Gen 2.5 towing?

ljense8

Adventurer
I think a flat bed trailer is best, but according to the manual, lifting the front and towing it is permissable. It specifically says "The vehicle may be towed on its rear wheels for extended distances, provided that the parking brake is released. Make sure that the transmission remains in the N position"

Here is a link to the manual. You want page 00-25 (page 29 of 634)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4enmb3qtgkvr20/montero_fsm_1998_vol1_engine-trans-fuel.pdf?dl=0
Good information in case I ever need to tow mine.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Your D-max tow rig meets all the U-haul requirements for their car hauler. If the trailer really uses a 2" ball, that means a 1" shank- they don't make draw-bar with a 1" hole that are rated higher.
If you can't pull their silly trailer with a 3/4 ton truck, what ARE you supposed to pull it with????

DD196

Observer
The hitch is rated at 7500#, the ball and ball mount both at 6000#. You have to input that in the Uhaul website reservation page. I found higher rated bars but not 2" ball.

Driving it isn't an option, not looking for an adventure getting home (with wife driving our car.) ;7(

Must be 100 car haulers. Anyone KNOW a good one?

DD196

Observer
The hunt goes on. Looked at a 99 2.5 with 112K here in OC while visiting daughter. It looked good topside but looked like it was from back east underneath. RUST. No way am I living in Arizona and wrenching on rusty nut and bolts. Not many Monteros in Az but something good will turn up.

Thanks for all the thoughts. I'll be around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz