Trails in Germany?

Hunter67

Observer
I took (and wrote down) the GPS-Coordinates from our first trip through the West Alps in 2008. The bad side: My article is in german! :mad:

http://traveldiary.de/?p=2695

Markus

P.S.: On the other hand ... I know it's hard to understand for most americans ... but for many europeans "travelling abroad" automatically means to familiarize at least with a basic knowledge of the local language(s) ;)

BCobe

Adventurer
Thanks for the link! Idk how I didnt stumble on to it and when it comes to langauges my wife knows some French, I took a German class (which was ok) and everything else we have those little translation and phrase quides. After living in Korea for a year I deffenitly realize the need to be familer with the local language.

BlueGerbil

C´est le gerbil plus bleu
If you´re located in Kaiserslautern you could just head over the french border to Saverne, a nice, sandy wheeling area. Their homepage: http://www.alsace-off-road.fr/topic/index.html

Regarding the alps: I´d head to the area between Lac Leman and Nice - actually we´re going there every year since 1999 and it doesn´t get boring at all. Mostly we choose a campsite near the town of Briancon and take trips from there. Usually we do some wheeling, some geocaching, some occasional hiking etc. Find a lot of pictures of this trips at www.bit.ly/alpentouren

There is a very good book about this topic, but it´s in german - see www.bit.ly/graf25

A very good website is www.alpenrouten.de, in german as well. They have quite up to date information about closed routes etc.

The best time for the french/italian alps is september. French holidays are over, it´s not so crowded and the local authorities are a bit relaxter. Some of the trails can be driven legally, some have special regulations (closed on weekends for example), others are closed. And then there are trails which are closed, but nobody cares. We hadn´t had any problems with the cops/military personal etc. in all the years, but your mileage may vary.

If you need any information, please feel free to ask.

BCobe

Adventurer
I took (and wrote down) the GPS-Coordinates from our first trip through the West Alps in 2008. The bad side: My article is in german! :mad:

http://traveldiary.de/?p=2695

Markus

P.S.: On the other hand ... I know it's hard to understand for most americans ... but for many europeans "travelling abroad" automatically means to familiarize at least with a basic knowledge of the local language(s) ;)

Really good information in your link! I used to have a Jeep WJ and I must say it is crazy to see one tackling those trails.

If you´re located in Kaiserslautern you could just head over the french border to Saverne, a nice, sandy wheeling area. Their homepage: http://www.alsace-off-road.fr/topic/index.html

Regarding the alps: I´d head to the area between Lac Leman and Nice - actually we´re going there every year since 1999 and it doesn´t get boring at all. Mostly we choose a campsite near the town of Briancon and take trips from there. Usually we do some wheeling, some geocaching, some occasional hiking etc. Find a lot of pictures of this trips at www.bit.ly/alpentouren

There is a very good book about this topic, but it´s in german - see www.bit.ly/graf25

A very good website is www.alpenrouten.de, in german as well. They have quite up to date information about closed routes etc.

The best time for the french/italian alps is september. French holidays are over, it´s not so crowded and the local authorities are a bit relaxter. Some of the trails can be driven legally, some have special regulations (closed on weekends for example), others are closed. And then there are trails which are closed, but nobody cares. We hadn´t had any problems with the cops/military personal etc. in all the years, but your mileage may vary.

If you need any information, please feel free to ask.

I have been trying to pick the brains of other American Jeepers in the area and see were they all go but so far it has only been the Böser Wolf and Alasce. I was able to find the Alpenrouten site when looking for information earlier. Big problem I am having is were exactly to start from there I can see if it would be a trip I could actually do. The barrier of language I feel would also present a problem, like I stated earlier I took a German class but it wasn't a huge help when it came to actually learning the language and while my wife knows a little French she is still a little rusty. We have the phrase guides and tend to look over them before a trip but I still feel there will be a block.

Also I do not know what it is but I absolutely love your XJ, both of the Wranglers are really nice as well!

Hunter67

Observer
I have been trying to pick the brains of other American Jeepers in the area

Did you already contacted you local "Outdoor Recreation"-Team?
http://stuttgart.armymwr.com/europe/stuttgart/programs/hunting-fishing-sport-sho/

I just talked to the responsible here in Stuttgart. He personally doesn't organize offroad events, but he nows a lot of
people who own a 4x4 truck and even more of them are interested in offroading, travel, hunting and fishing.

See you in the next hunting class? :elkgrin:

Greets,
Markus

BCobe

Adventurer
Did you already contacted you local "Outdoor Recreation"-Team?
http://stuttgart.armymwr.com/europe/stuttgart/programs/hunting-fishing-sport-sho/

I just talked to the responsible here in Stuttgart. He personally doesn't organize offroad events, but he nows a lot of
people who own a 4x4 truck and even more of them are interested in offroading, travel, hunting and fishing.

See you in the next hunting class? :elkgrin:

Greets,
Markus

I have not! Great idea though! As far as the hunting class goes that would probably be a no go :(. Going to be having a lot of work related stuff pop up these next couple months that is going to consume the majority of my time :mad:

polaramike

Hi!

If you don't get permission to use the (military) training grounds of your unit, your only chance will be to go to an offroad park and have some fun there. There's not such a thing like public land you can use in Germany. There even are regulations that prohibit unauthorized use of forest roads (even most of those not marked or signposted). Germany simply is far too populated to have enough space for this kind of actioviy - sadly.

Most central european countries are equally restrictive. There are some nice tracks in the western alps and the pyrenees as well as in Croatia and some other places, but you'll have to travel a day or two (or even more) just to get there.

Of course, you're free to travel public roads and explore Germany - but that's not really overlanding. If you're interested in going to offroad parks to have some fun, you'll find a nice list here: http://offroad-map.de/

Although this wasn't that positive, I hope I was able to help a bit.

Mike (northern Germany)

BCobe

Adventurer
Yea a lot of people have been talking about the offroad parks. Been thinking about maybe trying to do a trip to the Alps some time in July. Once in a lifetime adventure for me and my wife so it definitely would be worth wild to try.

BCobe

Adventurer
I know some guys up at Spang. Definitely down for some exploration. Like I said planning on doing the Alps sometime in July.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Sorry....been real busy lately. I will get those West Alp routes up as soon as I can. July might be a bit early for me, but if I can work it! Perhaps we can travel together....for a ways anyhow! ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BCobe

Adventurer
No big! Still have some time to really plan it out! Been looking for more people to attend so that would be awesome!

Hunter67

Observer
We had been up there end of June this year and had some trouble with roadblocks because of snow still lying very high on higher roads. In addition the weather was rainy and the temperatures very, very cold at night. So even July might be a bit early. First or second week of September seems to be the best time in year for this region and this sort of trip - but better a trip in July than no trip at all! :)

Markus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles