Superlift TruSpeed Speed Sensor Recalibrator

gwittman

Adventurer
I am considering buying a Superlift TruSpeed Speed Sensor Recalibrator to correct my speedometer/odometer after installing taller tires and different differential gears. I have an old tuner that has programs that can't be modified and this unit looks like the best way to go for me. This Superlift TruSpeed has two settings that can be switched back and forth after calibrating them. I use two different size sets of tires depending on if I am running on pavement or going off-road. That makes this unit very desirable for me.

I have done some research on it and have not found any truly bad reports on it and some good reports. Does anyone have first hand knowledge on the durability and use of this Superlift TruSpeed Speed Sensor Recalibrator? Also does anyone have a good source that is not so expensive? The sources I have found so far are more than I would like to pay just to have the speedometer/odometer calibrated. I may have to just go for it if I can't find it less expensive.

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
30K miles on mine now without an issue. I'm running BFG KM2 255-85R16 tires on stock TRD wheels. When I installed the TruSpeed I calibrated it using the simple interface on my laptop just by using the tire size. Once I installed it I checked via GPS and it was still a bit off. I just did some calculations and recalibrate the unit. Since then, dead on within 1 MPH when checked via GPS. I can't speak about using the second tire size setting as I never used it. My miles have been 90% pavement and 10% desert roads, no issues so far.

rambrush

Adventurer
Mine has been on for about 6 years now. It was a easy cure and stuff it under the dash and forget bout it. Calibrated mine with a GPS unit.
I give it a thumbs up..

gwittman

Adventurer
Good to hear about more good experiences with the TruSpeed. I have heard of them being installed in the engine compartment and in the cab. I think in the cab would be a better environment for it. I plan to calibrate with GPS also.

Now I need to decide if I should go ahead and pay the big dollars or keep looking for a better deal.

Thanks for the information.

1stDeuce

Explorer
IIRC, Dakota Digital makes a similar unit. If you're mounting it inside, theirs might work well too. You may want to GTS for yourself... :)

gwittman

Adventurer
I am aware of the Dakota Digital calibrator. The price is certainly more attractive. Their calibration adjustment is a little more complex and they don't have two settings that can be switched back and forth without having to recalibrate. Since I tend to change my tire stes back and forth several time each year, the Superlift TruSpeed Speed Sensor Recalibrator is more practical for me. I just have to get over paying more than double the price.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
My TruSpeed has been going strong for 120,000 miles or so (6 or 7 years now). It's behind my glovebox. I rarely change tire size but if I need to recalibrate it only takes a minute to remove the door and the HVAC tube to reach it. I left the wiring long so I can sit it on the console for adjustments.

gwittman

Adventurer
That is the most mileage and time I have come across on the TruSpeed. That is very good to know. Thanks.

gwittman

Adventurer
After researching this product and finding it is very reliable, I now find out Superlift stopped selling them. Their supplier couldn't keep up with the demand so they just dropped it. I wish I had a product that was so successful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles