and pups. I love this style overlanding! Just over 500 miles for me that weekend.

IMG_6412.JPG

IMG_6416.JPG

IMG_6445.JPG

IMG_6466.JPG

IMG_6470.JPG

IMG_6475.JPG

IMG_6633.JPG

IMG_6684.JPG

IMG_6750.JPG

IMG_6810.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics