Looking for a new truck

bstock1

I have a 05 duramax and love it but if I was buying a new truck I would really give the dodge power wagon a look. Especially if you are replacing a jeep. I think it would cover all your bases. Although the fuel mileage isn't anything to write home about.

Arclight

SAR guy
Thanks for all of the ideas and suggestions so far! Really been leaning towards a new/used ecoboost f150, tundra, f250 diesel or 2500 diesel. The camper will be a very small unit (haven't chosen one yet), smallest I can fit in the truck. Like I said, just me and the wife. I've also considered a flat bed. And the combined weight of our horse and trailer is only 3600 lbs. Is the diesel the best option for me? I've never owned a large truck and have always had small cars before my Jeep, last car was a 600hp lancer evolution. Cost isn't a huge factor, but reliability is. Used would be nice, but I wouldn't mind buying new if it means more reliability. I get major discounts on Ford and Chrysler. I also work on cars for a living, so don't mind fixing things and I do carry parts/tools. I was dead set on a Ford Raptor until I tried to find one new under 70k...

Thanks again!

You might want to look at the Flippac or 4-Wheel Camper for your needs. I have a Flippac on my Toyota T100 and I love it. If this truck got wrecked, I would probably look for a Gen-1 (2006 and before) Tundra with a V8. This is a nice combination of space, towing capacity and mobility, It's not as nimble as your Jeep, But keeping the weight down with a Flippac or stripped-down 4WC will make it perform well off-road.

Arclight

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Where I come from, we call those eye-balls. :Wow1:

Seriously, if you need that much fancy gadgetry on a truck to feel safe driving it, you probably shouldn't be driving a truck at all. Just my opinion. Its just more junk that can break and fail on you, and more money spent on repairing stuff you really don't need. And besides, I feel that "automatic safety measures" like that collision avoidance stuff makes for lazy, and more dangerous, drivers. Just drive smart and you won't need to avoid any accidents that system would theoretically stop.

First rule of living. You're gonna get hurt. Get over it.
I'm just referring to the law of physics,where an overloaded truck isn't going to stop or handle like one operated within it's design parameters. Nothing fancy.

incognito

Adventurer
hy,

find yourself a clean low miles duramax with allison pre 2007 pdf sierra dually . makes 500 hp only with a tuner , aftermarket intake and aftermarket exhaust. dually if you want a hard side camper srw if you want a pop-up
or a cummins but you need transmission rebuilt sooner or later and new hd steering box
other than that if not abused are very reliable. and gets decent mpg. my cummins dually takes 13L/100 kms empty and 19L/100kms with the bigfoot camper and service box. camper with amenities toilet shower double fridge and wife started to like even remote camping
hope this helps
inconito
http://globalcamper.blogspot.ca/p/4x4-dodge-ram-camper.html

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94