Box Rocket 1995 FZJ80 Build

Box Rocket

Got to ask this but what mpg did you get on the way back from Grand Junction? How it do in the hills?

It drove really well on the hills. I'm sure I'll lose some power with the new tires until I regear but it felt very nice on the drive home. As you know these are gas guzzlers so you can never have high expectations for fuel economy. My best napkin math says ~12-13mpg on the drive home.

Box Rocket

looks nice.
How'd ya paint the flairs and door handles?

For now it's just plasti-dip. I've been surprised how well some of the plasti-dipped pieces have held up on my Tacoma so I thought I'd give it a try on the 80. The nice thing about it is, I can just peel it off if needed and then redo it.

Box Rocket

Had to change plans on tires. Nobody anywhere has the 345/75R16 KM2s unless I buy used ones and I don't want to do that. So I'm going a bit more conservative with 315/75R16 Goodyear MTRs. Ordered them today and should have them in a week.

Box Rocket

I got the ARB bumper off my '93 last night. The bumper has definitely seen better days. For starters its a modified bumper with all the lower skirts cut off. All the winch brackets etc have been removed. I'll add a new winch mount when I get a winch for it but it will just use a Haws fairlead on the smooth face of the bumper since I plan to use synthetic rope.I like the better clearance it has. It's been well used on my '93 for more than a decade so it's got a couple of little dents and tweaks. Also since it's been sitting on the side of my house for a couple years the weather has been working on it and there were some rusty spots. I got it pulled off a couple nights ago and cleaned up. Sanded it down to bare steel and rattlecanned it with Rustoleum Satin since it has a finish that looks similar to the original powder coat. I got it mounted to the new truck this morning and moved over my HIDs from the Tacoma. It's starting to look a bit more like a real cruiser now.

Last edited:

Box Rocket

Last night Zach Scott from PrInSu Designs came over to measure it for one of his roof racks. He's been primarily focused on Tacomas and FJ Cruisers so this will be the first rack for a 80 series. I really like the design of his racks. All aluminum, low profile, very sturdy with good lines. One thing that will be great about it is the side rails will not have individual feet but a rail that runs the entire length of the gutter so the load will be spread out well and the load capacity should be outstanding. I think it will be the best looking rack option of 80 series cruisers on the market. He should have a prototype worked up to test fitment in a couple weeks and then the final version will be built.

Here's a photo of one of his Tacoma racks. This is actually two racks, one on the truck and one on the camper. But should give you an idea of the basic look of the one for the cruiser.

rickashay

Explorer
Looking great Adam! I'm sure your son is pretty thrilled about the oncoming Tacoma too!

I really like those roof racks as well, very unique looking design and so low-pro.

Box Rocket

Cool to see you back in an 80! Lets take a day trip to play in the snow soon. I get to SLC saturday eve.

there's hardly any snow anywhere right now! Sucks. BTW, I leave town on 12/26 and should be back by 12/30. I'm still trying to find out if our local club is doing a run on New Years Day. We traditionally have a snow run on New Years and it would be fun to have you along if it happens. But we need some snow first.
Here's a few pics from last years snow run.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Not any snow at Whistler either. I drove around on 3" yesterday. Hardly exciting. Our sled dogs were getting all wound up, but they probably haven't seen the long range forecast has rain in it through Xmas!

Box Rocket

The roof rack looks very cool, how close to the roof will it be? Nice and low will be slick. Can't wait to see it!

The measurements we took the other night would put the bottom of the platform about 1.5" above the roofline. Should be perfect. Low as possible with enough room to keep anything from hitting the roof. The crossmembers for the rack have almost no deflection so we could have maybe gone a little closer than that but it should be pretty tight.

seanpistol

Explorer
there's hardly any snow anywhere right now! Sucks. BTW, I leave town on 12/26 and should be back by 12/30. I'm still trying to find out if our local club is doing a run on New Years Day. We traditionally have a snow run on New Years and it would be fun to have you along if it happens. But we need some snow first.
Here's a few pics from last years snow run.

Is this Skyline Drive, or the "B"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles