My New Build: 1990 3-Door Nissan Patrol, 4.2, Diesel

Patrollife

Explorer
I recently purchased a new-to-me 1990 3-Door Nissan Patrol GQ/Y60 SWB, 4.2, Diesel and figured I'd start a build thread right away. I was late to the game with my FJ.

The first thing I did to her was remove the Mustang emblem (shaking my head as to why this was even on there) and gutted the interior driver side door.

The first stage of my build will concentrate on the following:

1. Attending to key engine and structural needs
2. Complete refurbishment of the interior
3. New lights, front and rear, washer blades, etc.
4. Blacking out the wheels (or replacing them)
5. BFG KM2s

My overall build strategy: dependable and capable overland vehicle used for weekend getaways, accessing remote trails for trail running with my Ridgeback, and 2-3 week-long expeditions that involve highway and backcountry access.

560262_1509747809274754_5020989122229525624_n.jpg

1426539_1509747925941409_1012468729405793089_n.jpg

10389087_1510090279240507_3978185819680096490_n.jpg

10801849_1510090295907172_6501847613484768343_n.jpg
10801755_1510090292573839_6210001477508458728_n.jpg

Last edited:

EricMcGrew

Adventurer
While most people are focused on how impressive, unique or extreme the build concept or items are, I personally like to see details in the builds. This adds character to the build, and I think you're off to a good start! Going to be watch this build with interest. Have Fun!

EricMcGrew

Adventurer
Thanks, Eric! Just subscribed to offroadindependence. Hope it went through.

No problem, and Thank You for subscribing too. Just a question though. Did you subscribe to the newsletter from the ORDI homepage, or thru itunes. Cause I didn't get a new subscriber notice.

Thanks though for subscribing! I'll probablly start a thread on here for my podcast soon.

Patrollife

Explorer
Thanks PetitFrereArmada! Great to be a part of the Nissan group.

@ Eric - I subscribed through ORDI; at least I think I did. I listened to the Podcast about your favorite question(s). Enjoyed the discussion - got me to think more about how to approach my build.

EricMcGrew

Adventurer
Thanks PetitFrereArmada! Great to be a part of the Nissan group.

@ Eric - I subscribed through ORDI; at least I think I did. I listened to the Podcast about your favorite question(s). Enjoyed the discussion - got me to think more about how to approach my build.

Hmmm... That worries me a bit, because I got no notice of new subscriber. Did you get a confirmation email? If not, I'll make some adjustments, let you know, and if you would be willing, we could test by you re-subscribing. Sorry for the inconvenience while trying to subscribe to my podcast.

On another note though... You should check out the thread here on Ex Port on Chile in the International/Latin America section. The member who started the thread is Chilean and drives a cool Patrol! The link is http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/53271-Chile. Just a note. A lot of the photos for the first few pages are no longer available. Keep going though. There are some cool photos of Chile and JPVM's Patrol.

Patrollife

Explorer
Both of those Patrols are awesome! I think the first one is on the Patrol4x4 website. I was checking out his rig last night.

Also, this is just an observation, but it seems like the Cooper M/Ts are more popular outside the US. Might have to consider them as I research tires for the Trooper!

And, I will look into the subscription. Maybe it's me. Will check it out again when I get home tonight from work.

P.S. .... why can't my next posting be in Chile!

EricMcGrew

Adventurer
Honestly Chile has it's very good points to it. However, it is definately more expensive than other south american countries. Since the economy is a lot better than other countries there is a larger group of wheelers, and guys who seriously mod their rigs than, lets say Bolivia. I hear that off-roading in Brasil is big too.

As far as the Cooper brand goes... I really don't know why, but they do seem to be a bigger deal outside of the U.S. Could be that the cost of Cooper in the U.S. is just enough higher, than the others to make most people go with another company. Here in Chile though, all the Off-Road tire models are super expensive. My set of Cooper STMaxx cost me $1200 U.S. for the set of for, and that was thru a friend who got me a GREAT DEAL. Net time though, honestly, I'll probably go back to Maxxis. It's not that Maxxis is so much better. It's just that they are equally good, and they will be a few hunder cheaper for the set. One thing for sure though, I do like the side wall protection that the some of the Cooper line offers.

Patrollife

Explorer
@ Eric - did you receive a new subscription notice. I tried again this morning. This time I received an email confirmation.

EricMcGrew

Adventurer
I sure did! I'll respond with the intro newsletter in a little while. Thanks!

I sent you the welcome newsletter so please let me know that you got it, and it's ok. I haven't had any problems with anyone else, but I just want to make sure it got to you. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles