Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Francis Marion National Forest SC Day Trip

Yes sir, you are correct. It is a scarlet king snake. I did not say in the original post to see who would know that it was not a coral snake. Be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingJim View Post
    Yep, now that it is warming up, we do need to be mindful. By the way, that's a king snake - "Red on Black friend of Jack, Red on Yellow, Kill a Fellow".

Would love to plan a trip since it's only a hop skip and jump from Lexington SC. You may have already said but where is the best place to get maps ?

Quote Originally Posted by 93burban View Post
    Would love to plan a trip since it's only a hop skip and jump from Lexington SC. You may have already said but where is the best place to get maps ?
    You can get maps from Walmart, Kingfisher makes good maps, SC DNR has some maps, and I use Google Earth. I locate a spot I want to visit and then review on GE to see the roads. Works fairly well...I'm terrible with directions and so far I have been able to get in and get out!

Make sure you go through Francis Marion. It is nice! Sumter National Forest is nice too! SC has a ton of places if you can just find them.
    Last edited by dmc1; 02-26-2017 at 10:32 PM. Reason: e

Thank you for the info. Trip coming up soon.

Let us know how it goes and post some pics!

Thank you for the info. Trip coming up soon.

So more than 2 years later we finally ventured that way. Stopped at the Biggin Church Ruins and then headed down 402 towards Huger SC. Once past the boundaries of Francis Marion National Forest I saw a dirt road to the left and took it. You are correct when you said you can be here for hours and not get to all the roads. Amazing . Found a couple of nice camping spots . There were several closed roads as well. We exited and headed to one of our favorite restaurants, Mike & Olies Pizza over on Isle of Palms and then home.
    A great day for sure. We will go back again

So more than 2 years later we finally ventured that way. Stopped at the Biggin Church Ruins and then headed down 402 towards Huger SC. Once past the boundaries of Francis Marion National Forest I saw a dirt road to the left and took it. You are correct when you said you can be here for hours and not get to all the roads. Amazing . Found a couple of nice camping spots . There were several closed roads as well. We exited and headed to one of our favorite restaurants, Mike & Olies Pizza over on Isle of Palms and then home.
    A great day for sure. We will go back again

Sounds great. I’ve been looking at the maps again so I can get that way again. Very nice area for sure. I’ll post up when I get back that way. Just finished a trip up to Gorges State Park area right inside the NC line off of 26 and hwy 11. You should make the trip! Excellent area!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12