attaching light bar on Baja Rack with deflector

srschick

Adventurer
from the pics I've seen of the Baja standard rack for the LR3/4 (or even for other vehicles), the wind deflector looks like it's welded on.
Is this correct?
if so, how difficult would it be to cut out holes to mount a light bar up front? Is it thick or relatively thin?
I know, I could contact Baja, but I wanted some user experience on this.

Last edited:

Tacoma13SR5

Observer
I recently mounted my PIAA 570 LED lights to my Baja Rack. I love the placement right now. My deflector isn't welded on, but screwed on. All I did was drill into the wind deflector and mounted the lights.

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

enzo

Explorer
I can take some better pics tomorrow if I have time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 21

srschick

Adventurer
so you drilled into the deflector and mounted the lights directly onto it?
Seems to me that it could suffer from vibration, unless the deflector is attached quite solid.

Thanks for the info!

UpperLeft86

I've been trying to figure out a solution to this. I have roughly the same rack (and vehicle) as Tacoma13SR5. I want to put the LED bar underneath the deflector. Problem is space is a bit tight there. But I'd like to maintain a more subtle look, and a bit more aerodynamic efficiency (not that our vehicles have much.) Has anyone mounted their between the rack and the roof, somehow? I saw one guy on the FJC forum that did, but he had the Bajadesigns super slim bar, which is above my pay grade.

srschick

Adventurer
the reason I'm asking is that I would like to mount the bar above the deflector, I just think it would look better that way, and possibly to help with airflow. (as thegreatdivorce mentioned, there's not too much aerodynamic efficiency to begin with)

upon closer examination it looks like the deflector, at least for the LR3, in bolted on as well. That would make it relatively easy to cut out where I wanted to place the mounts on the upper bar. Or maybe the lower bar?

Boost Creep

Adventurer
IMG_4652_zps523344ac.jpg

i've got two baja racks. both deflectors are bolted on. thin-ish metal is easy to bend away to mount clamps on the bars

UpperLeft86

IMG_4652_zps523344ac.jpg

i've got two baja racks. both deflectors are bolted on. thin-ish metal is easy to bend away to mount clamps on the bars

Thanks for posting that! That's exactly what I want to do. I don't suppose you'd be able to post any other photos of how you mounted it?

srschick

Adventurer
Thanks for posting that! That's exactly what I want to do. I don't suppose you'd be able to post any other photos of how you mounted it?

that's what I'm talking about! I think that would be the ideal way to mount it, as long as there's enough clearance to do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94