Day One...not that this is going to go fast, or anything

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
That's a great question, actually. You're right in that it's an ARB bumper, and the previous owner had it put on. He's had everything from Toyota to Rovers, but I'll be swapping it out and selling it in preference for an Aluminess product. I wonder if there's a serial number on it that would help track application? Ah well, more research.

Not to mention I just tried the truck on a steep dirt slope, in first gear,4x4 at a crawl. Received a lovely red transmission oil warning light a couple of times. It didn't like either the angle, the speed, or both. Once I put a bit of speed on it it went up no problem, but it sure would be nice to be able to slowly make it up something....more things to sort out. Yay.:smiley_drive:

Czechsix

Flatbed goes away, and something from EC, Host, Phoenix, etc gets permanently attached, and we drive off into the sunset.

Czechsix

Thanks folks!

As to the flatbed, this was always going to be a dedicated RV build. Once the house is on, that's it. Flatbed is unnecessary extra weight and height....so it gets ditched. Shame, because it's a really nice flatbed. That headache rack folds backwards. Loosen two bolts and it swings on a couple of pivots. At one time it looks like it had a fifth wheel or something set up - you can see where the pads went, and there are a few holes in the bed to bolt whatever on.

Time to start doing mods!

Most important one so far:most important mod so far.JPG

Last edited:

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
I looked again at the photo and noticed that it's singles in the rear. Missed that the first time I looked.
Are you gonna upgrade from the 19.5 and go bigger or ? The wheels/tires look good as is.
Nice platform to work with. You did good.
Will be watching your progress.

Czechsix

Yep, it's fully singled out.

I don't think I'm going to go any larger than what's on it now. It seems to be a decent balance between top speed, clearance, stability, etc. Going larger diameter would make this even more of a slug, but if it had a two speed transfer, I might actually consider it. I think one of the primary issues is just finding decent off roadable rubber with a decent load rating and speed rating in the larger truck sizes. On the interstate, the truck cruises along at 75 easily...but most of the time I had the cruise control set at 65 or so. I can see that one of the issues is being able to do a decently slow, controllable crawl off road, but then again I never planned on using this truck for anything serious - not with a motorhome on the back.

Last edited:

Czechsix

So, to answer some questions that popped up in the original sales thread, regarding how much I paid...

Original cost of this truck in 2012 was $57,112. Not many options - heated mirrors, factory air, floor mats, and the "pre-delivery inspection" (which is actually called the "good to go" package).
Advertised price on eBay was $44,995, but kitted out with ATW parabolics, ATW 19.5" wheels, and 19.5" Toyo tires in 95% condition, and a custom flatbed...oh, and some kind of ARB front bumper that doesn't fit too well.

I took it for $42k after dickering a bit, the owner wouldn't go any lower...but I still considered that a fair price. Especially considering condition, and mods. The only thing that was a bit worrying was the maintenance history, and the shenanigans of the second owner - who, according to the used car dealership that was more or less the mediator, only had the truck a month before he decided to sell it. (wha.....?????)

But.....5 year, 175k manufacturer warranty, I'm thinking, will take care of major issues. If those issues are really that major - like Duonic tranmissions that simply don't work, well, I'm thinking a 4bt and Allison/Spicer would work fine. The cabover design, length, turning radius (holy crap, this thing turns like a Honda Civic!) are just about the perfect compromise for what I want to do with it. I've done the Unimog thing in the past...almost did it again, but the killer is maintenance and servicing, plus road manners.

I drove this truck a bit over 400 miles back, after taking it in for a service workup at a Tucson Caterpillar/Fuso place (Empire Truck and Trailer...service manager is Dan, and I can highly recommend these guys). The reason I took it in: After buying the truck, doing a fast check on fluids, codes, we (wife, dogs, and I) decided to head back home to SoCal. About a 400 mile trip. Got on the freeweay, and about 10 miles into it, the truck threw a EngSys/DPF warning, so I decided to stay in Tucson, and get the truck serviced before heading out. Wife drove home with the geriatric dogs, and I got a motel room. Went to Empire right after 7 am on Monday, discussed what I wanted (full fluid and filter change - everything, also check all codes, do all open recalls/ECM flashes, brakes, pads, DPF cleanout, and the rest of the 36k service, etc). Got a rental car, and took a few days off while the truck was being serviced. Total out of pocket was a bit over $1k, with the rest covered by Mitsubishi.

Took four days, and I got on the road late Thursday, drove 400 or so miles without any issues, other than filling the tank.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I think you did well at $42k. The parabolics and SRW add value (at least for you) but probably really reduced the number of potential buyers. I'm glad to know that Mitsubishi doesn't seem to be concerned about the SRW conversion with respect to warranty issues.

EAB

Observer
Congrats on the purchase, the truck looks great. I have been lurking around this site for almost two years now trying to learn as much as possible. I really like the overall size and "simplicity" of the Fuso. My wife and I are landing on building a camper as well, we have gone down the traditional pickup path but really like the view, overall length, maneuverability and forward visibility of the COE platform. I mentioned in another thread we are also considering a U500, BAE route but would prefer to avoid the size, weight and servicing issues, it would be cool but.....

Anyhow, I am subscribed and will be very interested in your assessment of the 4x4 performance. Based on your comments you arent looking for a rock crawling machine and neither are we. I am not sure If I have the experience to do a engine, transmission and transfer case replacement so it will be great to see where you land with the stock components.

I I may have missed it but do you know if they replaced the transmission in yours? In my discussions with one of the regional Fuso sales managers he indicated they went to a different clutch pack material on the newer ones so you may want to do a little research. The fellow I spoke with really understood the history and revisions made since the release of the platform.

Anyhow, congratulations and I am looking forward towards your build.

eric

westyss

Explorer
I think you did well at $42k. The parabolics and SRW add value (at least for you) but probably really reduced the number of potential buyers. I'm glad to know that Mitsubishi doesn't seem to be concerned about the SRW conversion with respect to warranty issues.

Congrats on the new rig!

After I had my singles on I had a meeting with the NA Fuso rep about some warranty work and he liked my singles set up and did not seem to flinch about it, he even called me later to find out the particulars about the conversion for someone else!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94