Point Five Ambo Build

Coachgeo

Explorer
... but I'm not sure about what qualifies as 'farkles'. Can you elaborate on that category?
Farkle comes from Adventure Motorcycle crowd. Pretty much anything is a Farkle but usually if I understand it right.... it fits in the catagory of a "cool modification"...... that actually serves a logical purpose.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Farkle comes from Adventure Motorcycle crowd. Pretty much anything is a Farkle but usually if I understand it right.... it fits in the catagory of a "cool modification"...... that actually serves a logical purpose.

Well, considering I have actually met Bevan in person in a parking lot on the side of the interstate, and we have turned some wrenches together, I can understand where that is probably coming from.

Spoiler alert: You will see some parts from his new Freightliner M2 ambulance installed in mine later on.

Shadman

Pat,

I feel like I know you having read 3 years of your life in 40 pages of tips and tricks.

I am stuck, mentally. I have an ambo box, on wherls, ready to outfit. I was told by the previous owner, repeatedly, that the box weighed 1400 pounds. I thought with a trailer under it, 2,000. I'm guessing it is actually more like 4,500 or 5,000 based on how it tows behind my 4 cylinder toyota T100. I tows just fine, but 50 is comfortable, 40 up hills in 3rd gear. So, without being able to use it for long haul motorcycle trips as intended, I am kinda stuck not knowing to keep, sell, outfit, etc...

I started my ambo build in January 2018. I've put about 50 hours in it and am having a blast. I have it on a 7500 pound trailer axle with electric brakes and old 5 bolt rims. The trailer is a tee, with 3 by 5" longways and 3 by 3 crossmembers that locate the leaf springs about where the inboard dually wheels were. I can run low or high by moving the axle over or under, with dual spring perches on the top and bottom of the axle. I have a 36" long rail extension on the front. 4 wheeler, motorcycle, or generator / propane? Wish I'd read your thread earlier and made it 60 inches....

I tracked down all the ambo wiring and consolidated to 10 relays, 1 master with 9 20 amps for the 6 ambo still used and some extras. Aligned fuses and wiring order with relays 1 to 10. Have a rv shore power 120v relay, battery charger to run all 12v when plugged in, a relay to use taillights on tow rig to charge 12v batts, and a small 600 watt inverter for 3 interior outlets when on batt power.

A/c and heat pump are dometic 120v and work well now.

Everything works as designed with 10 led lit switches inside. Finally. That took a solid 20 hours to get a mental grasp of and sort it out. I wasn't so lucky as you, the ambo chassis has been chopped off months. before I first saw it.

I gutted the inside. Cleaned all cabinets. Now ready to outfit it. And that is where my mental capabilities end...I'm stuck. I thought it would make a great mobile construction office / basic camper. Paint? Camo? Leave as is?

Inspiration is needed!

Shadman

Sorry to ramble on so long. I love this project, the tearing apart, fixing, figuring, repairing, redoing... I am going to drag it up to the flagstaff expo and try to get inspired.

Peter in Phoenix.

patoz

Expedition Leader
First of all, I would love to see some pictures of what what you have now, and that would give me and anyone reading this a much better idea of what the platform looks like. If you don't have a build thread of your own, fee free to post them here.

I believe the previous owner's statement of 1,400 lbs. is way off. My first one v 1.0, weighs right at 5,200 lbs. with dual wheels, a 10,000 lb, Rockwell Trailer Axle, and it still has all the cabinets in it. I made v 2.0 6" longer in the front, so the cargo area is now 36" instead of the 30" on v 1.0. It's to allow more room between the generator box and the front wall of the body for hinges, wiring, vents, etc. Keep in mind the tongue weight is not supposed to be more that 10% of the overall weight of the trailer, so you can only put so much on the front of it.

The electrical systems are fun on these things, especially if you have not operated them in the past and don't have a working knowledge of what things are supposed to do, and how they do it. I have been around them for 35 years and drove them for 10 years while working part time for EMS. However, I have had to change my plan of attack a dozen times, because I'm keeping most of my existing system and and trying to integrate my additions and changes into it. But, mine is going to be a multipurpose trailer and may be used in emergency situations, as well as for camping, etc.

Last edited:

Shadman

Thanks for the quick reply. I have only one resized picture, trailer in low axle mode from yesterday. Its a 1997 Frazer Made box from Eagle Pass, Texas, was originally on a 97 F450 single cab pickup.

I have the electrical finished with the exception of installing a generator. My last bus conversion project (a 1960 pd4104 greyhound) taught me a lot!

I'll take a bunch of pics and put them on my build thread that I just started.

Peter in Phoenix

Attachments

• 20180404_115805_resized.jpg
    20180404_115805_resized.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 44

patoz

Expedition Leader
Peter,

That horizontal compartment down low on the left front side, will come in handy for sure!

I don't know how much weight you're going to end up with in and on it, but I would seriously think about upgrading that axle. You are going from a F450 12,000 lb. rated axle with 10 lug 19.5" dual wheels, down to a 7,500 lb. rated axle with 5 lug ??" single wheels. Even if they will carry the weight, they are not going to give you the side to side stability needed by a top heavy trailer, I don't believe.

FDM2012

Adventurer
Hey Pat,

I've been MIA from the portal for a while, and just now saw this. REALLY COOL!

That is going to be one sweet rig. Keep going!

If I ever find my ideal Flood Relief boat, we can do some good deeds this hurricane season, if needed.

Other than that, we should plan a camping trip this fall.

E

Whoa Bob, that's not necessarily true!

I'm a 35 year career Fire Chief/EMT remember, and we are always the last ones out of a disaster situation even after Law Enforcement is gone. Besides using this for camping fun, I'm building it for remaining in a disaster area and surviving or supporting operations as needed.

When I refer to 'Bugging Out' it may be for a hurricane if it's bad enough, but I'll be back as soon as it's physically possible. But, generally what I'm referring to is a civil unrest situation, where you have 'Zombies' (the people who failed to prepare for an emergency and now have nothing) come to try and take what you have. Or, there is that government thing which we won't get into on here. I'm just trying to cover as many bases as possible with what little I have to work with. If I had the money I'd be living in an underground bunker, so there's that!

cjken

Explorer
Awesome!!
Cool to see another trailer.
Pat, you started a trend!

No way is that 2700 lbs

Here is mine in process
I’m planning on stripping the interior to reduce weight as much as possible.
17f47752e3189ac24abe2072973f4c32.jpg

d24efc0712a0e197e4c43afecb1115c1.jpg

d8ddbba4dac8f79dd6f3ab9749b8a833.jpg

If anyone needs a 60k mile 7.3 IDI
I got one. Hate to see it go to waste!

patoz

Expedition Leader
Hey Pat,

I've been MIA from the portal for a while, and just now saw this. REALLY COOL!

That is going to be one sweet rig. Keep going!

If I ever find my ideal Flood Relief boat, we can do some good deeds this hurricane season, if needed.

Other than that, we should plan a camping trip this fall.

E

Hi Eric,

Sounds like a plan, but we may have to camp in my front yard because I doubt it will be ready by then. I'm trying to get the exterior finished right now, before it gets too hot to work outside. Of course, rain three times a week doesn't help either. ?

Last edited:

Shadman

Pat,

I completely agree on the axle and will take your advice. But, I've towed it maybe 300 miles and it work fine for my super slow and conservative driving so for now It can roll around the house as is. I've spent $950 of my $2,500 budget (this in my el cheapo build after all) so I have to shop used and wisely, lol.

When complete I'm going up upgrade the axle, wheels, and tires based on a actual scale weight. I'm also going to seriously trim the diamond plate wheel well to get a slightly wider stance and add some black plastic fender flares for "the look".

I'll snap a few pics now and post. On my build thread. I've sidetracked your thread enough already.

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/shadmans-economy-ambucamp.191837/

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Budget ha, what's that? Five years ago I set mine at $5,000.00 and I'm now already over $10,000.00, and that's not counting the mountain of parts sitting in the middle of my living room. I have a good bit tied up in .5 Ambo v 1.0, so I hope to recoup some of that if and when I sell it. But, I will only sell it to someone who will finish it out and use it for camping, a mobile office, or something similar. Other than needing a paint job, it's in too good of a condition to sell it to some contractor, just so he can throw his tools in it and haul them around, trashing it in the process.

I have a lot more tied up in v 2.0, with no end in sight, but I'm not cutting corners anywhere. I'm using a lot of used parts, especially with the Whelen LED lighting, but anything I install is in like new condition, or it doesn't go on there.

One of the guys I know on here has a saying in his signature line that goes something like this: 'A project's worth is not determined by how much you put into it, but rather by what it puts into you.' Since building this is as much of a hobby as camping is, money is a relative thing!

BTW Peter, you're not sidetracking at all. We have similar projects going on, so I've enjoyed having you here. Come back and visit anytime!

Shadman

I just updated my thread with 30 pics, here's a couple. I appreciate your willingness to help and think its cool we have a common passion. My wife says I am crazy. I say I'm thinking inside and outside the "box" on this one!

I am going to stick to budget. I swear.

Attachments

• 20180408_140739_resized.jpg
    20180408_140739_resized.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 20180408_140811_resized.jpg
    20180408_140811_resized.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 20180408_140907_resized.jpg
    20180408_140907_resized.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20180408_141042_resized.jpg