Trails in Germany?

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
I agree with Hunter67....I was up there in mid August. While I didn't have any issues with roadblocks, the weather was very wet and nights cold..... Made for some .... Interesting.... Drives!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BCobe

Adventurer
We had been up there end of June this year and had some trouble with roadblocks because of snow still lying very high on higher roads. In addition the weather was rainy and the temperatures very, very cold at night. So even July might be a bit early. First or second week of September seems to be the best time in year for this region and this sort of trip - but better a trip in July than no trip at all! :)

Markus

I agree with Hunter67....I was up there in mid August. While I didn't have any issues with roadblocks, the weather was very wet and nights cold..... Made for some .... Interesting.... Drives!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmm... This is some really good info. Thanks guys! Everything is tentative as of now. I mainly picked July because I already had some time off in the books but September is still a ways away so I should be able to swing some off time. Gives me time to think out gear options and what not to.

faulco

Observer
Well, there are tours you sign up with. :-( I usually go it alone. For the most part, if you don't make a campfire, you can camp just about anywhere up there. Providing, of course, there is a spot....gets kind of steep. ;-). The roads are challenging in and of themselves....everything from pavement, gravels, and plain old dirt! lots and lots of hill climbing and steep decent.

If you want, I have some fairly interesting routes from my previous trips. They hit most of the highlights and several of the old, built by hand, forts. Some of them (routes, not forts!) cross the French/Italian boarder multiple times (nothing but a painted rock to mark them)
Sorry to dump in the thread, lococoyote, I am planning a trip through the alps to Italy with the good lady and my 2 girls with a capable trailer in tow. Is there any chance you could send the info to me too please. Would be great for helping me plan my route. Thanks in advance.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Happy to post for all to see!

The thing about the Western Alps.....there are so many places worth visiting...... depending on how much time you have, the first recommendation I would give is to travel to the northern part of Lake Garda (Italy). Here is one of my favourite routes (actually it is two routes that have the same start/end points). This is the Tremolo pass area and has just about all the kinds of things you expect to see in the Alps. I will provide a Google Earth route later (if I can figure out how to upload it....if not, I can always email it to whoever is interested).

You start at Val di Ledro and end up at Tremosine on Lake Garda. The long route covers about 45km (16 or so is piste) and the short is about 21km (19KM piste). Roads are good to moderately difficult. Any stock 4x4 with good clearance should be OK. You will need a full day to cover the both routes (makes a nice loop of about 66km).

This is part of the WW1 Austrian-Hungarian army's supply and materials route used for building the Trient fort....although this route mentioned here does not go all the way to the fort. Has multiple tunnels and some serious"pucker factor" roads (mountain on one side and a long fall on the other). You can, if so desired and you find a open spot, camp along here anywhere (just no campfires....) ; lots of fun and highly recommended.

BCobe

Adventurer
Post up some details and pictures of your trip! If you do not mind me asking, what time of the year do you plan on going? Sometime soon?

As far as campfires go, is a small protable grill frowned upon? We are looking to camp during our time there since we will be bringing our dog.

faulco

Observer
I will do, we're going late July, have to be in Lake Garda for a wedding on the 2nd of August. I have no idea about camp fires, not been before myself. I'm hoping to wild camp our way through too.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
I think I will start a new thread for this (if one for the alpine region is not already present). My early trips were mainly along the French/Italian border areas...many of the forts there are relatively easy to access and in fair shape. My later trips (like the ones around Lake Garda) were the result of my interest in the WW1 battles along the Italian front. What I have been doing is to find key locations of battle sites from war records/books/etc, driving to the area, and then seeing what routes and stuff I could find. Lots of fun with a historical twist.

anyway, I have far more routes mapped at (at this time) from the French/Italian Alps and only a few from the (to me anyway) more interesting places.I also have a lot of neat background information that some of you might find interesting.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles