Air or CO2???

kjp98TJ

Observer
i've run a york oba setup on my TJ. sold that off and bought a CO2 setup for ease and portability. sold that off and currently going back to a york. don't need a tank in my experience, doesn't improve anything. i setup an "octopus" to inflate 4 tires at once, and could do so in about 4 mins, straight off the york. unlimited air, easy setup. and can come in cheaper than C02, at least in my setup. i realize not the case for all vehicles.

SEREvince

Adventurer
Wow, the internet really is forever. I stumbled across this thread randomly and found a picture of my previous rig, that I just sold about a month ago. It was in WAY better shape back then! lol.

I just went through this whole decision process again with the new rig. I ran C02 for years on the Taco before installing ARB lockers and the required compressor. I decided to go back to Co2 on the JK. Still built my own, but it was way easier this time with Amazon Prime! That old tank worked great. The main issues were the regulator would freeze up after filling the second or third rig or so. Also EVERYONE wanted to use my Co2 at the end of a ride!. lol 4min to refill all 4 tires vs 10 with my ARB compressor. That old tank saved the day more than once. I can't remember if it was Tellico or URE but I remember hanging at the top of obstacle one day and reseating multiple lost beads.

11 year later it looks like Co2 has gone up in price considerably. It still cost me $15, but I'm only running a 5lb tank now.

For the money my 1050 was a great purchase. For my 255's it takes about 20-25 minutes to fill all of them. I wanted to buil the air tank set up for it but would like to use an air tool off it if the problem calls for it. what do people think of this idea instead of the expensive PowerTank? Thanks for the replys too.
co21.jpg

here's a little more info for you,

http://www.powertank.com/charts.specs

I built my own C02 system for about $120. I am know running a 20lb tank and it fills my tire(1) in about 30 seconds. I normally air down to about 12-15psi. I run 285/75/16s at about 35psi on the road. According to the powertank chart I can fill 40 tires of that size! I didn't see the air tool chart, but if I recall a 15lb tank could run a impact for about 8 mins(continously) or remove something like 100 lugnuts. The refills cost about $15 and can be done at any fire extinguisher supply store and many paintball and 4WD supply stores as well. It is also portable so if your buddies rig breaks in the middle of the trail, you can just carry it up and have him up and running in no time. It will also allow to reseat a broken bead, which is well beyond the capabilities of most compressors. The liquid state of the Co2 allows for much more volume than a comparable size air tank and is much safer than you think. The tank is only under about 300psi of pressure, which is just over twice what a air compressor will put out, NOTHING like a SCUBA type tank which can be 3000-5000 psi (steel DIN tanks). A Co2 tank will not shoot through the side of your rig even under the worst case of you whacking the valve clean off. Besides the fact that you can easily protect the valve from damage with a guard.

Oh well there's my $.02 and then some.

I do check my tank by weight before any trip. (the tank gauge is useless on a Co2 tank BTW it measures pressure which is constant! NOT liquid volume.).

But if I do happen to run out you know I love you guys with the bling onboard air compressor/tank set ups right?

Cheers

Vince

rayra

Expedition Leader
seconding despain's posts about nitrogen. It's just a damned up-sell scam. The only place it matters is on a high performance race car track. It's meaningless in street tires or off-road. And that's mostly because it's a 'dry' (processed) gas, INERT and cheap. And just a casual glance at a periodic table would show you nitrogen is a smaller atom and not a 'larger molecule'.

one other thing - even if you could plumb your 'ARB' air compressor into your CO2 / nitrogen bottle, you'll be injecting condensed moisture into your bottle. Especially if you are on the wet half of WA State. Fine in an emergency, but those bottles don't have bottom drain valves like normal compressed air tanks. So you better plan on venting that bottle (upside down? do their valves work that way) and refilling it after every tim you use a plumbed compressor to fill it.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
I've used a CO2, 20# tank and appropriate hardware that won't freeze up for a long time. It used to be strapped to the bulkhead behind the center console in my CJ-8 and would inflate at least 32 tires from 8 pounds to 32 pounds. Now that the Jeep is gone I use it strapped to the center behind the console in my Dodge pickup. The hose will reach all four corners from there.
The thing I think that has not been broached is speculating on how many fill ups you want from any inflation device you decide on. When we did a week in Moab, we would re inflate the tires at the end of the day to get back to camp in town, which was variously 10 miles to 40 miles. That's a while if your are at low pressure and on pavement. The 20 pound tank would easily last the duration for my CJ-8 with 37's on 10 inch wide wheels.
If only using the tank occasionally and for one or two rigs, a high bucks York spinoff would be a good bet. It's a lot more effort with the installation, but will yield years of semi trouble free use. But you really need an air tank, and take particular attention to the lubrication of the York.
Yes, mea culpa, I was hoping against hope that a China Freight, high volume pump would work as a backup, but the two I tried self destructed within a tire or two. One got so hot it went into one piece, no moving parts, and the other, the head cracked reducing the pressure coming out of the hose.
jefe

another_mike

Adventurer
I've used a CO2, 20# tank and appropriate hardware that won't freeze up for a long time.
Curious on your setup.

and thanks to SEREvince for resurrecting this 11 year old thread. :)

This thread let me to do a little googling and found people are using the beverage c02 tanks.

Mundo, what regular are you using? I see many are using static 150psi ones.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I guess I'll chime in. Up until last year, I ran C02. Didn't really like it, but it packed well and was easy. But like others have said, everyone wants to borrow it and they say, "Oh its like, $15 to go fill it up, no big deal". Well they forget about how you gotta take time out, find a place, and how its a bit more than that. Regulator freezing was a problem, but you could still soldier on.

Either way, switched over to a portable dual piston ARB. It was EXPENSIVE AS CRAP but holy smokes, what a great setup. Just recently at URE, I had a bad time with my tires. Many flats and a few other vehicles had issues as well. The ARB stepped up. Being portable was crucial as there was a vehicle back a few car lengths with a puncture (also Safety Seal tire plug kit ****** there). But yes, a few problems with big tires but the ARB worked very well.

Also I enjoy being able to blow the dust out of my truck at the end of the day and clean crap off the radiator (we went into a field with flowering tall grass...all of our radiators were white at the end).

Also letting others borrow the air chuck isn't a problem anymore.

Speaking of the air chuck, I had problems with mine. I emailed ARB and they sent me a brand new one, no questions. Also went to their booth at expo east. Great customer service.

I think the C02 was great for once in a while, but the ARB has been the ticket for me. I have no qualms airing down to 20 psi or whatever on my street tires for light trails and don't mind sharing.

MOguy

Explorer
Old post back from the dead but I suppose it is still relevant today.

My first setup was 110V compressor tank and dc/ac convertor. Great way to go if you have the space. I am in a wrangler and space is the only reason I didn't stick with it. Then I went CO2 but got tired of refills. CO2 or nitrogen is FAST but you will probably run out of the gas in the middle of refilling your tires. For me dealing with refill was too much of a was a hassle. I wouldn't consider going with CO2 or anything I had to refill again.

For about a decade I have run the MV50. Cheap, reliable, small but not as fast. If or when it goes out I will buy another. I can spare the extra few minutes when I refill. I am not in that much of a hurry that I can't weight for my MV50. I just don't think more expensive compressors are worth it for me.

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Tried CO2 (the aluminum tank from the MIG, with a different regulator (also works for adding fizz to drinks and fruit).. started running the little MIG with straight CO2 because the CO2 was free and just never changed that one back to mix), here's what I found (warning opinion follows/your mileage may vary);
..it takes up too much space (more than 4 times that of a small compressor).
..airing up is, mostly, only done once per trip so kicking back in camp with a brew is a satisfying way to kill that time, needs a latching/screw on tire chuck (before leaving the next day).
..air pressure is not typically needed for anything but, activating the air lockers and airing up tires; very rarely for reseating other people's tires on their rims (I carry hand tools, more compact than air tools, for emergency repairs).
..while CO2 could power the air locker ...why? when the locker compressor is so much smaller (and mid size and bigger ARB compressors have so far been utterly reliable (have had 3, the newest has not yet been installed), over near 30 years)... drain the ARB compressor tank, all air compressor tankes, really, as required, to prevent water buildup.
..on a previous vehicle I did the air conditioner compressor conversion/on board air thing; it was much better at most things than a small electric compressor and still freed up significant space, not a big enough advantage for me to go through the trouble of adding a second, converted, air conditioning compressor just for on board air though...

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Lucky j

Explorer
I prefer unlimited supply, so I went with OBA, a viar 100% duty cycle with under body air thank hidden between the frame rail and the drive shaft of my Tj unlimeted. Set-up used to be in my YJ.

Never had any issue, never had to bring a back-up, actually helping friend with co2 thanks from time to time. But I do not run air tools in the trail or on trip, to much extra weight and space.

And only changing a tire if I'm not able to reset the bead (to much on bead and rim) or side wall puncture. Anything esle is reset or repair on the axle.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
You have to seat the tire bead with starting fluid first. Then you can fill with CO2. CO2 will just ice up the reg if you use huge bursts of it trying seat a bead. Any time a pressurized liquid changes states, to a gas, if gets super cold. That's how HVAC works.

Heck even pressurized gasses can ice up. Someone damaged the valve on a scuba tank and it just hissed out for 5 minutes, iced up and stopped. Then 5 minutes later, it was hissing again. Over and over for 20 min.

With kids around, the safest bet is to just use a regular low pressure tank, say about 5-10 gallons and a Chinese knockoff of the VAIR compressors. That's what I wound do. (and get some starting fluid)

CO2 tanks are generally chinese, and more prone to exploding than any other type of medium pressure vessel I know of. I don't even think they get hydro tested, if think most industries scrap them and buy new. VIP'ing and hydro testing steel tanks is a bit of a pain for jeep and expo use.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Mike in FL,
I originally bought the little Power Tank that had all the right plumbing, gauges, and hardware. Most people who clab their air-up rig together misunderstand the physics of very cold CO2 rushing through all the components, and subsequently have a so-so experience. You need the gauges and valves to slow down the dispensing of CO2 according to the season. Soon it was revealed that the 5# aluminum tank was too small to go a week or 10 days in Moab: yes, because everyone within earshot wants a free fill at the end of the jeeping day. When I went to get a refill, the workman happily traded my 5# tank for a 20# aluminum tank. He could not fathom that I did not want a steel tank.
The price of CO2 has risen over time since I got my first tank in 1994. I think it was $13 for a fill of the 5#. Now, it's up to 30-something$ for the 20# tank. Filling up 13.50x37 Jeep tires was no problem and fast. Filling up my 35 inch truck tires from 28 pound to 65 pounds takes a bit longer. Taking the longest, because of the volume was filling my 16 inch wide, 375/65R16 super singles on 12 inch wide rims from 22 pounds (dune pressure) to 65 pounds.

jefe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz