72 Bug, Baja for the road

warwgn

Explorer
Looks like you have a pretty good Bug to start with. Here is a little inspiration for you. I've owned my Baja Bug for 34 years and it was completely stock when I got it. Here's a little hint: If you can find a set of VW Thing spindles grab them up and put them on your stock Bug front end for a 3" lift with factory parts.

Already working that deal, guy has a set of spindels, all 4 trailing arms, new ball joints, and the brackets for calipers. trying to get all that for 350 shipped, then just need to pick up some Giha calipers and rotors and pads.

warwgn

Explorer
Doc that Bug sure looks great!!

Got new floor pans and some brake prats on the way, wont be long and pics will start coming to these posts.

warwgn

Explorer
So been thinking as a goal I want to take a trip to Alaska this summer in the bug, will drive it all the way from Missisippi to as far north as I can go. Looks like I better add a roof rack to my plans!!

warwgn

Explorer
Yep sure is, good location but not for a stock tank, will be getting a 20 something gallon fuel cell to replace that.

warwgn

Explorer
Got my thing spindles arms and caliper brackets today, got busy on them and forgot to take a before pick.

gonna take them to a shop to have ball joints pressed out then clean and paint them before new ones go in.

warwgn

Explorer
Roll cage is out, most of the bolts broke. The plasma cutter worked awesome, but the sawzall was just as good for this project and finished it up with that.

next up take the body off.

warwgn

Explorer
Yes, thinking of buying a new cage and cutting this one up to add to it for extra bracing and such. Gonna carry it forward through the firewall to brace the front beam and add a little extra protection to the front end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles