Power tank vs Puma Compressor vs ARB Twin vs ARB Twin kit Test Results

Romer

Adventurer
I searched for information on which setup was better and now that I have all 4 I ran a test.

I am putting lockers in my 40, so rather than buy a compressor for the lockers and another for the tires, I bought the twin and mounted it under the seat in the cab

Note: after the initial test with the ARB twin I sold the CO2 tank and am selling the Puma setup and bought the ARB Kit in a box for the 100 series

The Configuration​​

Tires are 34" Toyo MT's on my 100 series

used the same Staun deflater to air down to 18, verified with same gauge each time

Used same hose and inflater/gauge each time

I did not count the time I stopped airing up to check the pressure

Each air up was from 18-42 psi and in my driveway under the same weather conditions

For the ARB and Puma, I waited until the compressor had cycled off to start filling the tire

Results​​

• Powertank 10lb tank and Regulator - 1 minute 16 seconds - Mounted in my 100 series
  • ARB Twin Compressor (No Air Tank) - 1 minute 55 seconds - Mounted in my 40 series
  • Puma withy 1.5 gal tank - 2 minutes 18 seconds - Stand alone hooked to my 100 series battery
  • ARB Twin Compressor Kit ( includes 1 gal tank) - 1 min 25 seconds
I was surprised the tank made the ARB Twin that much faster. I should note it reached 32psi at exactly 1min

Cost Considerations​

The Powertank is $510 and then about $10-$20 each fill up. Fast, but need to remember to keep it filled

The ARB Twin costs $500 for just the compressor. You have to buy the pump-up kit for tires and the manifold for lockers. Only the $30 pump up kit cost is relative to this, so $530 and never having to worry about filling up the tank

The Puma is less than $300 and some hard mount it in the truck and you never have to worry about filling up a tank

The ARB Twin Kit - $800

All 4 of these times are fast if you have ever used a smaller compressor to air up your tires which is closer to minutes to do what these did.

The Puma is a great value and setup for the money

The Powertank has the best time, but you have to fill the tank and every 5 years certify it

The ARB Twin kit has the best compressor times and is modular, you can use it between several vehicles if you own more than one

The ARB twin becomes the value/performance option if your going to install lockers and don't have a compressor for that

For my 100 series I had been using the Powertank and bought the Puma to install and replace the Powertank, but I used both for a year. Once I did the first test with the ARB Twin I bought the ARB Twin kit and sold my Powertank and am selling the Puma

ARB Twin.JPG
puma.jpg
Powertank.JPG
ARB Kit.JPG

Last edited:
This test of equipment was most valuable for me, as I am considering which compressor to buy-of many. I have been pretty set on the ARB Twin- mounted inboard for air to tires and future locker- and this confirms it. I thank you kindly for taking the time to post this. :)

Mike

v_man

Explorer
cool side by side comparison ...

There's really no need to drop $500 plus on the name brand power tank ... you can pick up Co2 tanks on the cheap , steel or aluminum , all day on CL . My 20# Co2 tank plus a regulator and cheap hose and chuck was about $125 . But like you said , the drawbacks are that it's kinda heavy , and you gotta refill 'em...

...and be careful with running that ARB compressor in the cab under your seat , they can get pretty hot :campfire:

(at least mine does)

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
I only have experience with my buddy's twin ARB compressor. It broke 2x, but ARB stood by it. Mounted in the rear fenderwell inside the 2dr JK.

I'm still rompin with a York and it smokes his in time to air up. Both same tires, 37" Toyos.

Part of the selecting the option for oneself should consider frequency of use as well.

fireball

Explorer
Thanks for doing this test and sharing the results. Very helpful! I have the regular ARB compressor for lockers and airing up, the CKMA12. It is suitable for airing up if you aren't in a hurry. If I remember I'll put a stopwatch on it next time, I have 33s and generally go from 18 to 38 at the end of the day. With the ARB air up kit you can connect it to a tire and then go over to your buddy's truck and chat for a few minutes. I like to use this time to tell lies about the wheeling we just did, so speed is not super important to me.

It's a ~$250 jump from the single to the twin ARB so a decent chunk of change.

v_man

Explorer
Whitnukle , I'd love to see your York setup , I'm hoping to get one going before too long .

How did you mount it to the motor , did you fab the bracket ? Also is yours serpentine or V belt ....

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Thanks for doing this test and sharing the results. Very helpful! I have the regular ARB compressor for lockers and airing up, the CKMA12. It is suitable for airing up if you aren't in a hurry. If I remember I'll put a stopwatch on it next time, I have 33s and generally go from 18 to 38 at the end of the day. With the ARB air up kit you can connect it to a tire and then go over to your buddy's truck and chat for a few minutes. I like to use this time to tell lies about the wheeling we just did, so speed is not super important to me.

It's a ~$250 jump from the single to the twin ARB so a decent chunk of change.

Beware, that ARB pump if not kept to the duty cycle will break. Ask me how I know. :Wow1:

Whitnukle , I'd love to see your York setup , I'm hoping to get one going before too long .

How did you mount it to the motor , did you fab the bracket ? Also is yours serpentine or V belt ....

Here you go bud.

Fabbed brackets. Another person had a design that I had to tweak. I went with V belt so that Serp belt would always be stock. Reduce the "custom" part on this aspect.

IMG_20131025_162708_517_zps6b9eb94e.jpg

Manifold next to the ARB comp for the lockers.

IMG_20131022_173116_771_zpsb73a1f85.jpg

Air tank is under bed, above driveshaft.

Romer

Adventurer
Are you talking the twin ARB or another ARB compressor you had related to the duty cycle? I know it was used on the Expedition tour across 7 continents and that seemed like a pretty rugged test over a long period of time.

My use will be small compared to that or others that go out every weekend

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
In my post #4 I speak to the twin ARB which has 100% duty cycle.

In my post #7 I quote fireball who is referring to the single ARB comp, which has a 50% duty cycle, 30 min on 30 min off.

Gotlime?

I'll admit I'm a Power Tank fan. Remembering to fill it isn't really an issue. I use mine regularly and I fill it up maybe 2x a year.

As far as comparing a Power Tank to a homebuilt kit, there is no comparison. The bottles, the hoses, the fittings and especially the regulators aren't even close. The regulator is the key to the whole system and theirs are the best.

Nice review.

PS Can you run tools off a compressor? I run an impact and sometimes a cutting wheel off my Power Tank and I like having that option.

Romer

Adventurer
PUMA specs are as follows:
3.4 cfm at 40 psi and 3 cfm at 90 psi.1.5 gallon oil-less air compressor. 150 PSI MAX / 135 PSI WORKING PRESSURE

ARB Twin Specs are as follows
6.16CFM
ARB -Air tools rated up to 85LPM [3CFM] @ 6Bar [90PSI] continuous supply.
ARB -Air tools rated higher than 85LPM [3CFM] @ 6Bar [90PSI] using an optional air tank suitable to the run time requirements.

I know people who run air tools on both. They say sometimes you have to wait to recharge a bit. The tan helps in both setups. I haven't run air tools myself so I don't have any personal experience.

I am not trying to say one is better than the other because a lot has to do with personal preference. I am just posting the data from my Driveway test under the same conditions. If Price was a factor I would go for the PUMA. I was more interested in performance and I wanted a compressor to replace my CO2 tank. That was my preference after running CO2 for 15 years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier