16" or 17" 35X12.5 tires and wheels

travel dodge

Adventurer
It's time to take off the snow tires and start camping... I currently have 16" wheels that I would like to keep with the snow tires on. I need to buy new wheels. I think I want to do 35X12.5 BFG muds but can only seem to find them for 15's or 17's. It seems the only thing for 16's are in metric sizes. I know this has been talked about before and it seems everyone says that 16" are the best for international use but if I can't find them here how can I find them in latin america? Yea, I know the rest of the world uses metric but even the metric sizes I can find are only 33"ish. Will I be ok if I need to replace a tire or two in a far south country if I go with 17's?

The truck is a dodge 2500 CTD, I am building for camp and travel. I think the tires should last well as I will only using the truck for camp trips during the summer while my comunting will be done by KLR or suby. In the winter when I need a truck I will be using the snow tires again.

Carlyle

Explorer
I would check Craig's List and such as I found a spare set of 16's for my truck for $100 in polished aluminum. Keep looking you'll find them.

hoser

Explorer
The metric size, 315/75-16 has roughly the same dimensions as a 35/12.5-16 tire. I don't know if you can find them down south but they are plentiful in the US. Is that what you are asking?

285/295-76-16 would be in the 33" range, a 315-75-16 is around 34.6", but i am not sure how readily available they would be in other countries, even here in the US they can be difficult to locate in some areas.

travel dodge

Adventurer
I think the 315/75/16 are what I am going to go with as I think 16"'s are the wheels I want to stick with. Any one know much about the new BFG muds the KM2's. They look interesting to me as I have always been a BFG fan.

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
One thing to watch is the load rating. P Metric (315/70R16) is usually a D load range or 8 ply, while a 35x12.50-17 is an E load range or 10 ply. Might make a difference on your CTD, it makes a huge difference on mine.

haven

Expedition Leader
If you plan to travel outside USA and Canada, I'd choose the 16 inch rim diameter. Tires to fit this size rim are much more common in other parts of the world. But since you're planning to keep the original 16 inch rims, maybe it doesn't matter what size the second set of rims is.

Chip Haven

travel dodge

Adventurer
So I am getting 325/75/16 bfg km2's I ordered 5 today. I got new wheels too. So it should look good. I have yet to put my KORE springs on so I hope the don't rub that much, if they do I guess I will just be more motivated to get the lift on.

I have heard mix stuff on the new bfg's. Mostly good. People say they have little road noise and they are said to flex well. We will see. If worse come to worse I will pull out the groving knife and make my own tread.

Bajaroad

Adventurer
Jeep said:
One thing to watch is the load rating. P Metric (315/70R16) is usually a D load range or 8 ply, while a 35x12.50-17 is an E load range or 10 ply. Might make a difference on your CTD, it makes a huge difference on mine.

I recently bought Toyo 315/75-16 MT (35in). They are 10 ply E rated (about 3800lb).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94