Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

tgreening

Expedition Leader
He has a for sale listing here on the portal. It's very custom, but he's asking A LOT for it. I think HDRV's rig went for less than what he's asking if it gives any referene.

HDRV being Mega Ambo, I could have swore he had that up for something like $65k. No idea what it sold for though.

lockedwheels

Adventurer
Anyone removed this padding? I pulled mine off with plans of making it look nicer but there is quite a mess going on underneath it. I was thinking of using a pvc pipe and cutting it in half and painting it to cover the seam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lockedwheels

Adventurer
Anyone removed this padding? I pulled mine off with plans of making it look nicer but there is quite a mess going on underneath it. I was thinking of using a pvc pipe and cutting it in half and painting it to cover the seam.

Disregard. I took care of it.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Shameless plug here which I will delete after expo. And yes its not a "van" based ambo but all the same criteria apply and hopefully I can persuade Chris (@UJOR) will be there to help answer the "van" questions.

Just an FYI for those heading to Overland Expo East.

We will be there and setup in the feature vehicles area. Stop by and say g'day. Hopefully if you cannot see the big pus yellow ambulance we will be flying a boxing kangaroo flag.

We are also running a couple of classes/talks called "DIY Expedition Vehicles" ( Friday at 2PM and Saturday at 10 AM )

Boxing Kangaroo.jpg

FL ambo Baja.jpg

Gold ambo Monument Valley.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Oz, it was great meeting you guys at Expo (we're the American/French couple). You gave us a lot to think about and we've decided to go the ambulance route for sure now! Hoping to have a build going early in 2017! Thanks again for chatting with us.

Vetter

I'm glad to of found this thread, lots of great work and ideas!
I'm new here but I have converted a few E350 vans to 4x4, I think the first one I did was in the late 90's. I was into regular vans until I found a 89 E350 Ambulance with the 7.3 back in 2003, I converted it to 4x4, did some interior work, then drove it till it finally rusted out 11 years later, best work rig I ever had!
With so many accumulated parts over the years, plus now a extra parts Ambulance with a good 7.3, I just purchased a 90 E350 Ambulance with low miles(for a ambulance 128,000) that was used as a Dive Rescue vehicle since 96, the body has very little rust.
So I will be putting a Dana 50 TTB up front, which I already had two in case I found another Ambulance, plus other things as I go. I will also be converting the old aluminum body rear box to a trailer to tow behind the new(for me) ambulance.
Thanks for all the info. look forward to reading more!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'm glad to of found this thread, lots of great work and ideas!
I'm new here but I have converted a few E350 vans to 4x4, I think the first one I did was in the late 90's. I was into regular vans until I found a 89 E350 Ambulance with the 7.3 back in 2003, I converted it to 4x4, did some interior work, then drove it till it finally rusted out 11 years later, best work rig I ever had!
With so many accumulated parts over the years, plus now a extra parts Ambulance with a good 7.3, I just purchased a 90 E350 Ambulance with low miles(for a ambulance 128,000) that was used as a Dive Rescue vehicle since 96, the body has very little rust.
So I will be putting a Dana 50 TTB up front, which I already had two in case I found another Ambulance, plus other things as I go. I will also be converting the old aluminum body rear box to a trailer to tow behind the new(for me) ambulance.
Thanks for all the info. look forward to reading more!

If you haven't seen it .5 Ambo Build is about converting an Ambo box into a trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12