1/2 ton trucks with 7700 GVWR

Ben7982

Observer
Hello from Germany,

I´m looking for a 1/2 ton truck with max. 7700lbs GVWR and a payload of at least 2500lbs to carry a truck camper plus equipment.

Until now, I´ve only found the 1997 - 2003 F150 with the extra payload package 7700.

Are there any alternatives on the U.S. market?

Thanks for your help

Ben

Kaisen

Explorer
That's the only one, and they later called the exact same truck a light-duty 3/4 ton (F250)

Why not a 3/4 ton? Is there a tax consequence there or something?

Ben7982

Observer
Nop, can´t drive more than 7700lbs or 3.5 ton with my blood german drivers license. So thats the limit...

Well thanks anyway.

Hard to find that car in CA bay area...so I was hoping that there is another truck I can chase.

Cheers Ben

Kaisen

Explorer
Sure, chase any *light duty* 3/4 ton.... Chevrolet 1500HD or 2500 (without the 2500HD), or the later Ford F250 that looked exactly the same as that F150 7700 (7 lugs are the giveaway).

Essentially they were heavy duty 3/4 without the full floating rear ends and spring rates that kept them from being 8600 GVWR

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Sure, chase any *light duty* 3/4 ton.... Chevrolet 1500HD or 2500 (without the 2500HD), or the later Ford F250 that looked exactly the same as that F150 7700 (7 lugs are the giveaway).

Essentially they were heavy duty 3/4 without the full floating rear ends and spring rates that kept them from being 8600 GVWR

^ what he said
My Uncle just bought a Chevy 1500 but it has the 3/4ton axle and wheel lug pattern I think Kaisen is right that there are some 1500's built heavy with 3/4 ton running gear.

Kaisen

Explorer
I assumed he wasn't looking for new trucks (based on looking at 15 year old trucks)

In addition to the not-yet-available new aluminum F150, the 2014/2015 Chevrolet/GMC 1500 would have a 7,200 lb GVWR, and 2,210 lb payload with a 5.3L V8 4x4 and the NHT Max Trailering package.

Kaisen

Explorer
The new 2015 Ford F150 have 7,600 GVWR and a 7,850 GVWR versions that have payload ratings over 2,500 lb

Ben7982

Observer
I´m looking for a truck not older than 15 years and under $ 10k. So the F150 7700 is basicly what I want, but I can´t find any good trucks in the bay area +200 miles.
The only one is this one here and it has a (oil) sweating rear axle, which indicates a minor crack and therefore a hard life of the truck. It has an brake controler and flex-fuel (tank on the bed) which is telling me it was used for heavy towing.
The last owner drove 100000 miles within about 3 years.

http://www.carsforsale.com/used-cars-for-sale/2000-ford-f150-riolinda-ca-230749185

There are two more in San Diego but they have 150000 and 180000 miles on the clock...

I´m now thinking of getting the license for 7.5t trucks in Germany but it costs € 3000 +.

I couldn´t find any specs of the trucks above with less than 7700 lbs. They all have GVWR more than 7700lbs and therefore not an option.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I´m looking for a truck not older than 15 years and under $ 10k. So the F150 7700 is basicly what I want, but I can´t find any good trucks in the bay area +200 miles.
The only one is this one here and it has a (oil) sweating rear axle, which indicates a minor crack and therefore a hard life of the truck. It has an brake controler and flex-fuel (tank on the bed) which is telling me it was used for heavy towing.

http://www.carsforsale.com/used-cars-for-sale/2000-ford-f150-riolinda-ca-230749185

There are two more in San Diego but they have 150000 and 180000 miles on the clock...

I´m now thinking of getting the license for 7.5t trucks in Germany but it costs € 3000 +.

I couldn´t find any specs of the trucks above with less than 7700 lbs. They all have GVWR more than 7700lbs and therefore not an option.

Ben I live in the Bay Area
I have bought several used cars over the past couple of years both for me and various elder family members. Some suggestions stick with Search tempest set your mileage range and search private seller only adds via Craigs list. I have many reasons for this approach and can explain if you like but I'll need more time to write it up.

Bay Area vs full size pickups is a funny market. I would look in Sacramento or expand the coverage to Oregon and Washington State. They build over 200,000 of these things a year as a result when your shopping for a used one you have every reason to be picky as all heck and wait till the perfect ride surfaces and don't limit your search to just local stuff. My uncle just picked up a mint condition original owner 2000 Chevy Z1 1500 with the 3/4 ton running gear 100% stock not kidding with 40,000 miles on it in Oregon. Grandpas truck and he passed away family sold it to my uncle for $5000. Interior even smells new! It has since done a couple of trips from CA to Montana and back with a pop up camper on it. Great truck!!!

My uncle had a very good point regarding this truck search. He bought his first ever new car in 2012 a Toyota Tundra his retirement gift to him self. However he was not impressed with the mileage 16mpg with his 4wheeler in the bed. He didn't like all that money tied up in the truck. So when he spotted the Z1 he jumped on it, sold the Tundra and took a $2000 hair cut on it.

Bay Area full size trucks all seem to have an odd history unless you can find a fairly priced original city slicker owner that just wants out of it most of the trucks all seem to have some odd history, illegal shipping ie folks who haul stuff commercially without a commercial license etc those trucks look super clean but have crazy insane # of miles on them for their age. Odometer roll back is a big issue also!! I always call the local auto dealer with the vin and ask the service dept about records and mileage points to get a rough idea if the mileage shown is proper. Digital odometers are easily modified and has become a really big issue in the bay area.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Center your search on Fresno thru Bakersfield, certain to be something in your desired config in the San Joaquin valley.

Kaisen

Explorer

Are you looking for 2WD or 4x4?
Regular Cab or Supercab?

Many of the Ford F150 7700GVWR in California were CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) bi-fuel and that's the second tank in the bed... not for towing. Are you open to that?

BADDANDY

Adventurer
That's the only one, and they later called the exact same truck a light-duty 3/4 ton (F250)

You have it backwards, 97-99 they were called F-250 LDs. 2000-03 they were called F-150s with the 7700 payload package. You can spot the difference by the front bumper, scooped vs rounded. But yes, basically an F-150 body sitting on an F-250 chassis. I ordered an 01 4x4 in 2000 which I had for 13 years with a 1,700lb Angler B on it most of it's life while either towing a dirtbike or pulling my Jeep. 3.73 axle ratio and 350lb feet of torque at only 2,500 rpm meant climbing most mountains in overdrive! These trucks were also at least 600 lbs lighter than 04-14s.
Man, I loved that truck, but didn't need/use it anymore so off it went still looking and running like brand new.

DSCF2763.jpg

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Part of your problem is you're looking in California, aka, the land of stupid car laws. Don't get me wrong, I get why they needed the yearly exhaust test, but the laws regarding modifications are clearly outdated.

Have you considered going a generation older, with the 80'-96' F-series, often referred to as OBS (Old Body Style)? Honestly, the mileage is about the same as what you're already looking for, but they seem to be much tougher and easier to modify/upgrade. You'll probably want an F250, but you can throw F350 leaf springs in the back for greater payload if you want, especially with a camper on the back. I'd say your ideal engine/transmission combo would be a 460 engine with a M5OD transmission behind it. If you're lucky, you may even find a diesel, unless those are illegal in CA. The other benefit of that generation is the lack of sensitive electronics to foul up. The later models did have some, but its also been designed to keep running under most failure conditions. They're reliable, tough and very easy to work on, with parts available just about anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz