M116A3 Trailer Build Takeover

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
We have the sinks, stoves and kitchens at Turtleback Trailers

Dave,

I think it's great that you've helped others with their builds when this is actually your business to sell trailers. I'd love to be part of the "herd" but financially just can't swing that.

I actually just started my own project on a M116A2 (glad I found this thread) but Friday morning while I was getting it hooked up to take to the sandblasted I tripped and broke my kneecap. This is now added to my other limitations of multiple sclerosis. Any way, I'm 8-12 weeks out from being able to walk let alone work on the trailer. Looks like I'll be ground tenting the Oct Big Bend trip.

plains2hills

What an awesome trailer! Great work. Are your access doors prefab, or did you have to make those on your own? I've been trying to find a resource for prefab doors like those with no luck

1Louder

Explorer
What an awesome trailer! Great work. Are your access doors prefab, or did you have to make those on your own? I've been trying to find a resource for prefab doors like those with no luck

Doors were from Turtleback Trailers. If you are willing to build your design around the doors I encourage anyone to buy them. They are built to last but TB only sells what they make for its trailers. No custom sizes.

The one MAJOR recommendation out of this is for your doors see if you can make aluminum frames. Then hang the doors in the frames and then insert the frame into the trailer you are building. My DIY 1" square tube steel frames were just not going to work. They were going to be too heavy and not seal well. Also, I way underestimated the man hours required to do a project like this. When you look at trailers for sale and think "Hey I can do it cheaper" that is only true if you have the time and skills available to build it. Many do and many don't. I was lucky and have many skilled friends who were willing to help. I am guessing there are at least 300 man hours into this build. It's probably more. I gave up tracking it.

OMG I so wish I wish I saw this before I got way into making my doors and seals ...... lol AWESOME JOB on your trailer BTW and I have to admit Turtleback Trailer guys are awesome to work with and bounce ideas off of. I bought my H2O tank and filler port from them :)

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Just an FYI. Turtleback just opened up an online store. A lot of the parts I used on my trailer are now available through this site, www.expeditioninspired.com.

I also finished up my solar setup on the trailer. A controller was already a part of my basic electrical system but now I have a quick connect on the side of the trailer to use my new to be PowerFilm rollable solar panel. I'm really looking forward to testing this soon!..

20530318421_b998eb5ddc_o.jpg

20525302048_4f7a7acc7b_c.jpg

Here's the SAE RV Roof Connector. I did swap out the temporary screws with black bolts for a better look.

I also added a 2nd propane tank holder from PMA 4x4 for my grill/heater tank.

The webpage www.expeditioninspired.com doesn't seem to work, I get a blank white page.
Anyone else able to access it?

1Louder

Explorer
For now that site is no more. However, they are working on redesigning everything and may come back alive in the next couple of months. You can always go to Turtlebacktrailerscom and send a contact request to ask for items.

Glad my build thread has helped some folks because plenty of people helped me!

socallove

Observer
Hi, I'm thinking of building a trailer off the M116A3 frame with an aluminum box that will resemble the M416. May I ask how much your trailer weighs in at? I know these weigh 800lbs stock, but it looks like you added a lot of cool stuff and that beefy frame must weigh a lot.

How is your FJ cruiser handling it?
I'm going to be towing with an FJ80 on 37" tires & 4.88 gears, so I'm trying to stay as light as possible. I had a M1101 trailer with an RTT, water tank and tool box added, I think it was roughly 1700lbs. It was quite heavy for my FJ80 so I put it up for sale.

bergerob

I love these builds.
I am in the planning phase.
Where does everyone get those aluminum boxes that hang on the side?

1Louder

Explorer
I love these builds.
I am in the planning phase.
Where does everyone get those aluminum boxes that hang on the side?

They were purchased from Turtleback Trailers in Phoenix, AZ. I have seen others from places like Northern Tool (I think)

JB87

Hello, do you still have the trailer?
Really like your build and as asked before was curious at the total weight of the trailer?

thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne