M1079 Camper

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
M1079 Camper

$_57[1].JPG

I'm not buying one (yet), but every time I see one I think about what a great project it could be...

supermoo

Observer
This looks pretty interesting. Could have a box built for the back if you weren't to try and utilize the current box. Has anyone ever driven one of these?

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Has anyone ever driven one of these?

They are not bad at all. The cab compartment is pretty Spartan, but still ergonomic, especially compared to the older M900 series trucks. The drivetrain is a Cat motor with an Allison transmission, so parts shouldn't be hard to find. The common issue with these have been the hydraulic accessory system, prone to leaks. The trucks do drive well and, although loud, wouldn't be hard to take apart and add sound matting. After having driven these in the Army since they showed up in 2000 (I'm a truck driver as my job, so these have been my bread & butter), I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if the money & opportunity arose.

supermoo

Observer
Thanks. This seems like a pretty viable platform for a expedition truck if I can get something like a Global Expedition box on the back. Wonder if they would do something where the owner showed up a vehicle and they produced the box.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Thanks. This seems like a pretty viable platform for a expedition truck if I can get something like a Global Expedition box on the back. Wonder if they would do something where the owner showed up a vehicle and they produced the box.

The BAE SD Brazos is pretty much the same beast and GXV has done those CLICK HERE
1206-2a.jpg

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy

I believe a lot of GXV's customers provide the platform (could be completely wrong, just going on what I've heard wrt Unimogs).

Keyne

Adventurer

I think XP Camper also does box style campers for customers that bring their own vehicle. They did the EEXP popup box on a full size Dodge and their website mentions they are doing a hard sided box for a Unimog.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey

If you were to do that route, go with the M 1078. It's the same vehicle with a cargo bed (that actually is a flatbed when the sides are removed.)

Maninga

Adventurer
I think XP Camper also does box style campers for customers that bring their own vehicle. They did the EEXP popup box on a full size Dodge and their website mentions they are doing a hard sided box for a Unimog.

Yep. We were down to layout and pricing details for them to do my build, but ultimately distance was the killer for me. It's fun enough dealing with guys 2 states away, let alone 24 hours travel by plane

DynamiteJack

I have heard they are good for 6 MPG? Is this because they are full time 4x4 only? Does anyone know if they have a transfercase that that can be shifted to 2WD? Does anyone know if the Cat 6.6 can be tuned for better mileage also?

Joe917

Explorer
I have heard they are good for 6 MPG? Is this because they are full time 4x4 only? Does anyone know if they have a transfercase that that can be shifted to 2WD? Does anyone know if the Cat 6.6 can be tuned for better mileage also?

My Mercedes is full time 4x4, 13mpg. At that size and weight I don't think it makes any difference. That is a great base truck at a great price.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Yeah these LMTV / FMTV rigs range from 6 to 8 mpg. Matters which of the two axle ratios you have in them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier