Piggyback Motorbike

I'm thinking I may buy a motorcycle to replace my bicycle for my long adventures. I want something in case the main vehicle has a breakdown, to explore, or in case of an off road emergency where a faster retreat may be necessary, among other reasons. I will need something I can easily mount on a trailer hitch and preferably something that swings out so I can access the back of the truck and hopefully a new FWC Hawk. So, I know very little about motorcycles, and I am quite a large person at 6'9" tall and weighing in at 265 lbs. What I'm looking for is anybody's ideas and opinions for purchasing a new and or used motorbike for such an endeavor. I'm not looking for anything really big and powerful that I'd need to pull on a trailer, nor am I thinking that I'll be doing anything like jumps, or driving in a barrel, :)etc.

Also any ideas on a hitch mount would be mighty welcome too.

Thank you.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
When these threads have come up in the past, I always recommend the Yamaha TW200. It is a small, fat wheeled bike that can go anywhere. I would still recommend it. But given you're 6'9", something like a Suzuki DRZ400 would also be a good choice. Durable, but a bit taller for you to spread out on. It ways just a bit over 300 lbs, which is fine for most trailer hitch carriers.

Let me also recommend you take a Basic Rider course. Even if you only plan to use the motorcycle as a lifeboat, they can still be dangerous in naive hands. Plus, you may find you end up riding a lot more than you plan. An unfortunate side effect of riding a motorcycle is all encompassing feelings of fun.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Yup, the Yamaha TW200 is pretty much the go-to bike as a expo dingy.
I'm 6'4" and have no issues, yet someone 5'4" can ride them also.
6'9"...... I'd try one on for size first.

Rukus?

I realize they're small, but what would y'all think of an off road Honda Rukus? I recently got to drive one and yes it was a bit small but..modified..?

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I realize they're small, but what would y'all think of an off road Honda Rukus? I recently got to drive one and yes it was a bit small but..modified..?
A buddy had one of the 50cc Ruckus and it was OK, but rather limited for any sort of 'performance' (certainly not 'freeway' or anything faster then 45 mph if you are lucky performance). They are a scooter after all. The 250cc Big Ruckus might be a different story, but I believe they go for some pretty hefty change since thye are 'rare'.
Mike (mhiscox) seems to 'expo' on a BIG Ruckus HERE
And an Expo thread on Ruckuss (or is it Rucki) HERE

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Let me also recommend you take a Basic Rider course. Even if you only plan to use the motorcycle as a lifeboat, they can still be dangerous in naive hands. Plus, you may find you end up riding a lot more than you plan. An unfortunate side effect of riding a motorcycle is all encompassing feelings of fun.

x2

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Look at the Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DR200, Kawasaki Super Sherpa.

If you enjoy riding I think you will quickly find wanting for a larger bike, simply for fit purposes. But start small and enjoy!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Mike (mhiscox) seems to 'expo' on a Ruckus HERE
Actually, I profit from having the Honda PS250 Big Ruckus, which, with five times the displacement, is kind of a different animal . . . and, in my opinion, a better choice as an adjunct to overlanding activities. The Big Ruckus can sustain freeway speeds and it can handle a passenger (though not optimally at the same time). And it'd be street-legal everywhere, whereas the little Ruckus will have restrictions in many states against freeway use, and would be a pretty annoying bike to be stuck behind in many traffic and highway situations. A Big Ruckus is a bit over 300 pounds, so much less easy to tote around, but it is more of a real motorcycle than a racy-looking moped, though it shares--and maybe even one-ups--some zany elements of the Ruckus styling . . .

HondaBigRuckus.jpg

credit: motorscooterguide.net

Sadly, they were only imported in 2005 (yellow frame) and 2006 (silver frame), and not all that many, so a good, low mileage Big Ruckus is a pretty desirable bike that might set you back about $4K. Lots of fun, though, and pretty capable, and it's easy enough to carry one on a hitch hauler.

As for the size issue, there's some room to stretch out to the front, but the low seat height might put your knees about parallel with your ears at a stop. ;)

Good luck finding the best compromise.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I think there are some advantages of a Ruckus as an escape pod: It will still get you from A to B, albeit slower than you may want; incredible mpg; and it only weighs 200 lbs, so you can push/carry it over obstacles.

While it doesn't have the dirt prowess of a true dual sport bike, the reduced suspension just means you can't go as fast, not that you can't go. Although I still like how a TW can be loaded down with front and rear racks, a Ruckus seems like it would be a good choice too (if it doesn't get stolen off the back - they're real popular).

Now head over to Totalruckus.com and read up about Wan - the kid who traveled across the US on a Ruckus.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Heck for the 4 k you might spend on that honda you have a nice BMW650 Great bike.
my 99 f650 classic was dirt simple to work on and got 55-60 mpg had the power to go anywhere read highway speeds if needed and still did decent in the dirt.
the 200 mentioned above is a great bike but I think that you would find your self lacking in the power department.
If you have no bike experience perhaps the 200 is a good choice. I down graded from an 1100cc bike to my 650 and could not have been happier
With all of that being said I have spent plenty of time ripping around in honduras 2 up on a 125 cc honda. not ideal but it did just fine
Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles