Possible Fix for Front Seat Back Squeak

TheMole

Adventurer
So ever since I bought my Montero a few months ago, I notice my front driver's side seat back would squeak when pressure is applied to it. It got pretty annoying as any movement I would make while driving would cause the squeaking noise. I pinpointed it to where the left bolster met the mid cushion and decided to remove the panel behind the seat.

On my 98, I first removed 2 philips screws hidden under some plastic caps. Next, just pull down on the panel and it should pop right off. You can see the metal retaining clips that hold the top into place in the following pic.
Montero Front Seatback 02.jpg

After some trial and error by stuffing a rag in difference places, I found that my squeak came from the cushion pushing against the metal bar near the bottom of the cushion. It's easier to spot while you pull the cushion springs back as in the pic below.
Montero Front Seatback 01.jpg

I ended up just using an old t-shirt and stuffing it in between the cushion and the metal bar. A small rag could have worked better and less bulky, but the panel went back on without any issues and there is now some additional lumbar support lol. I have yet to drive it, but will report back with any issues. Hope this helps anyone out there with this issue.
Montero Front Seatback 03.jpg

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Just wanted to say Thanks again for this little HowTo. Totally fixed my squeaky seat. I was on the verge of selling the truck, it was driving me that crazy. All good now. Thanks!

cornfarmer

Observer
Sorry to revive this old thread, I am on a squeak killing rampage, but mine is not in the area above. Mine is definitely coming from behind the lower rear black metal plate (at the bottom). I can reach under there and squeeze the inner frame structure and it seems to go away. Anybody have a similar squeak and did you have to take the seat out to fix it?

Montero%252520Front%252520Seatback%25252003.jpg

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Wish the pics were working but I will have to tackle this. I am noticing the seats are squeaky a bit more since there has been some cooler weather recently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles