Small Norcold Refrigerator, Model DE-250WAL, Assistance

Flysar

Observer
I picked up a Norcold AC-DC refrigerator, model DE-250WAL, off craigslist today and I was curious if anyone might be able to help me with the operation.

There is a standard AC 3-prong cord, AC-DC switch box, and 2 screw posts on the back (red/black).

My assumption is when the AC cord is plugged in the switch needs to be in AC mode... I plugged it in and the compressor started running.

My second assumption is the 2 posts in the back are for DC power +/- and the switch should be in the DC position... to late to test tonight but I will in the morning.

If you have a similar unit I would appreciate feedback that confirms my assumptions so I do not fry the fridge before I get a chance to use it.

It will travel on the floor of my fiberglass popup and set on either the counter or tailgate when camped.

Tag states it draws 45 amps, what size of solar panel will I need to keep up with the draw? My 1976 camper battery is not hooked up to my truck for charging.

Arclight

SAR guy
Can you post a picture of the connector in back? The Norcold I had used a pretty standard AC cord but a weird DC cord that basically required moving a little cover over so that the AC cord wouldn't it at the same time. Oh, and I think the cord also shorted two pins together to make it work on DC.

Arclight

ETA: I found my original notes on the power cord. This was for an MRFT-615.

In case anyone else has to make a cord for one of these, the pinout is kind of strange. There is a 3-pin AC connector (neutral, ground (center) and hot) and then 3 other pins, which are covered by a sliding window when you have the AC cord plugged in. For DC, you slide the cover to the right, and reuse one of the AC pins (neutral) as negative and then positive goes on the pin next to it. The two pins on the far left have to get shorted together for it to start.

I drilled a 1/2" hole in the case and added a 4-pin molex connector for DC, then put an Anderson Power Pole on it. I've talked about these before, but they are the best connector evah for 12VDC stuff. Check out the Powerwerx site for everything you need.

Last edited:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Hopefully your tag actually says 4-5amps !

which is about usual for a fridge

they normally run about 1/2 the time so you'd have 12 hours operation over 24 hours...

5X12 =60amp /hours of power required

check a solar map for your area -probably sunlight is say 6 hours/ day

60amp/hours divided by 6 hours =10 amps required per hour from the panel

Panel size ----depends on manufaturer but a 120watt panel would supply what you need per day

Now thats just a rough guide....my fridge has the travel insulated bag and we turn it off at night, as we use it as a freezer
contents are still frozen come morning.

So for me I'd only need a panel half the size.

It really comes down to efficiency of the fridge- where you store it, how often your trucks running etc etc....

Flysar

Observer
Hopefully your tag actually says 4-5amps !

You're right, it's 4.5 amps. Didn't have my reading glasses on and it also shows how little I know about electrical draw/charging.

I hooked up DC to the posts, moved the switch to DC, and the compressor kicked on; so far my assumptions were correct.

Here is a picture of the back of the fridge. It's hard to tell from the picture but the switch has AC/DC markings;

IMG_2800.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior