Can anyone tell more about this $15 Toyostove craig's list find?

BiggSean

Hey everyone, I found this Toyostove on Craig's List locally for $15. There are no identifying marks on it with regards to model #, but it fires up and certainly generates quite a bit of heat.

As I understand it, these are pretty efficient heaters and are sought after.

Any information with regards to model #, history and just general operation would be greatly appreciated. What is the best fuel to run? White fuel or kerosene?

I purchased this, thinking I couldn't go wrong for $15, and that it would come in handy to heat up my canvas tents on cold winter trips.

CCuluvIl.jpg

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
Look up: miles stair's wick shop. He has a wide selection of wicks and is very knowledgeable about kerosene appliances. Some historical articles, too.

I have bought stuff from him over the last 6 to 8 years. Always good stuff!

Hope this helps

frgtwn

Adventurer
This looks like a kerosene stove. If so, make sure you never, ever use white gas. Gasoline burns much faster, and if used here could cause a problem you do not want.

Dale

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Yup, that looks like a standard Kero heater. We used those in our TOC (Tactical Operations Center) during winter exercises in Korea. Always kept a pot of water on top for coffee/tea/soup.

Warm but use in a well ventilated area (anyone who's ever worked out of an M577 Command Post vehicle knows they are "well ventilated." Maybe a little TOO well ventilated!)

My biggest objection to something like that for camping is where do you carry it? Kerosene is nasty smelly stuff. Make sure you carry it in an open bed or some other area you don't have to be in. I would never have any Kero appliance stored in a closed vehicle or a closed area I also had to sleep in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne