modern diesel for overlanding in developing countries - post your solutions

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
So with regards to a modern diesel, would the issue solved by simply removing the DPF and related sensors?

In theory, if your ECU will support all those items missing...also there may be legal ramifications to bypassing emissions control systems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sg1

Adventurer
Yes you can. I have done it. If you ship to the US by container or RoRo you need a letter from EPA giving you a temporary exemption from the emissions rules. Your shipping agent should know the details. If you arrive by land from Canada or Mexico we were not asked for such a letter.

Pollowake

Yes you can. I have done it. If you ship to the US by container or RoRo you need a letter from EPA giving you a temporary exemption from the emissions rules. Your shipping agent should know the details. If you arrive by land from Canada or Mexico we were not asked for such a letter.

Gracias !!!!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

4x4tripping

Adventurer
Good question, I have no clue.

I did cross africa with an Landcruiser V8 Diesel based on Euro4. I did read severall travelblogs where the travellers got stranded with euro5...

It is possible for mercedes to migrate the car from Euro 5/6 to euro3 for european spec - but you arent allowed to drive in europe anymore.

I did try to collect any informations about travelling with Diesel and Euro 4/5 at 2014 - with some links for a deep-dive.

Looking at the fuel quality there seems to be no reason to worry with an euro5 based car in USA/CA/Europe/Russia.. The "red" zones get smaller each year... This is the most recent map from 2018 - you can compare to the map from 2013 in the article linked above.

Euro4-euro5-euro6-diesel-worldtrip.jpg

4x4tripping

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I checked with Mercedes in USA. Two different representatives stated that "Mercedes-Benz USA does not approve or recommend any modification to the vehicle equipment." That's even with an EPA waiver. So a Bluetec-equipped Sprinter would have to be modified by a third party.

H&S Performance (link provided by Diplostrat above) is willing to remove diesel emissions equipment after the vehicle owner signs an affidavit specifying that the vehicle will be used off-highway, or out of the country. But they don't have products for Mercedes, only GM, Ram and Ford vehicles.

Euro 6, the current emissions rule package for diesels in Europe, is similar to the current diesel emissions rules for USA. It's possible that some aftermarket tuner in Europe has a solution. If you know of any, please post up.

(The Huss Group equipment linked by nick disjunct is an aftermarket solution to add a diesel particulate filter to a truck that doesn't have one. Their equipment is approced by the California Air Resources Board, among other groups. But this gear won't help remove Bluetec equipment from a current Sprinter.)
North America Mercedes is exceptionally strict about Sprinter modifications. Just ask any RV builder. Most RV shops will tell you they really dislike Mercedes especially the super limiting requirements they must follow with the sprinter chassis. Any of the Van life conversions that have drilled frame members to mount various components would get slapped by Mercedes NorthAmerica.

billiebob

After reading thru this thread I'd be looking for a 20 years old 5.9 Cummins Dodge or Ford Powerstroke 7.3. The legal ramifications of driving a modified modern diesel are far too costly to risk in a foriegn country.
OR I'd be looking for a modern gasoline powered vehicle.

Lovetheworld

Asia is not so easy with a modern diesel. Yes it can be done but there are risks. Russia is not a problem.
But in Iran the fuel is of low quality. In Uzbekistan there is little to no diesel sold, and you sometimes get it from a jerrycan or some big stationary tank, hoping that it is something good.

Having done a southern route and a northern route, I can say that it is definitely easier to find petrol than diesel, and that the diesel quality may be to low for Euro 5 and 6.
Whenever you get into an area where there is very little population and fuel is slightly harder to find, diesel is the first to have gone missing. Because the locals usually have some old petrol Hyundai, and the diesels are usually long range trucks.

Also, people liked diesel for what it was in the 80s and the 90s and beginning of the century. Simple reliable engines.
However, they have become so complicated that a petrol engine is more simple.

Lovetheworld

Yeah that seems to work like that.

The thing is with a Euro 5 or Euro 6, which isn't modified, you have a risk of running into errors. So you will have a light on your dashboard, engine will go slow, and you need to reset it.
This is all exactly the opposite of what you wanted from a diesel engine. The simplicity and reliability have gone out of the window.

For Asia and Middle East a car that can run on 92 Octane (as in European 92 octane number) or better will get you everywhere.
Even if the range is only like 400km. And lets be honest, most standard diesel 4x4s won't do much better. (this is of course different for a normal car)
Seeing octane 80 is already very rare, but is sometimes still offered, next to 92 or 95.

tacr2man

Adventurer
The prob that is growing with running lower spec diesels to use low grade fuel is the countries that are increasingly bringing in built up area (city) emission zones that mean you risk fines , some quite high if you enter the zone with a non compliant vehicle .

Lovetheworld

Where the diesel is so bad you need a lower spec, there are no emission zones.
Back home (for example in Europe) and wanting to use it locally, you may need to change it again to make it compliant with local emission rules.

Just make it compatible for lower grade fuel for your trip.
You cannot have it all at the same time. Or use a petrol engine which consumes more.
I guess something on petrol and CNG (not LPG) would be quite nice since it is available in quite some countries, and otherwise you drive on petrol.
Of course this is a bit more specific to which area you will visit.

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
Companies like Malone tuning (https://malonetuning.com/) will make a custom ECU for most modern diesels with the emissions equipment disabled. I think the thing to do is to buy a second used ECU, get it chipped for emissions removal, and install it along with bypass pipes for the DFP and catalytic converter just for the duration of the trip that goes into high sulfur diesel areas. You can then swap these parts back in once you return to ULSD regions. This is obviously a huge pain and expense, but a pretty straightforward process overall.

There’s arguments both ways. In 1993 we rented a FJ60 “set up for camping” with a roof tent in Pretoria. The engine was missing the entire time, either a carb or distributor problem. Obviously I had no tools or parts. A Toyota dealer in Swakopmund replaced some stuff, no joy. We went to some semi remote places in northern Namibia despite that but it had crappy fuel range.
One night we were the only campers at Third Bridge in the Okavango delta. Lions were roaring all night, I had to trudge to the outhouse x3 because I had the runs. The next am there was a very cute family of the cats in question ~1km from the campground, laying by the side of the road.
This fall I’m taking my U500 camper; RT shipping cost breaks even with Landcruiser rental at 80 days (2 x 6 week trips). I have at least 1 friend and 2 daughters who want to see Africa, so maybe 3 trips before returning the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles