Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: modern diesel for overlanding in developing countries - post your solutions

Source a locking fuel cap if you can.

Diesel Fuel Quality Hydrometer

Water and dirt in diesel fuel is an easy fix. Start with a Mr Funnel.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5exQCUaBc7I

Cross contamination with other fluids is a totally different issue that very few people ever talk about.

Last edited by dlh62c; 06-26-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
    It boils down to having trust in your fuel source. The locals should know.
    Which is impossible for actual overlanders because you are always on the move..

Quote Originally Posted by thepinproject View Post
    Which is impossible for actual overlanders because you are always on the move..
    Then you need to slow down, locals are a great resource regarding many things.

I was was parked up in Mainland Mexico and inquired about the closest place to source diesel. An expat told me not to go to the station down the street as it had just rained. The station site has water drainage issues which lead to water getting into their fuel tanks. Locals, local expats and a shop knew about it.
    Last edited by LoupGarou; 06-30-2017 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
    Looks like a great bit of kit, I added it to my Amazon wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by LoupGarou View Post
    Then you need to slow down, locals are a great resource regarding many things.

I was was parked up in Mainland Mexico and inquired about the closest place to source diesel. An expat told me not to go to the station down the street as it had just rained. The station site has water drainage issues which lead to water getting into their fuel tanks. Locals, local expats and a shop knew about it.
    We travel slow in any case (65 km per day AVG or 103.800 kms in 1586 days). The problem is that not everybody is aware of everything and to find the right person for the right piece of information is not always easy.

We do spend time in places and locals are a great source of information BUT when it comes to fuel quality & constant refill, you need more & better advice (and solutions) of where the fuel is not contaminated, etc!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456