If a slide in camper had ...

rynosurf

Adventurer
I've owned a Callen, nice tough camper but heavy due to steel frame. They will build you whatever you want but expect to wait a couple of months to get it. I see a lot of used ones on Craigs List San Diego. Here is one I saw today. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/637127415.html

Here is my buddies on his truck similar to yours.
scorpionbay016.jpg

Last edited:

theMec

Adventurer
rynosurf,
your buddy has a nice looking setup. How heavy was your Callen?
If that San Diego ad was for a short bed, I might be driving out there this weekend. ;-)

18seeds,
thanks for the tip. I didn't know Lite Craft was in Denver. Lite Craft's small model is 1200+ lbs so too heavy for where I go BUT good idea since Outfitter and Hallmark are close also. I'll check w/ them since they offer campers under 1000 lbs.

18seeds

Explorer
mestaghman said:
18seeds,
thanks for the tip. I didn't know Lite Craft was in Denver. Lite Craft's small model is 1200+ lbs so too heavy for where I go BUT good idea since Outfitter and Hallmark are close also. I'll check w/ them since they offer campers under 1000 lbs.

their shell model is much lighter.

Have them make you one that does not have a cabover if you want to save weight.

see in pic

jaimecamper.jpg

theMec

Adventurer
18seeds, I was planning on visiting Outfitter today but I make a side trip to Lite Craft because of you. :) Lite Craft does indeed have a double door option. I'm not sure what to make of their stapled / glued wood construction though. The rep said it's better than an aluminum frame because it flexes where a welded alum frame would break welds. I didn't want to argue that 4WC/ATC uses AL and is well known for taking abuse off pavement. A shell model would weigh about 900# she said.

The owners were not at Outfitter so I couldn't get some questions anwered. I'll send them an email. Look like well constructed campers though.

Thanks for the info and ideas.

rynosurf

Adventurer
mestaghman said:
rynosurf,
How heavy was your Callen?
Not sure of exact weight but I had to install airbags on my old Tacoma to handle the load. I'm sure Callen would give you an estimate if you called them.

18seeds

Explorer
The wood/aluminum argument is always going on. FWC for me was not an option as their lift mechanism is not "SNOW" friendly. The girl you met was Robyn most likely. If the XP camper wasn't coming i'd have Lite-Craft make me a custom camper.

I've been to every factory in CO multiple times. All are great. I have an extensive write up on RV.net.

GL, Chris

theMec

Adventurer
18seeds, good point about the lift mechanism under snow load. Yes, I did talk w/ Robyn at Litecraft. Nice gal. No pressure. I'll look up your rv.net writeup. Thanks.

sonnyboy

Capri 42

Look at the Model 42 with extra wide door, low profile, and light weight.
www.rockabyecampers.com

We go camping because we like the outside. I like the idea of a slide in except that it's TOO isolating from the environment. Currently we have a fiberglass topper w/ a windoor on one side and sliding side window on the other. We usually sleep w/ the back tailgate down and hatch open. I'm looking at less constraining options.

If a slide-in camper (popup or hard side) only had 2 rear doors (like a commercial topper) and windoors on each side I'd be very interested. Unfortunately I haven't found one ...
Please let me know if I've overlooked a manufacturer. Thanks.

hikingff77

Adventurer
Man I love that camper they built, I'd change it just a little though.

I hear ya. That's one reason I like the one that the SuperCamperos built:

phone.jpg

I don't know of a camper that's commercially available that would meet your needs. However, have you considered getting a 'contractor box' like the CargoBody ones, and outfitting the inside yourself?

Or, the military surplus one that CrazyJane linked is apparently still available, but you'd have to add the side windoors.

LateNate

Adventurer
Shamrock

This one was made by Shamrock. I bought it used from someone. I am not sure if they still make it though.
P9110017.jpg
[/IMG]

adrenaline503

Explorer
I have been eyeing the Panther campers myself and think I will go with them when the time comes. They are super nice to talk to and since I am in Seattle they are pretty close. I was asking about options and they offered to have me come down to the factory and throw a few models on my truck and see what I liked. They also offered to modify one for my flatbed.

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
I did a search and can't seem to find a source for these "windoors" you guys are talking about. Anyone have a lead? I'm looking for side windows for my box..

Cheers,

N

decodent

Beware of Panther Campers ...

For what it's worth, I bought a Panther Camper 3 or 4 years ago for my Toyota Tundra. It took such a hit on mileage (dropped from 16-17 to 11-12), that I decided to sell it.

They took it on consignment back in 2008 (heck, maybe even 2007), and then finally sold it last year. Well ... the money has been late in coming. I ended up selling the thing for $2300, and they owe me $2150.

They kept promising they'd send me the check, but it never came. Apparently they've been having financial problems, owed backtaxes, and they took the money from what they owed their customers.

Well, after the umpteenth promise of sending me the money, they finally sent $500. But they still owe me $1650. And that's been over the course of almost a year.

Personally, I don't want anything to do with this company again. They have no integrity, and I don't know how much longer they'll be around.

My $.02 worth. YMMV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles