2015/2016 New 3rd gen Tacoma Debut in Detriot

Dougnuts

And Ford will also be coping Toyota's system in their next generation ecoboost engines. Hmm...I wonder why?

There are a few advantages of port injection. One of which is the reduced particulate emissions in certain situations. With the upcoming particulate standards, that's the main reason Ford is adding the port injection.

moonshiner

Observer
I read those articles but there is nothing in there about copying any ones design or even setting up the engines in the same manner. I think all car designers and developers take bits and pieces from each other and develop in a way that works for them.

I'm pretty sure no automaker is going to admit to copying someone else's design. But my post was in reply to someone's assertion that Ford's engines are "cutting edge" when in fact they are just implementing old tech, like the dual injection system that Toyota has been using for a decade now.

moonshiner

Observer
There are a few advantages of port injection. One of which is the reduced particulate emissions in certain situations. With the upcoming particulate standards, that's the main reason Ford is adding the port injection.

Emissions and drive-ability are a couple of the many reasons for adding port injection, but the bigger reason is carbon buildup and the automakers are not about to admit that their engines have a carbon buildup problem.

moonshiner

Observer
ecoboost, aluminum body and much better electronics (including integrated brake controller) are a few examples when you compare full size truck to full size truck.

To say Toyota is farther advanced that Ford simply isn't the case. One could make a similar argument about the Dodge (diesel, 8/9 speed transmisions, 5-link rear). Toyota isn't "leading" at this point.

Does it mean the Toyota is bad? No. But let's at least be honest when making comparisons re: who is using more "advanced" technologies.

EDIT: You are correct in that none of those technologies are exactly "new," sans perhaps the 8/9 speed trannies from Dodge. But they ARE "new" in the full size truck segment.

I thought we're talking about engine tech, but I find it funny you bring up better electronics. MFT is a joke. It's better now, but not even close to class leading. Integrated brake controller is of no use to boat owners. And electric trailer brakes are inferior to hydraulic surge brakes anyway. So RAM has 9 speed now? That's news to RAM. Ecoboost is old tech, but according to you if no else implements a particular tech before, than that makes that tech "new". Okay, I guess that means Toyota is way ahead in the braking department because no one else is using fixed brake calipers.

Of course, I've never said Toyota was farther advance than Ford, I was merely rebutting someone else claim that Ford engines are "cutting edge". Which they are not.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Interesting you say that. I've never said Tacomas are garbage - you'll hve to find a quote for that. But I am NOT a Toyota Fanboy who cannot acknowledge where Toyota is leaving the community behind. I choose to drive a Toyota but I acknowledge it's flaws. Some of y'all don't like to hear that Toyota has flaws - that's just not honest.

And yeah - the Tundra has been into the shop 4 Times for issues that should not exist in a $40K truck (and it's a common issue, which you have actually researched yourself, PM'd me links to potential solutions, yet seem to continue to deny that it exists?????) Not sure why you have such an issue with someone trying to find a solution (Dealer does have part, BTW, thank you.)

BTW - I own 4 Toyotas currently.

Your little flaw is negligible. It's not like those awesome videos I posted of ecoboost issues. Your truck will operate fine for for 200k miles with that whistle. You just choose to cry and call them garbage. I'll find some posts from you calling Tacoma frames garbage

The following is a signature.
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

bkg

Explorer
I thought we're talking about engine tech, but I find it funny you bring up better electronics. MFT is a joke. It's better now, but not even close to class leading. Integrated brake controller is of no use to boat owners. And electric trailer brakes are inferior to hydraulic surge brakes anyway. So RAM has 9 speed now? That's news to RAM. Ecoboost is old tech, but according to you if no else implements a particular tech before, than that makes that tech "new". Okay, I guess that means Toyota is way ahead in the braking department because no one else is using fixed brake calipers.

Of course, I've never said Toyota was farther advance than Ford, I was merely rebutting someone else claim that Ford engines are "cutting edge". Which they are not.

Ah - i see where the lines crossed. I was thinking all up more progressive, you were focused on engine. No biggie.

Ram has a 9 speed behind the diesel, I thought.

I get your point that nothing is "new." In a truck, to your quote, "no one has implement(ed) a particular tech before" is, I guess, the point I was making. New tech in a truck - which was my point on the comparison.

I do think the ecoboost has more technology than the iForce. Buddy loves his, and I do envy his mileage.

bkg

Explorer
Your little flaw is negligible. It's not like those awesome videos I posted of ecoboost issues. Your truck will operate fine for for 200k miles with that whistle. You just choose to cry and call them garbage. I'll find some posts from you calling Tacoma frames garbage

Tacoma frames are garbage (compared to competition). I'll stand by that. Didn't say the Tacoma as a whole was garbage.

Sure, truck may run fine for 200K miles. But again, $40K truck shouldn't have a whistle that an owner should have to live with at that price point. Feel free to call it crying all you want - I expect Toyota to be better than "deal with an annoying whistle" and washing their hands of it.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Tacoma frames are garbage (compared to competition). I'll stand by that. Didn't say the Tacoma as a whole was garbage.

Sure, truck may run fine for 200K miles. But again, $40K truck shouldn't have a whistle that an owner should have to live with at that price point. Feel free to call it crying all you want - I expect Toyota to be better than "deal with an annoying whistle" and washing their hands of it.

Oh boy. Here we go.

The following is a signature.
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

moonshiner

Observer
Ah - i see where the lines crossed. I was thinking all up more progressive, you were focused on engine. No biggie.

Ram has a 9 speed behind the diesel, I thought.

I get your point that nothing is "new." In a truck, to your quote, "no one has implement(ed) a particular tech before" is, I guess, the point I was making. New tech in a truck - which was my point on the comparison.

I do think the ecoboost has more technology than the iForce. Buddy loves his, and I do envy his mileage.

Umm...I thought it was pretty clear to you that we were talking about engine tech (see your own post #773)

The only thing the ecoboost has that the iForce lacks are turbos and direct injection. But then one could argue that the iForce have some things the ecoboost lacks too, like two extra cylinders, displacement, port injection, variable length intake and stainless steel tubular exhaust headers. Plus you can add a supercharger to counter the ecoboost turbos and get it with a factory warranty.

RAM only has a 8 speed. The only 9 speed FCA has is for transverse FWD/AWD application.

Last edited:

carbon60

Explorer
After all the discussion of "advanced", a ton of us go looking for something much older and simpler to drive, because it will fail in a way that can be understood and probably remedied in the field. Irony.

Dougnuts

After all the discussion of "advanced", a ton of us go looking for something much older and simpler to drive, because it will fail in a way that can be understood and probably remedied in the field. Irony.

I agree. If Toyota dropped in a turbo4, they would've lost a lot of people. Even dropping the displacement has created a handful of complaints. Part of the allure of my 3.6L Outback was that it used the tried and true engine.

Me and the wife have been talking trucks lately and it's hard to go for a Tacoma (the size we want) when the full size F150 and Sierra are the same price. With that said, I prefer conservative engineering, so if the new seat height in the Tacoma (which I just learned about today) is good, I could see myself going with the option that appears to give less for the money because resale and reliability will make up for it.

http://m.motortrend.com/features/mt...16_toyota_tacoma/??eml=1226344&sp_rid=5117330

bkg

Explorer

Very true....

Doc_

Sammich!

Yup, that's definitely the boat I'm in.
From a mechanical standpoint, many things have actually made engine work considerably better: EFI is so much less troublesome than carburetors and offer so many perks and a cleaner engine bay, but all the ancillary stuff and the large-by-huge styling of today's USDM cars are just a major turnoff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior