My Disco II Build

MStudt

Adventurer
what color is the wheel paint?

The color is Graphite.

Looks great! Did you fan the rear door panel? How was that?

I used a regular cut-off wheel to get the basic shape, and then used a flap disc to get me to the final size. If I had to do this again I'd buy Rexcut Aluminatior cut-off wheels and a Fusion flap disc. Those are made to use on aluminum, and would have made the process a lot easier.

I made mine be destroying the factory panel. I pulled the fabric material off so I could trace an outline onto the aluminum sheet. Once the panel was cut to the right size I put the factory panel on the aluminum and used a transfer punch to mark the screw hole locations. I installed some rivet nuts from McMaster-Carr (# 90186A211) in the factory holes in the door. I secured the panel to the door by using some 6-32 stainless oval head screws, and some countersunk washers to go with them.

MStudt

Adventurer
Got a few more parts in today.

New CD player. I'm going to wire it up and see how it sounds before I put in a new amp and speakers.
20141114_190155_zpstg8yaoxy.jpg

Also picked up a switch, wire harness, and plug for the driving lights on the push bar.
20141114_185904_zpsnarfdh4k.jpg

20141114_190036_zpsw502dmfj.jpg

MStudt

Adventurer
Love your build so far! What gauge did you use on the panel?

I used .100 thickness for the aluminum. This thickness is very close to the thickness of the factory panel. Even after I installed the rivet-nuts in the door the panel still sat flush. There are no exposed edges around the entire panel.

I should have the rest of the supplies I need to finish the panel this week. I'll be adding two fold down HDPE shelves. One will be used as a shelf to cook from, and the other could be used as a cutting board if needed. Both sides are going to have gas lifters to lower it down, and to hold it in place when it's down. When they're up I'll have two knobs on each section holding them in place in an upright position.

MStudt

Adventurer
The new bumper showed up yesterday! There's no better way to spend a Friday night when the wife is out of town. This only took me about 2 hours in install. About 90% of that time was just to remove the old bumper. I need to pug new plugs on for the lights, and do some minor adjusting.

This is a First Four Offroad bumper from the UK.

MStudt

Adventurer
For the next project I got these from ARB. These are handles they use on the Outback Drawers. I'm going to make a storage area in the back with sleeping platform that flips forward. I'm also going to add a cooking area to the rear door, but I still need to decide on that setup.

connorham

Great looking winch bumper. Been looking at one of those myself.

How was the purchasing/shipping process with it being from UK?? Was shipping killer $$$?????

MStudt

Adventurer
Great looking winch bumper. Been looking at one of those myself.

How was the purchasing/shipping process with it being from UK?? Was shipping killer $$$?????

I got this one from First Four, and it was easy. You can buy the bumper online, and do international at the time of the order. No need to call them, or anything special. The only issue that I had was with my credit card company. I had to call them to set up the payment before I could process the order. I paid right around $900 total, and that included shipping. It took around 8-10 days to get to me in Missouri. It came very well packaged in layer after layer of bubble wrap and tape.

MStudt

Adventurer
Just received everything I need for our CB install. I've got some other things going on right now so this is going to have to wait. We decided to go with a Midland 75-822 handheld portable CB. This would give us the option of being to take it as a weather radio when we go backpacking. Along with the Midland we also picked up an K30 magnetic antenna, and a coupling bulkhead. The bulkhead is going to be mounted to the center console for easy removal when we need longer range.

20150802_152226_zpsbllatxuf.jpg

MStudt

Adventurer
I'm finally onto the next project. Haven't done anything to the Rover since the head job.

I'm started this project last week by taking some measures, and figuring out the best height. These drawer system is 9" in total height, and 33" deep. It's going to have one full length drawer, a half length drawer, and one storage compartment. The frame is made from 1x1x.065 DOM box tubing. I guess the weight for this to be around 25 pounds.

20151122_161441_zpsqzsyd2pq.jpg

20151122_161512_zps7jr1zpti.jpg

The top of the platform has a 3" lip to cover up the ARB drawer handles.
20151122_161932_zps6etmhvuh.jpg

I'm also working on a new back door piece.
20151122_161455_zpssh1cypid.jpg

MStudt

Adventurer
Finally got the new rear door panel just about finished. I need to add some trim around the shelves, put on the new latch, and figure out how to get them to hang level. I should have this finished up by the end of the weekend.

It's made from .100 4041 aluminum sheet. The shelves are also made from .100 4041 aluminum, and have 1/8" HDPE cutting board tops on them.

IMG_20151215_094715_zps4nflchty.jpg

MStudt

Adventurer
We had some good weather today, and I finally had some time to work on my own stuff. I spent the majority of the day today building the rear section of our platform. Tomorrow is supposed to be even nicer, and I plan on finishing the drawer fronts, and the top of the platform.

Made some progress today, and I'm very had with how this one turned out.

Added some turnbuckles in the front, and the back to make sure this doesn't shift.
20160305_131744_zpstzupozxw.jpg

Got the deck on, and the drawers installed.
20160305_164308_zpscwjff0bu.jpg

20160305_164328_zpsxbf82uve.jpg

Since I'm going to be laminating the top I decided to recess the t-nuts flush with the top of the deck.
20160305_164319_zpshfnizlvn.jpg

Two 28" long drawers side by side that are about 7" high.
20160305_164348_zpsjze2ox0u.jpg

MStudt

Adventurer
I was able to get the finishing touches done today. I added a matte black formica to the top, and drawer fronts. I also trimmed up the edging with some black plastic t-molding. For the drawer fronts I was able to use the ARB Safari drawer locks that I purchased awhile back.

I'll try to add some on the specs for this. For the frame I used some 1x1x.065 box tubing, and some 1/2" plywood for the deck. The drawer are made from pine 1x8's, and the drawer bottoms are oak plywood. The drawer slides are from McMaster-Carr, and have a weight limit of 90lbs per drawer. For the top I used some matte black formica counter top material, and finished off the edging with plastic t-molding.

20160306_162125_zpsdb7lg17k.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94