Mitsubishi Montero Gen 2.5 Gas Gauge In-Tank Sender Replacement

BEG

Adventurer
I hate for my first post on ExPo to be a cry for help but I'm dealing with this right now and I'm stuck. I have a 2000 Endeavor model with a faulty sending unit and the three bolts that hold it in place are rusted solid to the mounting studs. I've tried all the usual penetrants but it's clear that the studs won't survive. Are these studs welded to the tank or can they be easily replaced? If not, I'll be shopping for a new tank. Thanks in advance.

Brian

Jay Ayala

Explorer
I would drain all the fuel into a gas can, then use PB Blaster. Scrape off all the rust and grime with a small steel wire brush. Get the remaining threads on the studs completely clean. Then heat the nut with a blow dryer or a low setting on a heat gun. Then quickly put an ice cube directly on the stud. The idea here is to use the heat to expand the nut and the cold to contract the stud. Sometimes you can hear it "crack".

If that doesn't work, you will need to muscle that out and either weld new studs or replace the tank.

BEG

Adventurer
I would drain all the fuel into a gas can, then use PB Blaster. Scrape off all the rust and grime with a small steel wire brush. Get the remaining threads on the studs completely clean. Then heat the nut with a blow dryer or a low setting on a heat gun. Then quickly put an ice cube directly on the stud. The idea here is to use the heat to expand the nut and the cold to contract the stud. Sometimes you can hear it "crack".

If that doesn't work, you will need to muscle that out and either weld new studs or replace the tank.

Thanks for the quick response. There's very little actual nut left on the studs. They're more like blobs of rust, and the studs themselves are in similar shape. I've got a line on a tank from a gen II that might work so, I'll probably do something similar to the procedure outlined here and take my sweet time with it. Probably line and paint the tank while I'm at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles