Point Five Ambo Build

patoz

Expedition Leader
Tom, you just wait. When I finish mine, I'm going to take every piece of scrap and junk I didn't use, put it all in a crate and send it to you. :D

rlrenz

Explorer
The Hoseline system doesn't just control the temperature with a simple on/off set of contacts, it's a whole lot more complicated. I checked, and I was wrong at the $1000 - I see the control system available on line (Johnny's A/C Parts Warehouse) for only $646.60. FYI - here are some photos of the complete system, plus a photo of the electrical schematic - Remember, this thing meets the requirements for an AMBULANCE environmental control system.

This is the control panel that is available on EBAY for $299.99
CM3000 control panel.JPG

This is the entire control system - the CM3000 panel, plus the RCB-3000S. The control panel is useless without the RCB-3000S
Hoseline CM3000.JPG

And a photo of the complete package:
CM3000 complete.JPG

flightcancled

Explorer
For reference my system is a simple double toggle switch that rather puts the system into AC or heat (opens valves to the rear unit).
A simple house thermostat then triggers the fans.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Tom,

Here is fairly cheap ($60.00) External 12 Volt Thermostat for all auxiliary AC/heater units that use an external thermostat, which is usually located in the action area.

It looks better than what we have now at least.

thermostat.JPG

http://ambulanceparts.com/external12voltthermostatforallac.aspx

patoz

Expedition Leader
Just a quick update:

My build is on temporary hold while I get another vehicle ready and sell it. Hopefully, it won't be long.

Well, the sale of that vehicle has been completed and now I'm ready to get back to work on this project, but it's been raining a lot the last week or so. I need about five to seven solid days of good weather for the next stage, which is open up the front; rewire everything that needs to be, add any new circuits including running all new battery cables; figure out my air-conditioning situation and duct work; install a window; design an additional space for the new Blue Sea Systems AC/DC panel; and a bunch of stuff I haven't thought of yet. Then I need to design a semi-temporary removable panel(s) that's water tight to close up the front again. The final panel(s) will be Diamond Deck metal I think.

Judging by the lack of post on everybody's build threads, I guess the winter weather has put a hold on everything.

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Winter, Honey-Dos, and playing with my new-to-me Taco. Most of the Honey-Dos are about as done as they're going to get for now. Not much I want to do to the Tacoma that's not a fairly quick and easy bolt on, and I JUST ordered my transmission cross member and xfer case shift kit from Chris. Just about to get back on it. Gotta get moving because it's starting to sound like my summer free of "camping" road trips has been squashed, or at least a bit squished. Her and the kids already talking Disney again, and lord knows what else. I spent last summer making a loop from Ohio to Florida, back to Ohio and then out to Wyoming, down to Texas and then back to Ohio. I was fairly burnt at the end of that one. I swear when that Ambo is done I'm going to find a "business" trip I need to go on for about week, just me my dog, so we can find a spot in the woods and burn hot dogs on a fire all day.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Tom,

I know what you mean, I keep getting side tracked also. Yesterday, I went to make up a a short jumper battery cable so I could hook up my Trojan 6 VDC batteries. I spent two hours looking for my box of battery terminal ends and heat shrink. I finally used some new ones I had ordered, but not opened yet. So today I spent all afternoon cleaning up my work area and putting all of the tools back where they belong.

Oh well, tomorrow is another day... :sunflower

rlrenz

Explorer
I have the same problem. I KNOW I have the new parts, but finding them can take as long as re-ordering them. When I get deeper back into things agter spring happens, I have a 2' x 3' x 7' cabinet that will be dedicated JUST to ambulance parts.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I have no room in my storage buildings, so now my living and dining room are full of boxes of parts and supplies. Dining room table...I know I have one...somewhere! :)

Our weather has really been wacky the last two or three weeks. If it was sunny, it was cold (for here) and temps were hitting the 20's at night, and if it was warmer it was raining. I need about 7 -10 days of really nice weather for my next step, which is to pull the temporary covering off of the front, do all of the work I need to do in that area, and design and install a semi-temporary new covering which can be opened easily and still be water tight.

HPIM1140.JPG

Since I couldn't do any work, I decided to clean up and reorganize my tool boxes so I could quit hunting for something when I needed to. I usually carry a couple in the back of my F250, in addition to my Craftsman roll around and several smaller boxes in my utility room. This project all started because one of my plastic Rubbermaid boxes in my truck was getting pretty faded out (UV damage) and I was afraid it would fail soon when I lifted it out of the bed. I will say this, I bought two of these boxes 15 years ago and they have been great. They also have two stacked trays with lots of compartments for organizing smaller items. However, this box has been discontinued by Rubbermaid. :(

$_35.JPG
$_35.JPG

I also wanted something a little bit larger, so I started shopping. I checked all of the usual places like Lowes (Kobalt), Home Depot (Husky), Sears (Craftsman), Tractor Supply (various), etc. Man, what a disappointment, everything I found (metal and plastic) was junk! So, I jumped on Amazon just to see was was out there. I found some really nice Tuff-Box boxes made by Contico, but they were about $60.00 each.

I finally settled on these Stanley Bostitch 23-in Lockable Black Structural Foam Tool Boxes for $19.98 each at Lowes. I bought four of them; one each for Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, and Carpentry. I don't know who actually makes the box, but I found it with a dozen different brand names on it, with prices up to $50.00 - $60.00. It's very strong (you can stand on it), with a waterproof silicone seal, and latches that take a lot of pressure to close (ensuring a good seal). The only drawback is, it only has one short tray that runs about 2/3's the length of the box. They claim that is so you can stand up spray cans, etc. at one end. Personally, I would rather have dual full length trays with lots of dividers for organizing small items like the Rubbermaid box had. I've got a couple of ideas about how to modify that, but we'll see how that goes later.

076174958447_ca.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
Since I reorganized and replaced all my tool boxes I carry in the back of my F250, I decided to find something better to organize my recovery and towing gear, such as straps, ropes, chains, snatch block, hooks and shackles, etc. I have a Warn 9,500 lb. winch for it, but no bumper to mount it with yet.

While reading on this forum to see what other people were using, I found these heavy duty equipment bags. When you start throwing heavy shackles, chain and hooks into a bag, it needs to be pretty tough so I was a little skeptical at first. But, the comments and reviews were very good, so I ordered a couple of them for $43.00 each.

These are some pictures I found on another post, but are exactly like mine.

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

Shipping (free) only took three days, and they arrived today. Wow, these thing are built right! Heavy Nylon on the outside and waterproof heavy vinyl on the inside, all stitching is bar-tacked and reinforced, all inside seams are taped and stitched. Plus they have labels that attach with Velcro so you can tell what's in the bag.

They also have quite a few other bags I'm now looking at, possibly for a small to medium 'bug-out' or 'get-home' bag.

Here is their website: http://www.blueridgeoverlandgear.com/default.asp

And here are the bags I bought: http://www.blueridgeoverlandgear.com/Large-Recovery-bag-p/21rb-l.htm

Last edited:

rlrenz

Explorer
One of the problems with an ambulance is all the built-in storage has square corners, but there aren't a lot of plastic storage containers that don't have rounded corners or are tapered, so some space is lost. I also haven't figured out a combination of storage bins that meet the compartment height and width.

I've been using MIL-surplus ammo boxes for some storage - especially for things that NEED to stay dry, or that mice might enjoy. If things need to stay dry, I usually throw in a 1# bag of silica jell. For chains and stuff, I've had good luck using bank money bags - the kind they use for coins. I ask at my bank every once in a while, and about half the time, they have a spare bag (usually pennies) they will part with.

One advantage of bags is that they will sag to meet the space available, but this also means that you can have to empty out the entire compartment to find anything. I'm fussy about labeling and tagging a container with what's in them, so it isn't all a total mystery.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Bob, I know what you mean about the wasted space in most standard plastic storage bins or tubs. I found these at our local Office Depot, but they are not cheap! I've collected a few of the common sizes they carry, and use them in the house for file storage, electronics parts and tools, and firearms parts and tools. They're very strong, clear, with positive locking handles, and they stack, but they're not air or water tight. The lid design will shed water from a rain shower or sprinkler system activation, etc, but not rising or flood water.

They come in all different sizes and shapes, and you can see the specs here: http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/html/boxdetails.php

Here is one on Amazon that you can zoom in on to get a better look. Unfortunately, they don't qualify as Prime items: :( http://www.amazon.com/REALLY-USEFUL...5&sr=1-5-catcorr&keywords=Really+Useful+Boxes

And, it looks like Office Depot and Office Max combined and they are having a sale: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/787653/Really-Useful-Boxes-Plastic-Storage-Box/

rlrenz

Explorer
One of our problems up here is mice in the winter. The blasted rodents will get into darn near anything - some decided to nest in the headlining of my wife's car, and the little rats did $1200 damage to the car. If I keep bird seed in the garage for the bird feeder, it lives in an old ammo can (so far, so good...). They apparently can't stand the smell of moth balls and dryer sheets, so anything that has been "protected" for the winter smells kinda strange in the spring. My neighbor sells and stores boats, and he throws a handfull into any boat before he shrinkwraps it. I have it in the back of my wife's car, and my car. The ambulance got about half a box. As a result, I'm always looking for any storage container that is mouse-proof, and we've had them chew through a plastic Rubbermaid. Any food leftover from a road trip or camping gets brought inside immediately.

My garage gets half a dozen bait stations every fall - so far, so good...

They'll also go for anything that they can use to build a nest, so any cloth stored in the garage (dog drying towels, etc) has to be stored on a shelf with mouse bait nearby.

Long story short - I need "secure storage" for the ambulance. I find various military cases at surplus stores, such as Coleman's or Sportsman's guide. I have several medical cases that are close to the size of my ambulance shelving, and are complete with about 8 latches on each. As long as I have them labeled, they work fine, and they are definitely mouse-proof. I also find them at flea markets and military collector's shows.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Wow, I see what you mean, and it does look like you're pretty much limited to using metal containers then. We have a similar problem with squirrels here. I have a whole section of chain link fence, with the aluminum wire ties that attach the fence wire to the pipe rail, chewed off at the top by squirrels.

When I first got my ambulance, I left the engine cover off of the dog house inside the cab for several weeks. When I went in the back, I found a nest in one of the top storage compartments. The walk-thru door had previously been removed also. It could have been mice or squirrels either one, but I got rid of it, put the cover back on, and plugged all openings into the rear, and no more problems.

I looked at those medical cases at Sportsman's Guide, and almost ordered some. Didn't know what I'd use them for exactly, but they just looked like they would be handy around a campsite. I decided to wait and may still order some when I get closer to completion, if they're still available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94