Point Five Ambo Build

patoz

Expedition Leader
Awesome Pat!!
Glad to finally see pictures of it.
Looks great!!

Thanks Ken!

Originally, I had wanted to wait until I had the exterior completed and find some nice scenic background to shoot pictures for the first reveal. But, I was getting too far behind on writing the thread, and I wanted to get things documented before I started forgetting facts.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Great idea!

Thanks Jim,

Like pulling any other trailer, there are advantages and disadvantages. Besides the obvious advantage of still having transportation once camp is set up, one of the biggest justifications for me is, I can trade in my F250 truck for a newer model if I want or need to, and still keep the camper. Considering how well ambulance bodies are built, and the quality of the items I'm adding to it, there is no reason this camper won't last me for the rest of my life.

rlrenz

Explorer
Its common for ambulance builders to provide a 15 year warranty on the ambulance bodies, which is why its common to see an existing ambulance body mounted on a new truck. The re-mounted unit usually has a refurbished interior, new lighting, paint, and new graphics, and is good for more years of service.

You kind of have a "Type 1 Trailer"

patoz

Expedition Leader
thats looks like the trick. had me thinking it would also make a awesome mobile ham shack.

Yep it would be, even if you took off the wheels and mounted it on blocks for a permanent installation.

10.jpg

The action wall/attendant's station will get remodeled and become my comm center, complete with a computer, printer, GPS, professional weather station, perimeter camera monitor, and various radios to communicate and monitor what is happening around me, especially in a disaster situation. That back wall will be replaced with an electronics rack, so that things are modular.

The seat has already been removed and will be replaced with a good quality, high backed, dispatcher's seat that swivels and is on wheels. Actually, I'll have two of them in there, which will also double as additional seating to the couch. Since it's a trailer, no one will ever ride back there when it's moving, so all I'll have to do is secure the chairs when traveling.

Last edited:

rlrenz

Explorer
I have similar HAM radio plans -

My Medic-Master / Freightliner will also serve as a "Communications Facility" for the USCG Auxiliary, and will be capable of supporting field communications as ordered. Equipment will be set up when required, with custom mounting brackets and power taps. Since it has a 270 amp alternator, power is not a concern. The roof has 5 NMO antenna mounts and one scanner antenna mount, with all the leads routed to the existing radio cabinet. They will be terminated at a bulkhead panel so radios can be easily connected. The existing siren has been blocked to just the radio position, with PA over ride. Something like a Kenwood TM-281A (for HAM frequencies) and a TAIT 2020 (for USCG communications) will probably be installed in the action area panel, and possible something similar with a Havis mount in the cab's console.

The vehicle will a 4 kW Onan generator, and will be capable of complete operation from a separate generator.

rlrenz

Explorer
There was a thread on Steel Soldiers (www.steelsoldiers.com) about someone who used a surplus Military communications shelter as a HAM shack. He did a nice jib, but it struck me as being too tight for comfort. A friend of mine built a ham shack into a small travel trailer, and that has worked well for him.

I definitely agree that a project like Pat's would make a really nice HAM facility - durable, easily moved, and able to withstand severe weather.

patoz

Expedition Leader
In case you're wondering, Bob and I have discussed this quite a bit and that's why our plans sound so similar.

In my case I'll be using a Honda EU3000i on-board generator or shore power. Plus, I'll also have 1,300 Watts of Solar on the roof to charge a 500 Ah battery bank.

Bob, you and k9lestat just gave me a good idea for when it comes time to sell the 1993 version if I do, and that is advertise it on some Ham Radio groups or websites.

Last edited:

rlrenz

Explorer
Yup - we have similar plans, but for different reasons. Pat needs something that he can use to get OUT of town when hurricanes show up, and I need something that I can bring TO a disaster to support communications.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Yup - we have similar plans, but for different reasons. Pat needs something that he can use to get OUT of town when hurricanes show up, and I need something that I can bring TO a disaster to support communications.

Whoa Bob, that's not necessarily true!

I'm a 35 year career Fire Chief/EMT remember, and we are always the last ones out of a disaster situation even after Law Enforcement is gone. Besides using this for camping fun, I'm building it for remaining in a disaster area and surviving or supporting operations as needed.

When I refer to 'Bugging Out' it may be for a hurricane if it's bad enough, but I'll be back as soon as it's physically possible. But, generally what I'm referring to is a civil unrest situation, where you have 'Zombies' (the people who failed to prepare for an emergency and now have nothing) come to try and take what you have. Or, there is that government thing which we won't get into on here. I'm just trying to cover as many bases as possible with what little I have to work with. If I had the money I'd be living in an underground bunker, so there's that!

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
That is a big “reveal”. Great work and a great platform to build off.

Looking forward to seeing it full of all the fruit/farkles/goodies you have collected over the past couple of years.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Well Bob, I figure it will be much more functional than this, although it is a very nicely built bush-craft shelter.

CIMG3987_thumb.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

Besides, I'm getting too old and out of shape to sleep on the ground anymore.

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
That is a big “reveal”. Great work and a great platform to build off.

Looking forward to seeing it full of all the fruit/farkles/goodies you have collected over the past couple of years.

Bevan, I have a mountain of stuff sitting in my living room waiting to be installed, and I'm sure some qualify as 'fruit' or 'goodies', but I'm not sure about what qualifies as 'farkles'. Can you elaborate on that category?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz