Gen 2.5 towing?

DD196

Observer
New here with a question. I'm looking at a couple of Gen 2.5s this weekend 400 miles away. Will want to tow or trailer it home so the boss won't have to make the drive home solo in her car if I buy one. If it looks sounds promising we'll drive the truck and rent a dolly or trailer there one-way back. Not familiar with towing something with an AT, should I disconnect the driveshaft and tie it up or can I take it out or should I go for a trailer?

Thanks
Jeff

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Typically you put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in Drive when you flat tow a Jeep. Also be sure to leave the key in to the first click so that the steering wheel is unlocked!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Typically you put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in Drive when you flat tow a Jeep. Also be sure to leave the key in to the first click so that the steering wheel is unlocked!

Except the Montero case doesn't seem to have a neutral setting.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
New here with a question. I'm looking at a couple of Gen 2.5s this weekend 400 miles away. Will want to tow or trailer it home so the boss won't have to make the drive home solo in her car if I buy one. If it looks sounds promising we'll drive the truck and rent a dolly or trailer there one-way back. Not familiar with towing something with an AT, should I disconnect the driveshaft and tie it up or can I take it out or should I go for a trailer?

Thanks
Jeff

You can either remove the drive shaft or put it on a trailer.

DD196

Observer
I'm unfamiliar with the T-case output arrangement on Monteros. Can I disconnect at the diff and slip apart at the T-case and not lose fluid? Looks like Uhaul won't let me use a trailer so it will be a dolly.

thanks
Jeff

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I'm unfamiliar with the T-case output arrangement on Monteros. Can I disconnect at the diff and slip apart at the T-case and not lose fluid? Looks like Uhaul won't let me use a trailer so it will be a dolly.

thanks
Jeff

What do you intend to tow it with?

DD196

Observer
A GMC Duramax.:mad: 6000 lb ball & mount rating. Might as well be honest about it now. Not concerned about the dolly, used them before.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
A GMC Duramax.:mad: 6000 lb ball & mount rating. Might as well be honest about it now. Not concerned about the dolly, used them before.

Check the local classifieds for someone renting out their trailer, much easier than a dolly and less sway when loaded properly.

DD196

Observer
Good advice but I'm in a small town, time is short and I don't know anyone with a car trailer. Will have to make do with what I get.

Do I strap the rear of the driveshaft up, can I take it out completely without fluid loss or what?

thanks

BOPOH

Explorer
Unless you find a trailer I wouldn't tow it on dolly, it's tall and narrow plus this time of year winds are strong. Don't recommend driving it either, 400 miles is no joke for truck that you dont know. Just ship it. i know it's more expensive, but imagine if something gonna brake you gonna spend way more money trying to fix it on the road somewhere and still have to pay for towing.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Unless you find a trailer I wouldn't tow it on dolly, it's tall and narrow plus this time of year winds are strong. Don't recommend driving it either, 400 miles is no joke for truck that you dont know. Just ship it. i know it's more expensive, but imagine if something gonna brake you gonna spend way more money trying to fix it on the road somewhere and still have to pay for towing.

Have you ever actually towed anything heavy or just spouting off assumptions?

BOPOH

Explorer
Used to drive semi and couple of times towed small trailers, other than that never pulled anything on dolly.

dorifto-san

Creeper
Dolly should be fine, just make sure to pay the extra for the insurance. You don't want to be stuck with the bill if a tire blows, or a bearing goes out while you are towing. Drop the driveshaft from the diff and raise and tuck it away as possible from anything that moves, make sure it doesn't slide out either. Take your time and you should be just fine.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I think a flat bed trailer is best, but according to the manual, lifting the front and towing it is permissable. It specifically says "The vehicle may be towed on its rear wheels for extended distances, provided that the parking brake is released. Make sure that the transmission remains in the N position"

Here is a link to the manual. You want page 00-25 (page 29 of 634)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4enmb3qtgkvr20/montero_fsm_1998_vol1_engine-trans-fuel.pdf?dl=0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke