2015 Colorado. Any plans for a review?

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
True, but when has anyone walked into a Chevy dealer and ever paid anything close to sticker/ online building tool? I know I have never. Even without factory incentives. Dealerships look to move product. In a few months, I am sure that the official incentives will be in. It is hard to compare a Colorado, or any other midsize, to a fullsize Silverado. They are two completely different buyers. People who are interested in a midsize will buy a midsize. People who look at a midsize but end up with a fullsize were always going to end up with a fullsize. People who went in to buy a Tacoma do not leave with a Tundra, and vice versa. There are advantages a midsize offers that a fullsize cannot, and vice versa. I am pretty interested in the Colorado, or a new Ranger. F150s, Sierras, and Silverados do absolutely nothing for me. They offer more drawbacks than advantages.

Agreed, but that is a long way from saying “There are incentives on the Colorado as well... It is a GM product”. I also agree, there are midsize customers, full-size, etc. Like you say, those folks most likely will not go in to buy a Silvy and leave with a Colly or visa versa. That is where GM finally has a good strategy with their 3 truck offering. Small (Colo), medium (Silvy 1500) and large (Silvy 2500/3500). With GM offering a new small truck is good news even for those that would never consider a GM product as it gives encouragement to the other guys like Ford to bring their nice looking global Ranger to the states. I am opposite where I see the small trucks having more disadvantages than advantages although if GM brought over the Holden Ute from Australia and marketed as a modern day El Camino I would be all over that for a daily cruiser.

Clutch

<---Pass
It is hard to compare a Colorado, or any other midsize, to a fullsize Silverado. They are two completely different buyers. People who are interested in a midsize will buy a midsize. People who look at a midsize but end up with a fullsize were always going to end up with a fullsize. People who went in to buy a Tacoma do not leave with a Tundra, and vice versa. There are advantages a midsize offers that a fullsize cannot, and vice versa. I am pretty interested in the Colorado, or a new Ranger. F150s, Sierras, and Silverados do absolutely nothing for me. They offer more drawbacks than advantages.

It depends...I used to be all hawt for mid-size trucks...feeling like I am outgrowing them gear and toy hauling wise. That and the fuel economy isn't all that different. Maybe if the mid-sizes had stellar fuel consumption, they would peak my interest again. Most of my dirt bike buddies have fullsizes...the extra room and power sure is nice. I would be the guy going to look at Tacomas and drive away with a Tundra.

Shoot.. almost did this past summer, drove both the Tacoma and the Tundra...almost came home with the Tundra, but since we were moving...we put the new vehicle purchase on hold.

Clutch

<---Pass
As far as the lifestyle vehicles go, if I could only have one vehicle and didn't need higher ground clearance to get to certain places and needed to tow a boat I would totally rock a Forester, they will easily tow a small trailer with bikes or a snowmobile/ATV loaded up while getting great gas mileage. Plus you can sleep in the back of a Forester quite comfortably from what I hear, and of course more stability on winding roads with rally capability. And after watching that Colorado video posted above I have to say I prefer the styling of the previous body, and you could get it in a V8.

I like the Forester...don't think I could do it if I could only have one vehicle.

Clutch

<---Pass
I'd go with the Colorado. Here's why, it will fit in my garage and my parking structure at work - so what the Silverado is 3k more... it could be cheaper and it wouldn't be a better deal because it simply wouldn't fit where it needs to go. Focusing on the Subaru crowd is a good idea, they're the ones looking for a small pickup... they rock the Colorado for a few years, then buy a full size. With that said, I'm waiting for the diesel in 2016... small, can haul what I need, fits down tight trails - really, you don't need the entire kitchen when your wife can wash dishes too.

Yep, it is an Urbanite pickup...it should do well with the Lumbersexual crowd. NTTIAWWT. :D

Diesel, I dunno....good mpg and torque...don't know if the added cost and fuss is worth it though. The oil burner's injectors, DEF equipment and fuel pumps aren't cheap when they go out of warranty. You're looking at a little truck that is going to be near $40K...not seeing the value.

Pricy little diesel trucks are going to be a tough sell, if gas prices continue to stay low. If they do, we will be seeing a ton of incentives from GM. Guessing a mid-size oil burner is too little too late.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Whats wrong with a pick up that can be easily driven around town? Considering that todays compact/ midsizers are about the same size as the "fullsize" truck of the past.

Absolutely nothing, I currently own said type vehicle...it is joy to zip around Boise in it...fullsize 3/4-1 tons dominate the landscape up here, but lotsa of Subies in town.

For real work and hauling it sucks, to tell you the truth. But we all know that.

My number one complaint with the mid sizes is the fuel consumption. If I am going to buy a general use urban run around vehicle...I want great mpg, you can perform nearly the same tasks of a Tacoma or similar vehicle with Subaru Outback/Forester...as most of those vehicles will never see any real off-road use.

Surprised you aren't saying the same thing, since you tend to pick vehicles apart.

One way to get the mpg's is diesel...however you aren't going to save any money. I can see the value in a $25K TDI Jetta that gets 40 mpg....but not in a midsize truck that will most likely cost upwards of $40K...that might see high 20's in mpg.

So other than ease of parking...it brings us back to fuel consumption and value of a dollar. Price-wise and fuel consumption between the Silverado and Colorado is too close...I "think" majority of truck buyers will see that, not Expedition wanna bees...and go for the Silvy.

Chevy might pull some sales away from Toyota and Nissan...but that is it (I am guessing)...I don't think the Colorado has a snowball's chance in Hell pulling in from loyal Subaru owners though, believe GM products are beneath that crowd.

Last edited:

Viggen

Just here...
No, I agree. I wish that it got better mileage. Problem is, as you have pointed out, fuel in this country is kept artificially cheap. Granted, fuel is inelastic but keeping it cheap means that GM, Nissan, Toyota, and Chrysler can continue to polish the same old and offer it as new. A temporary solution is to offer it in diesel, which GM will. Therein, again as you have pointed out, diesel comes at a higher cost of purchase, both in fuel and motor. Granted, the resale and value retained is higher but for many, the upfront cost is hard to swallow.

I love Subarus. There have been three of them between my wife and I, including the 2015 sitting in the drive right now. I am not too sure that I, nor my wife, want to load loose mulch, gravel, sheetrock, etc... into the Outback though. Or, really, take it down anything more than a gravel road. The Colorado appeals to me because I can do all of that. I can take it to my parents cabin in WVa. I can go hiking and fishing and dump it all into the bed. I can drive it down the fire trail on the property and haul out the Whitetail without worries. Then, I can drive it home and have it fit in the drive, as well as the parking garage at work. I am definitely not the average "expedition" wannabe. I am more someone who enjoys wheeling, and in that, a fullsize makes absolutely zero sense, both for East Coast trails and daily use. That is around here though.

Going after the Subaru crowd is stupid. If you want a wagon, you get a wagon. The Outback is not even the best offroad capable active wagon I have owned. That goes to my '05 allroad. That thing was fantastic and I miss it. The only thing that really makes the Outback better is that it stays out of the stealership longer than the allroad did. The active lifestyle crowd does not necessarily buy an Outback, or an Element, or a particular type of car. They might buy a compact truck though.

There is plenty to pick apart in this offering. That is true. 19/25 is not amazing but it is better than the competition. Are prices close to Silverado prices? Maybe. But is a similarly equipped Silverado closely priced? I am not sure but I doubt it. It will probably push the segment forward though, unless it turns out to be a phenomenal money mistake, which I hope it does not.

Clutch

<---Pass
what is it with people east of the mountains? too many sheep in their beds?
here let's try this:

so please, now that you've made someone who could have been your friend and enemy - ******** - I think I hear your wife bleeting for you.

Whoa...dude..it was a bit of sarcasm...take it easy...don't want you blowing a nut or worse. Heck, I even dressed like a Lumbersexual today...

see, the difference between you and I is I don't need to show the world my lack of manhood and then try to make up that manhood with a truck that's too big to do much of anything other than guzzle gas and get stuck on anything softer than pavement.

********...says the guy with a Hummer, you do realize I own a Tacoma and a Trooper...and just sold a cherry '73 VW Westy? Ahh...yeah, quite find with my manhood, there fella.

Oh wait, this just in - that was your girlfriend bleeting for you - need a pickup to haul that heifer of a wife. You know, you really didn't have to marry your sister.... but as she's the only one that would look at you through her good eye, I get it... you with all that tooth... but how will you afford that truck with your meth habit? a new truck isn't part of the Affordable Health Act.

What the Hell are you talking about? "Bleeting" never heard that before...enlighten me.

You do realize we just moved here from Arizona (and from PA originally), my 115 lbs. wife is a Professor at a Liberal Arts College...

Sober self employed here...pay my own health insurance thank you very much.

So where were we....???

Oh yeah...the new Colorado...

Last edited:

Viggen

Just here...
****** is going on here? I think we were having a pretty good discussion until this guy came out of the woods.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
i think the hummers are fad vehicles, if its not a am general h1. i dont the warrant the title hummer. The vehicles are ok but the name its been given just bothers me. I do feel they're over priced for what they are. But im a idiot according to my wife so what do i know.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
No, I agree. I wish that it got better mileage. Problem is, as you have pointed out, fuel in this country is kept artificially cheap. Granted, fuel is inelastic but keeping it cheap means that GM, Nissan, Toyota, and Chrysler can continue to polish the same old and offer it as new. A temporary solution is to offer it in diesel, which GM will. Therein, again as you have pointed out, diesel comes at a higher cost of purchase, both in fuel and motor. Granted, the resale and value retained is higher but for many, the upfront cost is hard to swallow.

I love Subarus. There have been three of them between my wife and I, including the 2015 sitting in the drive right now. I am not too sure that I, nor my wife, want to load loose mulch, gravel, sheetrock, etc... into the Outback though. Or, really, take it down anything more than a gravel road. The Colorado appeals to me because I can do all of that. I can take it to my parents cabin in WVa. I can go hiking and fishing and dump it all into the bed. I can drive it down the fire trail on the property and haul out the Whitetail without worries. Then, I can drive it home and have it fit in the drive, as well as the parking garage at work. I am definitely not the average "expedition" wannabe. I am more someone who enjoys wheeling, and in that, a fullsize makes absolutely zero sense, both for East Coast trails and daily use. That is around here though.

Going after the Subaru crowd is stupid. If you want a wagon, you get a wagon. The Outback is not even the best offroad capable active wagon I have owned. That goes to my '05 allroad. That thing was fantastic and I miss it. The only thing that really makes the Outback better is that it stays out of the stealership longer than the allroad did. The active lifestyle crowd does not necessarily buy an Outback, or an Element, or a particular type of car. They might buy a compact truck though.

There is plenty to pick apart in this offering. That is true. 19/25 is not amazing but it is better than the competition. Are prices close to Silverado prices? Maybe. But is a similarly equipped Silverado closely priced? I am not sure but I doubt it. It will probably push the segment forward though, unless it turns out to be a phenomenal money mistake, which I hope it does not.

Time will tell if GM rolled the dice well.

Not saying the Colorado is a bad vehicle...I was hoping for more, weren't you? High 20's mpg gas engine, 4WD, and manual trans. I would do a small displacement turbo gasser over a diesel. Totally get the size thing, I have been driving Toyotas for 25 years now. They are great for small jobs and play...no doubt about it. Love love love my Tacoma, I use the crap out of that thing, probably never sell it. Though I feel I have out grown it gear carrying-wise. I can certainly make it work and have for years. I am in the market for a new truck... in the $30-35K price range...you can get more truck for the same money. So I am looking at the mid-size trucks and trying to justify the expense. Watch...I'll end up with another Tacoma. *rolleyes*

Nothing really in the midsize category that is too exciting currently...even though it is fullsize the Ram EcoDiesel might work (it is close to the wants and needs)...not sure I want to take risk on Chry product with my money. Ya know what I mean?

Oh...I wasn't calling you an "expedition wanna bee"...just generalizing, most people who buy mid-size 4WD trucks on here...don't go and beat on them, the majority will do fine with an AWD Wagon of some sorts. Heck...I would do fine with an AWD Wagon...to be honest.

We have an SUV as well...can't haul anything in it without fear of ruining the interior. Actually we are going to sell it because of that, among other things. Was trying to talk the wife into a Subaru, she said no, we have a wagon now that is mostly useless other than hauling people which we don't do....just get another truck since they are more useful.

Last edited:

mikeJKUR

Adventurer
And back on topic.

I am a little disappointed with the Colorado. I was hoping it would have some of the features that was on the HT3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94