M1079 Camper

ohiobenz

I just purchased an M1079 with 3600 mi. In the process of getting the mechanics sorted out - missing driver door latch etc, bent cylinder for spare tire unloader, loose stuff in the dash etc.
Purchased non-running on a GSA, all it took was 4 new batteries and it fired up fine.
I would love input on making the 7.5 x 12' space into a livable environment.... floor plan recommendations etc.
TIA!

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
My Mercedes is full time 4x4, 13mpg. At that size and weight I don't think it makes any difference. That is a great base truck at a great price.

Pretty much the same thing on my 1017AF that is 4x2 when in 'road' selection (4x4 is engaged in low range only). 10.7 to 13.4 mpg on a 1300 mile trip recently (62 mph average). I have AVM selectable hubs to install to see if that helps any with mileage.

Roverchef

Adventurer
I just finished a MOG ambulance box for a client cause he didn't want a composite box. PM me a phone # and I'll text ya some pics's of the interior.
I just purchased an M1079 with 3600 mi. In the process of getting the mechanics sorted out - missing driver door latch etc, bent cylinder for spare tire unloader, loose stuff in the dash etc.
Purchased non-running on a GSA, all it took was 4 new batteries and it fired up fine.
I would love input on making the 7.5 x 12' space into a livable environment.... floor plan recommendations etc.
TIA!

Nomad_Travels

I have heard they are good for 6 MPG? Is this because they are full time 4x4 only? Does anyone know if they have a transfercase that that can be shifted to 2WD? Does anyone know if the Cat 6.6 can be tuned for better mileage also?

Friend down in FL just finished his build and he was averaging 10.8 MPG on his first trip, 1000 mile to the Smokey Mountains.
He has a M1088A1 (6x6) CAT 3126E with high speed axles and a 330HP tune. He also replaced the HEUI pump with the new version that CAT released recently.
According to his experience, he loves the rig and extremely easy to drive, his wife drove it for a couple of hours with no issues.

I am gonna follow his footsteps and do the same. Will be buying one in July and hopefully have it ready by next spring.

Hope this is still available in June:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/M1087-AAR-...ash=item3f973dc53d:g:XpAAAOSwl5tanxjZ&vxp=mtr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles