Francis Marion National Forest SC Day Trip

dmc1

Adventurer
Been looking for some one day trips in SC. Been living here my entire life and have yet to see it all. After looking at Toyman's thread of his day trip through the area, this was all the inspiration I needed. The wife and I loaded up and headed out at around 7 am and got back home at around 8:30 pm on 12/04/14. Logged about 450 miles.

Traveled through the Francis Marion National Forest. Stopped at the Bonneau Ferry Wildlife Management Area. Beautiful area and had to come back out the same way we went in. The back gate was locked. Did not mind the drive at all.

Saw the ruins at the Coming Tee Plantation. Sad to see after finding a picture of what the house looked like in its day.

Went to the Center for Birds of Prey and went to see the red wolves at the Sewee Visitor & Environmental Education Center. Great trip and had most of the areas to ourselves. Tons of roads off of of the beaten path.

Would still like to go with some folks that know their way around so we could see the rest of the area.

Here are some of the pics I took.

Thanks Toyman for sharing.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...dventure-Slow-Internet-Warning!-Many-Pictures

Last edited:

SCBrian

Observer
Thanks for posting up! I live just above the Forest. We made an overnight trip earlier this year staying at a hunt camp. We day tripped out on the boat to Capers Island then stayed at the Hunt Camp instead of driving home. Let me know if you head back down this way and also let me know where your from.

dmc1

Adventurer
You are one lucky person to live in such a wonderful place. I live in Rock Hill SC which is just south of Charlotte NC. Can't wait to get back down that way. Hopefully the wife and I will get back down that way after the first of the year. Thanks for responding.

Thanks for posting up! I live just above the Forest. We made an overnight trip earlier this year staying at a hunt camp. We day tripped out on the boat to Capers Island then stayed at the Hunt Camp instead of driving home. Let me know if you head back down this way and also let me know where your from.

Toyman01

Adventurer
There are a lot of miles of gravel and dirt roads in the Francis Marion. I've spent days out there and still haven't covered all of it. We are trying to set aside some time for a camping trip to Guilliard Lake, but life keeps getting in the way. My favorite areas are near the Santee River. There are several places that are worth the trip. Battery Warren, Santee Bluffs and Hampton Plantation come to mind.

If you have a canoe or kayak, you might also try Wee Tee WMA off of Highway 41. There isn't much in the way of roads, but they have a couple of swamp lakes that are neat to paddle. I also strongly recommend paddling the Wambaw Creek Canoe Trail. Don't try these in the heat of the summer though, the mosquito will suck you dry.

Glad you had a great trip and thanks for sharing.

Edit: Sorry I missed your PM.

Last edited:

SCBrian

Observer
There are a lot of miles of gravel and dirt roads in the Francis Marion. I've spent days out there and still haven't covered all of it. We are trying to set aside some time for a camping trip to Guilliard Lake, but life keeps getting in the way. My favorite areas are near the Santee River. There are several places that are worth the trip. Battery Warren, Santee Bluffs and Hampton Plantation come to mind.

If you have a canoe or kayak, you might also try Wee Tee WMA off of Highway 41. There isn't much in the way of roads, but they have a couple of swamp lakes that are neat to paddle. I also strongly recommend paddling the Wambaw Creek Canoe Trail. Don't try these in the heat of the summer though, the mosquito will suck you dry.

Toyman: Let me know if you want to head out for a paddle. Wambaw Creek has been on my list for a while but I haven't made it yet. Also sending PM.

dmc1

Adventurer
I would be interested in a paddle trip too if anyone is getting a one together.

Last edited:

cmflossin

Thanks for the post. I'm here in Fort Mill and we're always looking for good local trips. Will keep this one in mind...

SCBrian

Observer
Thanks to you and Toyman for the nudge to get out and explore. We left fairly early to start at Gilliard Lake, then to Battery Warren, and finished up at Hampton Plantation before heading back home. We grabbed a Geo Cache or two at Hampton which is always a highlight for the kids.

Gilliard Lake.
IMG_1519.JPG
IMG_1520.JPG

Battery Warren.
IMG_1521.JPG
IMG_1529.JPG
IMG_1524.JPG
IMG_1526.JPG

St James Santee Parish Church.
IMG_1530.JPG

National Historic Site: Hampton Plantation.
IMG_1533.JPG
IMG_1539.JPG
IMG_1540.JPG

dmc1

Adventurer
Sounds like you all had a great time. Lots to see if you just get and find it! We headed over towards Sumter National Forest about a week ago and drove through the country. Came across the "Old Brick Church". Built in the late 1700's. Church was in amazing shape. Looked at a lot of the graves and came across this. He was cold laying on that piece of granite! Be careful while you are out since it is warming up some.

WanderingJim

Yep, now that it is warming up, we do need to be mindful. By the way, that's a king snake - "Red on Black friend of Jack, Red on Yellow, Kill a Fellow".

dmc1

Adventurer
Yes sir, you are correct. It is a scarlet king snake. I did not say in the original post to see who would know that it was not a coral snake. Be careful.

Yep, now that it is warming up, we do need to be mindful. By the way, that's a king snake - "Red on Black friend of Jack, Red on Yellow, Kill a Fellow".

93burban

Observer
Would love to plan a trip since it's only a hop skip and jump from Lexington SC. You may have already said but where is the best place to get maps ?

dmc1

Adventurer
Would love to plan a trip since it's only a hop skip and jump from Lexington SC. You may have already said but where is the best place to get maps ?

You can get maps from Walmart, Kingfisher makes good maps, SC DNR has some maps, and I use Google Earth. I locate a spot I want to visit and then review on GE to see the roads. Works fairly well...I'm terrible with directions and so far I have been able to get in and get out!

Make sure you go through Francis Marion. It is nice! Sumter National Forest is nice too! SC has a ton of places if you can just find them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles