Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

Brianpgreen

Thanks Pat. It was a volunteer fire department with something like a 10 square mile service area. It's a 7.3 powerstroke. He says he has all the maintenance records but I've not seen them yet. The pictures I've seen look great. There's one shot of the underside and it doesn't look like there's much rust at all. I've asked for more pictures.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Brian, you may very well have stumbled on a great find, depending on the asking price! I would love to see the pictures when you get them.

rlrenz

Explorer
It sounds like you may have lucked out and found a real gem.

First of all, when you look at the vehicle, bring along a friend who can serve as your "dose of reality". You can get wound up in the vehicle and not see something that your friend might see.

Obviously, look at the engine, see how it starts, how does it sound, look for leaks, how does it idle, etc. It might be worth having a mechanic check it out, but the records will tell a lot.

When were all the fluids changed? When did it last get a lube job?

Also, look for any sign that the brake lines were replaced. Everyone I know who has bought an ambulance that's more than 10 years old has wound up replacing the brake lines. Both MNtal and I have medium ambulances, and we've both replaced them because we each had a blowout.

Otherwise, look at the age of the batteries. Most ambulance batteries are replaced either annually or semi-annually, and new ones run about $100 each.

Ambulances are built like brick phone booths, and are extremely solid. Your primary concern needs to be the vehicle itself. Ambulances are regularly re-mounted on new trucks to extend their lives since the truck wears out long before the module wears out - I know of at least one builder who offers a 15 year warranty on the module.

Brianpgreen

Anyone here have experience with Excellance ambulances? A 2003 7.3 with 40,000 miles just came up. I've not heard of that brand.

rlrenz

Explorer
The biggies in ambulances are Horton, Braun, and Wheeled Coach - Excellance is one of the smaller builders, but they have a solid reputation for building a good ambulance. Since you probably aren't going to use the ambulance as an ambulance, the more important question is the vehicle chassis. The miles sound about right for a small town ambulance service, but check the maintenance records to see what has been done. If you buy it, I suggest changing all the fluids and doing a lube job. Also, plan on new brake lines fairly soon. Since ambulances are washed regularly, they tend to sit over a long trench drain in a fire station, and the high humidity tends to kill brake lines in about 10 years or so. That same advice also applies to collector fire trucks as well - they have the same problem unless they have air brakes.

The only caution could be if the ambulance you're looking at uses digital switching. The VMUX (Weldon Mfg) system is used by many builders, so you can track down parts fairly easily (not cheap, though - a new node will run about $500), but if they use a proprietary system (like Horton does), you may be forced to go to them for any help or parts. I suggest that you verify that the controls all work and do what they need to do before you buy the ambulance. Also, remember that you may need unique cables and software if you want to change the system's programming.

In my own case, my ambulance uses conventional relays and diodes in the control system. It's a little more cumbersome, but all I need are standard automotive relays at $10 or so each. I can change "programming" with some wire and a few diodes.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Anyone here have experience with Excellance ambulances? A 2003 7.3 with 40,000 miles just came up. I've not heard of that brand.

Brian,

Excellance builds one of the top ambulances in the market today, and their calling card is quality vs. quanity. They also tend to cost a little more than their competition, but you get what you pay for. I almost bought one back in 2013 when I first started looking, but the one I found was too far away at the time. They were also one of the first to build the interior cabinets completely out of aluminum, instead of plywood.

I contacted Excellance back then and spoke with Mr. Dale Leich via email (dale@excellance.com). He was very helpful, and we had quite an extensive conversation over a three day period about how their units are built. That says a lot about their customer service considering he knew from the start I was not intending to buy a vehicle from him. I learned a lot from that conversation about what to look for in the construction, and what some of the shoddy practices were that had been used by manufacturers in older units.

http://excellance.com/

http://www.excellanceinc.com/about-excellance-construction/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuXnrS5Za1w

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
It's cool to hear about a product they take such pride in.

I had a similar experience when I called Crestline... I was upfront that I wasn't in the market to buy a rig, but the were just as helpful and informative. Compared to US companies they're small. There company began when some ambulance drivers set out to build a better ambulance. Seeing what they'd built, neighbouring communities asked them to build them Ambulances. One thing led to another, and they increased production as demand increased.

Ambulances built for paramedics by paramedics. The goal: safest, most fuel efficient, and best designed rigs by management who worked them... and improvements fuelled by feedback from the crews that use them.

I've a friend who used to order ambulances... and he indicated it's a highly competitive field with high dollar contracts. Which makes it all the more impressive these customer support (and executives) are willing to help us with our one off projects built using retired rigs. :D

clarkh

Observer
Trailer Wiring

Building out a different bumper for my e450 this week. Adding a hitch mount and need to get the wiring for it. This is what is back there now. Anyone know if they have a pigtail or harness to hook up a 7 pin to this? ( the red plug)

20170607_114401.jpg

FDM2012

Adventurer
Just hardwired mine on Tuesday, so I could scuttle my old boat at the landfill....

I picked the Hopkins gear up at Walmart, and it was quite simple and straight forward to do.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=hitch converter hopkins&cat_id=0

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hopkins-47185-Multi-Tow-Adapter/16782535

While having to stop on a nasty incline, (near the top of the heap to wait for other trucks to pull out), I immediately sunk down
a little bit into the slodge, and begin to spin my rears.
Automatically, a bulldozer started towards me to help. Of course, I got out, waved him off, locked in
my hubs, and then owned that muddy mound of ruts "Like A Boss" while climbing through it with a 7,000 boat/trailer behind me.

I didn't realize until then that bulldozers had horns. They all thought I was something special out there....

I guess it gets boring at the Tampa landfill....... lol

#TropicalSeason

IMG_20170613_180729.jpg IMG_20170613_170529.jpg IMG_20170613_180652.jpg
IMG_20170614_101939.jpg

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Here ya go Eric...

pedal-harder-and-be-king-of-the-mountain.png

:D :D :D

lockedwheels

Adventurer