LP bed rack and LP basket

503Tim

So I started drawing up my bed rack for my 06 double cab.. I haven't liked anything on the market and nothing has really "caught" my eye..SO to the computer I went.

As of right now it sits 10" off the bed rail and bolts directly to the bed rail slides.. Making them out of 10g steel, I may get it done out of aluminum as well. I have two different versions I have drawn up, and was wanting input from others, what they liked or thought it needed. I may make a couple to sell if someone wanted one as well. It will be 100% bolt together. The holes will be dimpled died as well for looks and strength.

So, lets here the inputs, negativity or whatever else you want to through my way lol.

Attachments

• Assy1.jpg
    Assy1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 21
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 21

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
If its bolt together, go with steel. Aluminum doesn't handle bolt together design very well. Or at the very least, make your cross members out of steel and the basket out of aluminum. Actually, just selling he cross members would be all you'd need.

How much weight are you expecting that to carry?

zscott

Adventurer
If its bolt together, go with steel. Aluminum doesn't handle bolt together design very well. Or at the very least, make your cross members out of steel and the basket out of aluminum. Actually, just selling he cross members would be all you'd need.

How much weight are you expecting that to carry?

What makes aluminum not handle bolt together design very well? Obviously it is a softer metal but if done right I don't see why it can't be successfully designed to be bolted together. Schutt industries makes nearly the entire venture trailer from aluminum that is bolted together with huck bolts. I have a roof rack on my truck that is bolt together design and am yet to have any problems with it after 9-10 months of pretty good use.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Steel bolts and aluminum don't work so well corrosion wise. Contrary to popular belief, aluminum does corrode or rust. Aluminum corrosion is white though, so its harder to spot. Having a steel bolt passing through aluminum will make it worse. You'll have white powder and pitting around any bolt holes.

Yes, it is softer, so any movement can cause the bolt holes to wallow out, if not tear and crack. Plus, its a lot more expensive and harder to work with and repair. A steel crack can be welded with relative ease, but aluminum is much harder to repair like that.

Finally, there's a limit to how much load an aluminum structure can hold, and under various conditions. Aluminum is good as a flat plate and certain structures, but you need more aluminum per lb. of load bearing capacity than you would with a steel structure.

503Tim

The rack is constructed from 10g steel, all corners are welded as well. 8 welded per upright.. the basket will be made from 1/8" aluminum and I redesigned the basket so it has no center, it will have all four sides bolt together with 1x1" extruded aluminum cross bars..

The rack will hold a RTT, Hi-Lift, couple Rotopax, shovel and that's is it for now.

503Tim

Ok, went in for a bit to finish leaning up the parts and I dimple died the second upright. As you can see in the pictures, the tube will be welded to the tabs and both the sides and top center bars will be adjustable for anyone's needs.

Attachments

• tab1.jpg
    tab1.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 13
  • tab2.jpg
    tab2.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 15
  • tab4.jpg
    tab4.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 14

503Tim

Here is the revised basket. CNC laser cut and formed from 1/8" aluminum and all four sides will bolt together with 1x1 extruded aluminum cross bars. Thoughts?

Attachments

• rack2.jpg
    rack2.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 14
  • rack1.jpg
    rack1.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 14

503Tim

Fianally Finished my LP rack!

SO I was able to finish up on my rack these last couple nights..I was able to Snap a couple quick pictures before work this morning..

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• truck1.jpg
    truck1.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 14
  • truck2.jpg
    truck2.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 18

503Tim

Love the look! Any reason you held it short of full bed-length?

I made it as long as the factory bed rail slides. I could have made it longer with the tab area that bolts to the bed, but then its not as universal.. This way it can be made for short or long bed, as well as either upright can be in the front or the rear..:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier