2015/2016 New 3rd gen Tacoma Debut in Detriot

hoptroll

Pool Boy
It would be nice to see the compact/midsize trucks be able to have a better payload out of the box. It bothers me that you have to have to own a full size truck to actually use it as a truck or put a bunch of money into mods. The compact pickup has been replaced by the midsized market, but they have the same payload. With current improvements in powerplants, it would be nice to see a new Tacoma that is a little better on gas. I would love a Hilux even if it were gas. 7ft bed option, nice compact body style, 1 ton capacity, work trims....drool

Clutch

<---Pass
It would be nice to see the compact/midsize trucks be able to have a better payload out of the box. It bothers me that you have to have to own a full size truck to actually use it as a truck or put a bunch of money into mods. The compact pickup has been replaced by the midsized market, but they have the same payload. With current improvements in powerplants, it would be nice to see a new Tacoma that is a little better on gas. I would love a Hilux even if it were gas. 7ft bed option, nice compact body style, 1 ton capacity, work trims....drool

That would be nice, don't think the American market will support it. As even the regular cabs no matter the size, are about dead here. Even the 1/2 Ton Ram Ecodiesel has a fairly poor payload, a RCLB 4X4 is only 1294 lbs. Believe that is even less than the Tacoma.

toyota_hilux_gen_6_large_50024.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
As even the regular cabs no matter the size, are about dead here.
I can't remember if someone linked it here or not but the two things killing regular cab trucks are (a) the transformation of the pickup truck from work vehicle to heavy duty station wagon (look in the suburbs and see how many crew cab trucks you see now) and (b) CAFE requirements which are based on the "footprint." The "footprint" is the area of the square that is made by multiplying the wheelbase by the track width. The bigger the square, the lower the MPG requirements, which means that the CAFE - which was designed to force manufacturers to make more fuel efficient vehicles - is actually doing the opposite by imposing more relaxed standards on bigger vehicles. This gives the manufacturers the incentive to make their vehicles as big as possible, especially since the MPG differences between reg-cab shortbeds and double-cab-longbeds are minor.

Clutch

<---Pass
I can't remember if someone linked it here or not but the two things killing regular cab trucks are (a) the transformation of the pickup truck from work vehicle to heavy duty station wagon (look in the suburbs and see how many crew cab trucks you see now) and (b) CAFE requirements which are based on the "footprint." The "footprint" is the area of the square that is made by multiplying the wheelbase by the track width. The bigger the square, the lower the MPG requirements, which means that the CAFE - which was designed to force manufacturers to make more fuel efficient vehicles - is actually doing the opposite by imposing more relaxed standards on bigger vehicles. This gives the manufacturers the incentive to make their vehicles as big as possible, especially since the MPG differences between reg-cab shortbeds and double-cab-longbeds are minor.

Oh yeah, I remember reading that article.

Here is the link

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/04/is-the-regular-cab-pickup-doomed.html

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Hmmm...they might of not screwed it up.

Might be a mini Tundra...which other than the giant front grill isn't bad over all.

p nut

butter
Pssst, that's a Duramax, don't go giving us Powerstroke drivers a bad name... ;)

Man, all y'all look alike!

:)

2015NAIAS_Toyota_Tacoma_Teaser.jpg

At least the trailer harness is in a better location.

I like what I'm reading, although questionable how credible the source is. My guess is, like Clutch said, a mini-Tundra styling, with the current 4Runner engine with little tweaks to eek out 2MPG more.

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
If I was a betting man, I'd say that Toyota is going to wait and see how well the new Colorado/Canyon diesel does in the US market before spending the $$ to bring a diesel here.
I think most of the advantages of a diesel are either overstated or are entirely missing from the current crop of new, emissions compliant diesel engines. Given a higher initial cost for diesel and higher fuel prices, and only a marginal improvement in MPG, I can't imagine that very many people would select a diesel option even if it was offered in a small truck.

Bingo

Clutch

<---Pass
I like what I'm reading, although questionable how credible the source is. My guess is, like Clutch said, a mini-Tundra styling, with the current 4Runner engine with little tweaks to eek out 2MPG more.

It "might" look a bit like the 2016 Hilux...I see some Tundra influences. Perhaps the 3.5 V6 out of the Highlander will be the engine???

Toyota_Hilux_1.jpg

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I hope that isn’t what it turns out to look like. That is about as bland and vanilla as an old farts 2004 Camry. And, what is going on with those confusing angles at the upper corner of the rear window channels???….yuk. Boring

Clutch

<---Pass
I hope that isn't what it turns out to look like. That is about as bland and vanilla as an old farts 2004 Camry. And, what is going on with those confusing angles at the upper corner of the rear window channels???&#8230;.yuk. Boring

I dunno larry...the Colly looks awfully similar to that HiLux rendering. :p

I am guessing more squared off wheel arches like the Tundra and 4Runner...and more aggressive angular front clip. Would be nice if they lost the huge fender flares and go with something like on the 1st gen Taco.

The ZR2 Colly did them right.

chevrolet-colorado-zr2-concept-la.jpg

Perhaps the wheel arches will look like the Highlander?

Front end looks similar to the 2016 HiLux renderings...

411d7d0ab35c920d12e508733a71f030x.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94