Power tank vs Puma Compressor vs ARB Twin vs ARB Twin kit Test Results

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I'll admit I'm a Power Tank fan. Remembering to fill it isn't really an issue. I use mine regularly and I fill it up maybe 2x a year.

As far as comparing a Power Tank to a homebuilt kit, there is no comparison. The bottles, the hoses, the fittings and especially the regulators aren't even close. The regulator is the key to the whole system and theirs are the best.

Nice review.

PS Can you run tools off a compressor? I run an impact and sometimes a cutting wheel off my Power Tank and I like having that option.

How do you keep the lines from freezing running air tools?

My biggest problem/complaint when I was using a Power tank was running out of air. You can only air up large tires so many times when on a trip and then you are #%^&@!

I now run air tools off my PUMA with a 100% duty cycle. I do need to wait to catch up but it never quits producing air.

Romer

Adventurer
The regulator was the expensive two dial one that provides high flow. Not sure the part number. I have since sold it so I can't get a better picture. You can see a side view in the picture above

Romer

Adventurer
I am selling it locally for $250, but I don't want to ship it. Shipping costs would not be cheap. I will likely end of giving it to one of my daughters (Both wheel)

You can actually buy it on ebay for $225 http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-volt-1-5...013?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b81b7fed
with free shipping

I have the jumper cables wired in and additional parts with it for someone who wants to hard wire it to their vehicle

$225 is a good deal, maybe I will buy another one and give both girls one :D

Last edited:

Romer

Adventurer
Frenchie, good point on the 4 tires. The ARB tank refilled pretty quick and I am guessing (will test next time out) that it would be filled by the time I disconnected and moved tires. I have filled multiple tires with the Puma and never really took the time to measure say the 3rd or 4th tire

The time isn't to do with being home by a certain time, filling the tires is between me and a beer. Plus I am an engineer, I like toys that perform better even if I don't need them. I have 4 MV-50's, and have one in the wifes car in case she gets into trouble in town. They are nice inexpensive and reliable compressors. My daughter filled one tire while I filled 3 with the Puma after a Run in the fall.

I appreciate your history and perspective, thanks for sharing it.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I am not saying fast is better then a little slower. If I have been out 4 wheeling for the day and I am airing up tires if the whole process for my vehicle was 8, 10, 12 or 15 minutes it is unimportant to me. If I have the only compressor and I am airing up 10 vehicles with my one compressor, it would matter more to me.

Been there, done that. Too many times. I carry a spare compressor just for that reason.

Romer

Adventurer
Just an update on my setup personally. I sold the 100 and bought a 200 series Land Cruiser. In doing the lockers I went for the twin ARB based on how well it worked for me. In the last 18 months of wheeling including 2 separate week long visits to Moab, the ARB has not let me down. I finish quicker and help my buddies air up

dsc00901-jpg.1210318

rack-jpg.1469860

Attachments

• DSC00901.jpg
    DSC00901.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 35

TwinStick

Explorer
I think this was a great write up & gives those with no air experience some things to ponder. Most people do not have the funds or time to test all 4 like you did. Good on you to do so. Thanks. I have been eyeing the Twin Kit for some time. Now that we have a 4Runner and our Power Wagon, the Twin Kit just makes more sense & can be easily switched between vehicles. That is huge for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles