Project AWOL: 1986 CUCV M1010 Ambulance

Resources

I have to acknowledge the resources that inspired me to start this project and have provided me with lots of very helpful info and some great ideas. Without these resources this would be an impossible project for me, which is why I've decided to take the time to record my own build in the hopes that I can help out someone with their own project.

stevo-mt's M1010 "Mountain Turtle" Build: If it weren't for this build thread I likely wouldn't have had the cojones to buy the M1010. This reads almost like a how-to guide for what I want to do with my truck.

CUCV GRV's M1010 Build

Expo Mike's M1010 Build

chrisquested's M1010 Build

PlethoraOfGuns CUCV M1031 Build

mfriguy's M1010 build, which I've been following on his instagram.

The Steel Soldiers forum is also a great resource for anyone working on a military vehicle. These vehicles have a few unique quirks that differentiate them from the civilian models, and this forum has been useful for specific technical problems/questions.

Why an M1010?

While I wouldn't consider myself a true 4x4 enthusiast, my truck gets me to and from my adventures and often times serves as my accommodations, food cache, kitchen, basecamp and starting point. I haven't done many trips where the driving was the purpose/focus of the trip, it's typically a means to get me somewhere to mountain bike, hunt, hike, paddle and a comfortable place to rest and eat when I get back.

With the hopes of extending my outdoor adventure season while avoiding having to pay for/find dog friendly accommodations, I had started to look into the possibility of refurbishing a camper trailer or up-fitting a utility trailer. While I wasn't thrilled about the idea of having a trailer behind my truck this seemed like the best solution, until I stumbled across a used M1010 (with only 74,000km on it!) on kijiji. The M1010 seemed to be the perfect solution for me:

• The price was right. I got this truck for the price of a fixer-upper camper trailer, so it was within my budget.

• In my opinion, the truck is an excellent “foundation” for an expo project. Without repeating too much of what's already been said, it's powered by a 6.2L V8 “Detroit” diesel, it has 4.56:1 ring and pinion ratio, Dana 60 up front and a 14 bolt corporate in the rear with a Detroit Locker. The aluminum, insulated, ambulance box is heavy-duty and mine came with a functioning A/C unit, diesel fired heater and 24V power distribution/fuse block. Unlike the other CUCV's, the ambulance has a 200a 24V system (twin 24v alternators). Mine has not been converted to 12V like stevo-mt's was.

• For an amateur mechanic, the M1010 is appealing due to its relative simplicity. It is a primarily “mechanical” truck, and I hope to be able to perform most of the work myself. I want to be able to repair it in the field if needed. Since it was a military vehicle there are also very detailed maintenance and parts manuals that cover everything from basic routine maintenance to complex repairs.

• As far as I can tell, parts seem to be easily available and affordable. (parts stores, ebay, amazon)

• The M1010 is still a “stealth” camper, when compared to a camper trailer or a rooftop tent. I can sleep overnight at a trailhead before a long day hike, even if camping may not be technically allowed. It also gives me the ability to stake out the McDonald's parking lot after that long day hike, to ensure I get my sausage McMuffin in the morning. Not that I've ever done that…

• I don't have to cringe when I drill a hole or pull out the grinder like I did with my Silverado. This is a real Overland Bush rig, and will not be my daily driver. If the truck needs to be out of commission while I'm working on it, it's no big deal.

• I intend to turn my M1010 into a sort of "poor mans" earthroamer. I figure I can have it outfitted for around 20-25k total. This will be a slow process, and I can upgrade as funds become available.

• The M1010 held a bit of extra romance for me as I spent a few years in the Canadian Forces

• It's ************.

Progress

I like what CUCV GRV did on his build thread, having a sort of summary of work/upgrades on the first page. I'm going to do the same thing and update it as I go for those that don't want to scroll through the entire thread.
Some of this stuff is common sense routine maintenance but still necessary work and cost to be considered. I'll go into more detail on each item as I get the work done; this will be a long-term build, "slow is pro".

Completed/Installed:

-Air Filter (K&N E-1690)
-Fuel Filter (FRAM P3940A)
-Replaced the fuel filter with a spin-on filter, replaced fuel lines from mechanical lift pump to filter, then to injector pump. (solved hard start problem)
-Oil Filter/Fresh Oil (FRAM PH5)
-Transmission Filter/Fluid (FRAM FT1020A)
-Transfer case fluid change
-Differential fluid change (80w90)
-12V 160A Alternator (Leece-Neville 110-555JHO) and DUVAC (Dual Voltage Alternator Controller) removal
-Glow Plug resistor and controller bypass
-Glow Plug Relay (NAPA ST85)
-"Doghead relay" Starter Solenoid Replacement (Part # 7-01860-1)
-12V 1000W Motomaster “PureSine” inverter (for laptops, charging power tool batteries)
-New 12V Power Distribution (Blue Sea PowerBus/Post)
-Rad flush/new coolant
-Heater Core (NAPA 94553) & hoses.
-LED side floodlights
-LED backup lighting
-VIAIR Constant Duty on board air system (for airing down/up the truck tires, as well as my tubeless bicycle tires)
-Sylvania Silverstar H6054 headlights
-Cobra CB radio w/ temporary shorty antenna (broke my fiberglass antenna)

Bought but not Completed/Installed:

-Canadian Flag Decal (very important)
-John Deere “Blitz Black” paint & thinner
-Replace glow plugs (WELLMAN G070, replaced 4/8, other 4 are swollen and won't come out so I need a tool)
-Temporary (used) tires: LT315 70R17 Cooper Discoverer ATR
-LMC Heavy-Duty headlight harness
-ProComp 17x9 (4.75” backspacing) alloy rims, 8on6.5” bolt pattern

Future Upgrades (under consideration and open to suggestions):

-37x12.5 R17 Tires... still undecided which tires would be best (Falken Wildpeaks? BFG All Terrain KO2's?)
-Bushwacker Front Cutout fender flares
-Offroad Designs 4” Lift system (details to follow)
-Offroad Designs Crossover Steering
-Front Detroit locker
-12,000lb Winch and Accessories
-Spare tire carrier
-Trailer hitch
-Need to brainstorm a way to carry my bike(s) without having to store them inside the camper box. Leaning towards something like THIS
-Eventually looking into the Banks' Turbo kit (that's a long way off, maybe I'll wait for stevo-mt to do his first!)

-Auxiliary drive lights (LED light bar?)
-Dome Light

-Solar panels and CTEK dual charging system
-Camper battery bank
-Fridge/Freezer
-Freshwater/greywater tanks and pump(s)
-Sink
-Stovetop (thinking Camp Chef)
-Camper box Lighting
-Camper box “furniture” (eating area, sleeping area, ballroom)
-Not sure if I want to go through the trouble of having a toilet and blackwater system. Shovel might suffice.​

I haven't included all the tools I've been buying to do all this work myself ($$$), which is certainly something to be considered but maybe not a topic for this thread. I've been trying to pick up stuff second-hand or on sale. May need a new compressor to power all these new air tools!

IMG_4234[1].jpg IMG_4225.jpg

IMG_4230.jpg IMG_4229.jpg

522040_10100973730773736_2201109613154425021_n.jpg 10378247_10100952072866356_3007182977568476182_n.jpg

10402860_10100955302678786_2391074746551952746_n.jpg 10419972_10100962704919636_664985190087717966_n.jpg

10633323_10154606940980567_1243505793952573228_o.jpg 63427_10100985016641766_2342316357271714983_n.jpg

Last edited:

superbuickguy

Explorer
you have a 14 bolt full floater in the rear - in short, you have the best, light-duty suspension under your truck that there is this side of a Hummer H1 with a box.... a 10 bolt would not handle the weight of the box, let alone a load or off-road... despite that clerical correction, I love those things - keep us updated on your build.

I'd add this to your build list - a Gale Banks turbo - if you keep your eyes on Craigslist, you can buy them cheap (like $300, cheap), a complete rebuild kit for that turbo is $400 - so even if the turbo is trashed, getting the manifold, turbo housing, and air box will put you on the road to grins... despite the haters, the 6.2 is a really good motor as long as you don't ever overheat it.

you have a 14 bolt full floater in the rear - in short, you have the best, light-duty suspension under your truck that there is this side of a Hummer H1 with a box.... a 10 bolt would not handle the weight of the box, let alone a load or off-road... despite that clerical correction, I love those things - keep us updated on your build.

I'd add this to your build list - a Gale Banks turbo - if you keep your eyes on Craigslist, you can buy them cheap (like $300, cheap), a complete rebuild kit for that turbo is $400 - so even if the turbo is trashed, getting the manifold, turbo housing, and air box will put you on the road to grins... despite the haters, the 6.2 is a really good motor as long as you don't ever overheat it.

Thanks, corrected. I'm an amateur mechanic at best so I'm in over my head a bit on this one. Looking for all the input and advice I can get!

Up to this point I've been mostly trying to sort out the electrical system, which is a nightmare as they removed all the medical/gas filtration equipment in the ambulance box and just cut the wires, and the whole system is overly complex due to the dual voltage. The batteries were constantly running down, so I'm troubleshooting and cleaning/replacing as I go.

More updates to follow.

ExpoMike

Awesome. Glad to see a 1010 getting some love. I REALLY miss mine and in many ways wish I would have built up the camper. I have so many ideas running around that I never got to do. At the same time, I love our Dodge and FWC which has worked awesome for us. I don't miss the thought of missing 2+ years of some great trips, that I would have likely been building the 1010. Wish I could have had both rigs. :) Good luck.

Awesome. Glad to see a 1010 getting some love. I REALLY miss mine and in many ways wish I would have built up the camper. I have so many ideas running around that I never got to do. At the same time, I love our Dodge and FWC which has worked awesome for us. I don't miss the thought of missing 2+ years of some great trips, that I would have likely been building the 1010. Wish I could have had both rigs. :) Good luck.

Thanks! I'll certainly need some luck.

Fortunately I have the Silverado as my daily driver and stand-in adventuremobile, so I can take my time with the M1010 build. I'd like to try to do everything "right" the first time instead of rushing, and there is LOTS of work to be done (and lots of coin to be spent).

My initial justification that the M1010 was the same price as a cheap camper trailer has gone out the window, as I've been spending all of my time and money so far getting the TRUCK portion of the project sorted out and haven't even begun on the camper portion. O'well, I'm hoping the end product will be worth it!

superbuickguy

Explorer
Thanks, corrected. I'm an amateur mechanic at best so I'm in over my head a bit on this one. Looking for all the input and advice I can get!

Up to this point I've been mostly trying to sort out the electrical system, which is a nightmare as they removed all the medical/gas filtration equipment in the ambulance box and just cut the wires, and the whole system is overly complex due to the dual voltage. The batteries were constantly running down, so I'm troubleshooting and cleaning/replacing as I go.

More updates to follow.

I know quite a bit about the platform and the 6.2... any questions, simply PM me and ask here as well... and never let anyone talk you out of the front axle, they are worth bucks. Right now I have an 83 that I converted to turbo and 3/4 ton - I love the truck, if I can get a hook on it, I can pull it... and when I blow up the transfer case, I've got a NP 205 under my bench waiting for its new home.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Great looking truck James. I think you have a really nice platform there for a cool adventure rig. The camo paint looks way cool. I would gut all the wiring out of the back and then get an electrician to rewire it to your specs. Nothing worse than trying to rewire someone else s mess. Please keep us informed about any updates and post lots of pics...:drool:

stevo-mt

I'm excited to see the M1010 fleet growing! I'm trying to figure out the mountain bike hauling situation as well. It's one of my favorite things to do! I was thinking a guy could make a swing out mountain bike rack similar to a swing out tire rack on the opposite side. A few years back I made one that went in the receiver hitch but it really wouldn't work well for camping and getting in and out of the back easy. Maybe even make it detachable as well? There are too many critters on the side of the road to put up in the front! The last time I was in Moab, UT I rented a new bike and they are pretty fussy how you carry them so it rode inside the truck camper.

I'm going to tackle the banks install next month. It wouldn't be a big deal, but I have a tone of electrical junk in the way. Plus I have to build the rest of the exhaust piping... Should be fun though!

MakersTeleMark

Adventurer
I just bolted a cut down bike rack tire holder and bolted a qr to the bumper. So easy to load. Bomber too. Position bike upside down, take front tire off, put on QR, swing up and take a cam strap and secure to rail.

Donezo, easy peazy.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
If you mounted the bike from the side facing your truck and lock the carrier, it would be a good theft deterrent too.

I just bolted a cut down bike rack tire holder and bolted a qr to the bumper. So easy to load. Bomber too. Position bike upside down, take front tire off, put on QR, swing up and take a cam strap and secure to rail.

Donezo, easy peazy.

Got a photo of this setup? I'm having a hard time trying to visualize what this looks like...

on the rear bumper? on an M1010?

Subscribed. And ditch those Swellman's and put in AC60G's and do the resister bypass to prevent cascading failure.

Unfortunately the "Swellman's" are already paid for and shipped, didn't realize they weren't as good as the AC60G's. I'll get some AC60G's as spares when finances allow.

Resistor bypass is done, but now my glow plug relay won't click over to heat the glow plugs. In the process of troubleshooting/cleaning and tidying up the wiring after my DUVAC removal. I'll post up some details once I get it all sorted out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94