Introduce my self and my build up story - MAN TGM 13.240 4x4 Offroad Truck

ScottReb

Adventurer
They're both great resources. It will make you jealous with all the options they have in Europe though. Google translate works pretty well with both of those.

sg1

Adventurer
Hi Martin,
great decision. 5 years ago at Christmas I was at a very similar point in my life except I was already 55 years. I quit my job, kept a few board seats, did some consulting. 1 year later, my overland vehicle was ready for the first trip. Now, I have no board seats anymore and no consulting jobs, the world is too interesting and there is so much to do and to see that I have no time for other jobs. Looking back I never regretted my decision for one minute and my wife and I thoroughly enjoy our new life as gypsies. Have fun. The only problem will be to get back to "normal" life if you ever decide to pick up your career again.
But now let us see your build.
Regards Stefan

GermanTurtle

Observer
Need some days. I'm preparing for my boat license exam this friday. So i have to concentrate on this first. But then I will put pics and story here.

Martin

GermanTurtle

Observer
I will show you all the pics of the build up process, but today I would like to show you the truck as it looks today.

Today it solved the technical registration completely without any fails. The storage boxes are finished, the rear bumper (movable) is installed, the truck got a complete MAN service (change of all liquids), it is equipped with a heatable diesel pre-filter with water separation (Separ) got some more new interior parts.

The storage Boxes are made of 4mm aluminium. The racks for them are made of steal. The boxes are completely water-proof sealed, and will get some pressure valves to be pressurized for water passings.

What do you think: Should i paint the boxes black or polish them and coat them clear?

Turtle_2014_111.jpg
Turtle_2014_112.jpg
Turtle_2014_113.jpg
Turtle_2014_114.jpg
Turtle_2014_115.jpg
Turtle_2014_116.jpg
Turtle_2014_117.jpg

Enrytre

Bye Enrico
" Later when I was back at home I was very angry about his slavery way of management. And i decided to change something. "

Congratulations for your courage not know how much I understand ..... I am also now a slave of "God" Budget and international management does not understand that Italy is in deep crisis and you can not do the same sales in past golden years

really compliments for your Man is beautiful and with excellent mechanical wish you wonderful experiences with it to quench your thirst for freedom.

this is what I'm building
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...Iveco-Eurocargo-95e21ws-(from-Nord-Est-Italy)

Bye Enrico

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Many years I was dreaming already about buying an Offroad RV, but i always thought it will come true when i will be retired. But why waiting another 25 years? Do i get any guaranty to be healthy and able to do so then? No.

My favorite aunt got cancer, my dad got cancer, a friend of mine also. All before they got retired.

Martin

Life is too short to spend it all working. My partner started relaxing a bit at 52. He was dead by 53. I made a decision then I wasn't going to make the same mistake. I started making arrangements within my company, ended up remarried at 42 and when my first daughter was born at 43 I called it quits. I've heard my kids first words and seen their first steps, without having to hear about it when I got home from work. I'm there when they leave for school and there when they get home. I pretty much do what I want, when I want, and where I (we) want, within reason, and I'm good with that.

There's no such thing as stress free living, but I'd rather be a bit stressed at home or on the road than stressed out working. :)

GermanTurtle

Observer
The last days i couldn't do anything on the truck, because of the examine for the boat license. I solved that yesterday, so today i came back to the garage and me and my buddy Dennis adjusted the roof carrier. The one that was build by ProCAB was not fitting to the car (so my opinion).

It was a 4 hours job and i think it was more than worth to do the work. It has to be painted. But it fits well and is looking great.

Martin

Turtle_2014_06_06_10.jpg
Turtle_2014_06_06_11.jpg
Turtle_2014_06_06_12.jpg
Turtle_2014_06_06_13.jpg
Turtle_2014_06_06_14.jpg
Turtle_2014_06_06_15.jpg
Turtle_2014_06_06_01.jpg
Turtle_2014_06_06_06.jpg

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Looks like a great start to the project!

With the storage boxes I would paint them black or grey to match the underside of the truck. Clear coated would be neat, just catches attention easily (possible break in concerns).

Looking forward to your progress.

GermanTurtle

Observer
Sorry for my long abstinence, but first I ha d a lot of year end stress in my company and on the morning of the 24. th dec. i really got a christmas nightmare.

The day before i went to work with the truck, because i needed to buy some length of steel and alu for the construction of the storage level in my cabin. So i took the truck home and wanted to bring it back to the garage which is about a mile from my home.

I have just driven some hundred meters when i came to a red light. While i was rolling to the crossing the lights switched back to green an i put in the gear again and accelerated. 10 Meters before i reached the crossing. A small truck decided to drive into the crossing. No chance to break.

The result:

Unfall_Turtle_1.jpg
Unfall_Turtle_2.jpg
Unfall_Turtle_3.jpg
Unfall_Turtle_4.jpg
Unfall_Turtle_5.jpg
Unfall_Turtle_6.jpg
Unfall_Turtle_7.jpg
Unfall_Turtle_8.jpg
Unfall_Turtle_9.jpg

That was in my had all the christmas days

GermanTurtle

Observer
Neither me nor the other driver got any injures. Maybe some angels were allready flying around.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

Timod110

Observer
It looks bad but could be waaaaay worse. If you dont have broken ankles, wrist, back, collarbone. Or sounds like really no injuries then I would see this as a good thing

Its just and exercise in patience

Cheers

Tim

Enrytre

Bye Enrico
Hello Martin, I am very sorry for this ugly and expensive Christmas gift I hope that insurance will repay you for everything and I'm happy that no one was hurt ...

Bye Enrico

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94