Project "Danger Ranger"

livetoride21

Adventurer
There is a roll call thread on here for Rangers. I have had my 2006 for about 4 yrs now and have loved every bit of it. Haven't done much for suspension other than helper springs and a torsion bar crank. I'm running 31" Firestone Destination A/T's. Great tire for a DD and camping rig. I would agree with the above post, it is difficult to find aftermarket parts but they are out there. I happen to have the RCI front skid and intend to get the additional skid. I don't have a platform, I utilize a cot set up.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Great setup, and great looking truck!
I just made my first large order the other day, even though I'll only be able to start working on her for the most part in the spring.
Decided on Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX 265/75 r16, (32" overall diameter x 10.5 according to coopers website), ordered 4 for now, going to order a spare once I've made my tire carrier.
Also ordered Rancho RS5000 shocks all around, 1-2" lift shackles ( will be cranking the torsion bars 1-1.5"), and some misc maintenance parts.
Decided I will keep the stock wheels and see how it rides before spending the extra money on some aftermarket rims.
Next on the list to order are my CB radio/antenna and components for the 1" body lift I plan to do . Just enough to get a little more clearance.
As soon as I'm legally allowed summer tires on (march 15th) the truck will transform very quickly. Tires, lift, cb, shocks, will go on all over the span of a few days than I will start building bumpers.
I'm hoping to start my sleeping platform in the next week or two, as I may be getting some free plymetal from my work. 3/8" douglass fir plywood, with .030 aluminum back, and .040 aluminum melamine face. very strong, and reasonably light weight.

Subbing to see where you go with this :coffeedrink:
There won't be a lot going on in the next couple months, mostly receiving parts. But please keep stopping by! Once I get going, its going to be a mad dash :D

Thanks for the comments everyone!

32vsnake

Adventurer
Great setup, and great looking truck!
I just made my first large order the other day, even though I'll only be able to start working on her for the most part in the spring.
Decided on Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX 265/75 r16, (32" overall diameter x 10.5 according to coopers website), ordered 4 for now, going to order a spare once I've made my tire carrier.
Also ordered Rancho RS5000 shocks all around, 1-2" lift shackles ( will be cranking the torsion bars 1-1.5"), and some misc maintenance parts.
Decided I will keep the stock wheels and see how it rides before spending the extra money on some aftermarket rims.
Next on the list to order are my CB radio/antenna and components for the 1" body lift I plan to do . Just enough to get a little more clearance.

I run the st/maxx in 235/85r16 on my 08 ranger and love them.. they have been a great all around tire for the truck

livetoride21

Adventurer
Small update, picked up my tires and shocks the other day, 4 Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX 265/75/R16, and 4 Rancho RS5000 shocks. Can't wait to put them on!
20141223_234517.jpg20141227_150754.jpg20141227_165735.jpg
Christmas was also good to me this year, my girlfriend bought me a Hi-Lift extreme, that will reside in my truck once she's expedition ready :D
20141225_141228.jpg
I also ordered my CB radio yesterday; a Uniden 520xl , now just have-to decide on my antenna.

livetoride21

Adventurer
Received my Cb radio, now just haveto wait for me antenna kit to arrive (firestik 2 4') and I will be able to install :D
I also picked up the material for my simple sleeping platform, so hopefully I will have the chance to build my platform this week. (not that I need it yet )
20141229_171100.jpg

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Explorer
^^

Excellent radio choice.
icon14.png

As for antennas... I've sworn forever by the Francis CB-26 5.5-foot whips. They are light in weight, yet put out a better signal than anything short of a 102" whip.

livetoride21

Adventurer
^^

Excellent radio choice.
icon14.png

As for antennas... I've sworn forever by the Francis CB-26 5.5-foot whips. They are light in weight, yet put out a better signal than anything short of a 102" whip.

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to try the 4 foot firestik with a 3" spring, and see how it works out, if I ever have any problems I'll haveto check out the Francis.

Can't wait to get this build started!

livetoride21

Adventurer
Started on my sleeping platform today, got all the pieces cut, and ready to screw together. This will be a very simple platform, with no vertical supports. The platform material will sit on top of pine 1x2 running lengthwise, which sit on edges of the bed topper. The material I'm using about 3/8" thick, douglas fir plywood core with aluminum one side, and melaminium the other side. Very strong, and not prohibitively heavy, most important of all, it was free ha!
P1011278.JPG
P1011279.JPG

I'm building it this way for two reasons ;
1. I Want to be able to remove the whole thing relatively easily
2. I want to be able to fit a cooler underneath, as well as all camping gear, I don't want a roof rack or roof box.

livetoride21

Adventurer
Got a lot done today, spent the majority of the day today working on my sleeping platform and it is about 95% done. I would've been done much earlier, had my drill batteries not ran out.
This was about half way through the day where I was 80% done. the other 15% took around 3 hours because I had to work with a corded drill, run around to get some random materials, and screw everything else in by hand.
P1021286.JPG
P1021282.JPG
P1021283.JPG
This was at the end of the day;
P1021287.JPG
P1021289.JPG
P1021291.JPG
P1021296.JPG
As you can see, its a fairly simple setup, to allow for a ton of storage space at the cost of a little headroom and a little rigidity. It is high enough that I can use most standard rubbermaid / plano containers, and will be able to fit my cooler underneath.
However, even with it being a simple design, it took a lot of thought in order to execute correctly, to keep it strong, and removable.
It was really a lesson of fitting a square peg in a round hole, due to the fact that the sides of the topper taper in so much.
So much so that there is actually an order in which to install everything, otherwise it will not fit.
All that I have left to do is add some velcro to keep things from sliding around, otherwise it's done. The whole assembly can be removed in about 10 minutes so the truck can be used, as well, a truck.
So far I'm happy with how it turned it, it is not perfect, but it will serve its purpose very well!

RangerXLT

Adventurer
Wow that raised shell makes me feel like I sleep in a friggin box! Platform looks great. Maybe I missed but what are you running as far as rear suspension?

livetoride21

Adventurer
Wow that raised shell makes me feel like I sleep in a friggin box! Platform looks great. Maybe I missed but what are you running as far as rear suspension?

Haha! Thanks, I usedto hate the look of high toppers, but this one with the windows that open, and being colour matched really won me over.
I'm currently running stock suspension, but will be running 2" shackle lift with Rancho RS5000 shocks.

RangerXLT

Adventurer
Yeah I'd like a raised shell but I'm holding out for a wildernest. I only asked because I can't decide what to do, put helper springs on but I'm not satisfied.

livetoride21

Adventurer
Yeah I'd like a raised shell but I'm holding out for a wildernest. I only asked because I can't decide what to do, put helper springs on but I'm not satisfied.

Well depending on what kind of driving you do with your truck, you really only have a few options;
1. Add preloadable air shocks ( will add a little pay load capacity when you need it, and will not lose any flex.
2. Get stiffer leaf springs, like those offered by Deaver (unloaded ride will suffer greatly)
3. install helper air bags ( loses some flex but is almost infinitely adjustable)

All of which would work well, but if you do a lot of off camber flexed driving, air bags may not be the best choice.
If I were to increase my pay load a lot, I would probably go with a little stiffer leaf, and add air shocks .
My dad had a 1980 parisienne brome that used-to tow a 21 foot house trailer, and that's all that was done to it, air shocks in back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94