Point Five Ambo Build

patoz

Expedition Leader
DzlToy,

I agree, all vehicles and especially emergency vehicles need a lot more work before they can actually be declared 'safe', but as long that business is controlled by the almighty dollar, safety will have to take a back seat. That profit margin must come first!

patoz

Expedition Leader
REV Ambulance Crash Test Proves Resiliency

Published on Jun 21, 2017

Committed to building “Vehicles for life,” the REV Ambulance Group recently performed a dynamic rollover crash simulation at the 49,000-sq.-ft. CAPE testing facility in Westfield, Ind., to test the structural integrity of REV’s standard ambulance module construction. A new modular body on a Type 3 Ford E-350 chassis was put to the (sled) test at the Center for Advanced Product Evaluation. The ambulance was engineered and built using the exact same methods as units built for REV customers.
See the rest: http://revgroup.com/news-single/ambulance-crash-test-results

The REV Group owns 8 Ambulance manufactures, which are: AEV, Road Rescue, Frontline, Horton, McCoy Miller, Leader, Marque, and Wheeled Coach. The ambulance used in the test is a Wheeled Coach.

Also, this will give you a good idea of how they are built.

java

Expedition Leader
That roll over test is impressive, that would have REALLY hurt though. I think part of the issue is the boxes are regulated to a certain standard, where as the cabs are not. Looking at the accident above or the roll over test, the boxes are obviously very very sturdy. The cabs are not (comparatively anyway) they still squish easily, and have a lot of weight behind them. (do mfg's do crash tests as bare cab chassis or with a simulated load on them?)

patoz

Expedition Leader
(do mfg's do crash tests as bare cab chassis or with a simulated load on them?)

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing the ambulance manufacturers concentrate on the patient module part of one, since that is the part they build, and leave the cab to the auto manufacturer who built it.

Some type of roll cage inside the cab would probably help, but the room required for such a system would eat into the already cramped space that's available now.

patoz

Expedition Leader

Independence-Day-USA-Images.jpg

I hope everyone has a fun but safe day, and let's
remember the real reason why we celebrate on this day!

patoz

Expedition Leader
Wow, new solar cell operates at 44.5 percent efficiency!

Scientists design solar cell that captures nearly all energy of solar spectrum

Scientists have designed and constructed a prototype for a new solar cell that integrates multiple cells stacked into a single device capable of capturing nearly all of the energy in the solar spectrum. The new design converts direct sunlight to electricity with 44.5 percent efficiency, giving it the potential to become the most efficient solar cell in the world.

The approach is different from the solar panels one might commonly see on rooftops or in fields. The new device uses concentrator photovoltaic (CPV) panels that employ lenses to concentrate sunlight onto tiny, micro-scale solar cells. Because of their small size—less than one millimeter square—solar cells utilizing more sophisticated materials can be developed cost effectively.
See the rest: https://techxplore.com/news/2017-07-scientists-solar-cell-captures-energy.html

Currently, the best solar panels only operate at 20% efficiency and that's on a good day, so this is a major break through if they can be manufactured at a reasonable price.

patoz

Expedition Leader
DzlToy, your link is referring to the same panels my link is. I guess they are getting closer to working out the bugs, so they are publicizing it more.

DzlToy

Explorer
Agreed, kind of curious what progress has been made or what changes have been made over the last 4 years.

Do you have any pricing info?

Cheers

patoz

Expedition Leader
No, I got the impression they were not even on the market yet, and still in the development stages.

Scientists have designed and constructed a prototype for a new solar cell...

This particular solar cell is very expensive, however researchers believe it was important to show the upper limit of what is possible in terms of efficiency. Despite the current costs of the materials involved, the technique used to create the cells shows much promise. Eventually a similar product may be brought to market, enabled by cost reductions from very high solar concentration levels and technology to recycle the expensive growth substrates.

I'm sure all the big boys like the military, NASA, government, the insanely rich, etc. will get a shot at them first. But now, if you have Elon Musk on your phone's speed dial...

cjken

Explorer
Any progress on trailer?
I'm getting pretty close to cut the front off of mine.
Im may have to ask you for advice along the way!!

patoz

Expedition Leader
I came across this article and thought others may find it interesting also.

Making Reliable Solder-Free Connections

Let me begin by debunking a common myth. It's not necessary to solder a solderless crimp terminal. For more than 70 years, solderless terminals have been used on everything— from automobiles and appliances to warships and commercial and military aircraft (Boeing hasn't soldered a crimp in over 40 years). Developed in the days leading up to WWII by the aircraft manufacturing industry, they are a tried-and-true system for making low-resistance, solder-free electrical connections.
See the rest: http://www.proboat.com/2017/09/making-reliable-solder-free-connections/

patoz

Expedition Leader
Happy Thanksgiving!

3f3c3370364d35e38c6ab45bbd8838bd.jpg

I hope everyone had a great day and didn't eat too much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles