2015 Colorado. Any plans for a review?

Ok so I actually drove a grey 4dr 4x4 short bed z1 today, also looked at a LT version 4dr.
my impressions?I drove one today as well, 4 dor, 4x4 short bed and I think z1 option level

Size is just about right. Any smaller and your better off with a big jeep or nice SUV wagon. It drives nice very quiet, steering feel I have to say is really good. Tight turning radius big plus. Size is right for me as well (thats what she said) I would say that it drives alright. During the test drive I intentialy flew over some deeper rain collecting troughs in an intersection to feel how stiff the suspension and frame are. It was about what I expected, probably not as stiff and truck-like as a Taco.

The negatives
The top level trim seats and seat materials felt and looked cheaper than the lower cloth trim version. Interior options not worth it, Id gut it and put after market leather in if I wanted good looking high quality seat coverings, or just get the cloth given the lower trim covers felt far more substantial regarding material weight.

Rear seat wasnt bad space wise for sure not a knee smasher with a decent sized front passenger in the front seat. Rear seat seemed to have a decent cusion not a thinhard seat.
Front seats felt good but a little narrow, big guys would probably find the seats tight regarding hip room.I thought the front seats were too stiff, but I'm used to the cushy seats in my FJ60.
Rear doors in typical GM style are quiet skinny that might be a negative for folks using the back seat. The current Tacoma rear doors seem much larger.

The stock battery in the V6 -z1 Im not kidding is smaller than the battery in my 2.5L Subaru, however! I can see they had tabs in the plastic battery tray for a larger battery, guessing tray is used in the Diesel also with a larger battery.
The stock tires look small, too small. The Z1 I drove had the full techno babble package, I didnt even look at that stuff.I tried to not look at the techno gizmos. The salesperson insisted on talking about the number of USB plugs (=cupholders IMO) while I wanted to crawl underneith and look at the frame.

I like the size. But I think it wont be hard for Nissan and Toyota to offer nicer finishes seats and the little things that would make it the full package. The Diesel will be very interesting. The V6 has a very sedate throttle response. Not sharp and punchy at al. The Diesel my actually feel better with its large torque very early on in the revs.
I'm also waiting for the diesel Colorado and the new Nissan diesel if they can get it out for the 2016 model year.

Overall, my review is similar to your experience calicamper. I'm not super impressed by it but it will likely provide a welcome shake-up for other manufacturers to get improvements into their products. I could end up buying a Colorado but i want to look at the diesel when they come out later this year. IMO, too many car-like features in the colorado, not enough truck ones, like a rear diff lock, though I was told this was available in the highest package offering. I later found out that its an autolocker, not selectable. One other thing, I did notice that the Colorado does not have an electrical outlet in the bed like Tacomas do. Kind of a minor point, but I would find this very useful. Oh, and since many people are choosing to compare the look of the new Canyon/Colorado to other models, I think it looks like a newish Hilux.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior